GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASR Traction control

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
When doing a hard acceleration pull with traction control on as default, I have found that the ECU will cut power if it detects front wheel spin, resulting in what feels like a major hesitation. Turning off the ASR traction control, that power cut does not happen on a similar pull. So my question for the experts is, does the ECU cut power because the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear wheels, or because the engine RPMs are increasing but the vehicle is not accelerating because the clutch is slipping. I don't think a slipping clutch will trigger the ASR and a power cut, but it's a topic for discussion.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Its all using the ABS unit & its sensors...nothing to do with clutch slip it only looks at wheel speed..ie driven-vs non driven..& left -vs-right..& ASR will tell the ECU to cut spark ignition...

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ya the clutch slipping wont trigger traction control, instead it'll cause the gear indicator in the dash to disappear because the car isn't sure what gear it's in if the clutch is slipping bc the RPMs don't match the wheel speed

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Makes sense to me. Thanks all! Got to get me a new clutch.
I maintain it's the best upgrade to do to this car if you have a 6MT. My car has been a world of a difference since I had the SB put in.