GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE exhaust tips

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently installed the AWE switchpath catback on my R. Having an issue with the exhaust tips. I’m having to tighten them down to a point that seems excessive. And this is to get them to where they won’t move. I’ve snapped two bolts already and one stainless one I bought as a replacement. Has anyone else had this issue with not being able to get them tight or to the point of breaking the bolts? Thanks.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If they are anything like the GTI tips the clamping mechanism sucks. I ended up drilling out the holes in the clamp and going with larger grade 8 bolt to get them to finally clamp enough to stay in place without breaking the bolts..

I like the look of the clamps, but they fit like hot garbage.

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
If they are anything like the GTI tips the clamping mechanism sucks. I ended up drilling out the holes in the clamp and going with larger grade 8 bolt to get them to finally clamp enough to stay in place without breaking the bolts..

I like the look of the clamps, but they fit like hot garbage.
Agreed. For how expensive this system is the clamping sucks. Had thought about grade 8, good call. Had almost thought about cutting off their brackets and just getting legit exhaust clamps and locking them down that way. Just a shame. The exhaust system is pretty damn good. Like the quality and sound. But hell, the tips finish it off, and they look great!!! Just worry about them falling off. And ya, the clamp itself is pretty cheap in my opinion. Not very stable.

Last edited:

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Agreed. For how expensive this system is the clamping sucks. Had thought about grade 8, good call. Had almost thought about cutting off their brackets and just getting legit exhaust clamps and locking them down that way. Just a shame. The exhaust system is pretty damn good. Like the quality and sound. But hell, the tips finish it off, and they look great!!! Just worry about them falling off. And ya, the clamp itself is pretty cheap in my opinion. Not very stable.
That was going to be my next step if the larger bolts hadn’t worked.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

What do your clamps look like? My Milltek clamps are solid, wonder if you could use a better replacement?

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
What do your clamps look like? My Milltek clamps are solid, wonder if you could use a better replacement?
Will have to get a picture later but the style of mine are actually built into the exhaust tip itself, it’s not a separate clamp. It’s pretty cheap really. Looking at their website it seems they’ve changed the design to actually use a separate exhaust clamp which would be far more sturdy. I bought my exhaust well over a year ago and just recently got around to installing it. Should’ve waited to buy it I suppose. 😂. Oh well, might wind up cutting the clamps off of these and getting some real clamps for them.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Will have to get a picture later but the style of mine are actually built into the exhaust tip itself, it’s not a separate clamp. It’s pretty cheap really. Looking at their website it seems they’ve changed the design to actually use a separate exhaust clamp which would be far more sturdy. I bought my exhaust well over a year ago and just recently got around to installing it. Should’ve waited to buy it I suppose. 😂. Oh well, might wind up cutting the clamps off of these and getting some real clamps for them.

Ah, I see. Yeah that's a strange design.

Here’s the Milltek clamps.
1707428918186.png

Last edited:

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a known issue with AWE clamps. One solution is to get the tips tack welded in 1 or 2 spots one across another.
Agreed as well. Not a bad idea but a little more permanent. Maybe I’ll see how these hold, but I have my doubts. But again, I think they’ve updated how these mount. Newer style looks better. Maybe need to hit AWE up about it.

WhyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Here’s what they look like. Not the best design. Assuming why they’ve since changed them.

Attachments

• IMG_6879.jpeg
    IMG_6879.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    956.4 KB · Views: 22

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Here’s what they look like. Not the best design. Assuming why they’ve since changed them.
That's what mine look like too, I looked at the website and I think they fixed the design.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I have the track version and I am going to have to look at mine now and see what holds the tips on, because I just dont remember lol. Installed mine like 2 years ago, maybe longer than that.