GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATF Change @50K?

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys,
My wife has '15 Passat w/51K miles, hasn't had $330 50K ATF maint. performed. How crucial is this procedure? There are no signs of leakage and trans performs well... Thx.

Loonster

Ready to race!
Guys,
My wife has '15 Passat w/51K miles, hasn't had $330 50K ATF maint. performed. How crucial is this procedure? There are no signs of leakage and trans performs well... Thx.

Not sure if the Passat has the DSG but if it does then yes, you NEED TO DO IT

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Only needs done if you care about the transmission lasting a day past 100k.

Regular automatic transmission are notoriously shitty, especially built by Volkswagen. Idk if they’ve gotten much better but ask anyone who’s owned a mk4 automatic...they need replaced at 120-150k like clockwork without regular fluid changes and Vw also said they were “lifetime”. Lifetime meaning till the factory 60k warranty is up, after that good luck

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-VW-Lifetime-auto-transmission-fluid-(baloney!!!)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m not confused at all. General rule of thumb is any automatic transmission should be serviced every 50k. Which would you rather, pay for a fluid change or a transmission?

Yes the DSG interval is 40k, but its also not an automatic. It’s a electronically shifted manual

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Regular auto has 50k miles interval. Do it now if you plan on keeping the car. I've done this service on wife's Tiguan. It's not hard but requires some specialty tools like filling tube and scan tool to read the fluid temperature in order to have the correct level.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry I didn't clarify that trannie is non-DSG regular auto. After reading responses, they tell me if trans is DSG, it's a more complex unit; DO the service, and the regular auto, it's inferior; don't chance it- DO the service. I'll locate a reputable mechanic (non-dealer) that would be able to perform this task. With the $$ I save by doing oil changes at home, I can spring for trans service. Ah, the price one pays to drive a kool car. Thx guys...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Sorry I didn't clarify that trannie is non-DSG regular auto. After reading responses, they tell me if trans is DSG, it's a more complex unit; DO the service, and the regular auto, it's inferior; don't chance it- DO the service. I'll locate a reputable mechanic (non-dealer) that would be able to perform this task. With the $$ I save by doing oil changes at home, I can spring for trans service. Ah, the price one pays to drive a kool car. Thx guys...

Auto trans fluid should be done regularly in ANY car if you expect the trans to last. This isn't a VW specific maintenance item.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OP has 51K, warranty is 60K. No brainer. Just hope if it fails VW won't say you neglected the required maintenance.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Only needs done if you care about the transmission lasting a day past 100k.

Regular automatic transmission are notoriously shitty, especially built by Volkswagen. Idk if they’ve gotten much better but ask anyone who’s owned a mk4 automatic...they need replaced at 120-150k like clockwork without regular fluid changes and Vw also said they were “lifetime”. Lifetime meaning till the factory 60k warranty is up, after that good luck

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-VW-Lifetime-auto-transmission-fluid-(baloney!!!)

I WISHED mine lasted that long. Mine had the dreaded undersized revere spool. They wore out quickly and let fluid pass, and you got slipping, especially when cold. The dealer refused to acknowledge there was a problem, AKA VW wouldn't pay for it. There was a transmission shop in New Jersey that identified the problem and specialized in repairing them. I think they honed out the valve housing and made a new piston to fit. Dummy me, I should have had them fix it before moving from the Northeast to Florida. Got to be so annoying I traded it. I loved the 20-valve 1.8T. It was APR Stage 1, and revved to 8,000 RPM. Of course it didn't make any more power but the whine of the engine was worth it.