GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are dogbone inserts used on the DSG Golfs too?

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I keep coming across posts mentioning the value of dogbone inserts but I can't figure out if they're only used on manual cars or if they apply to DSG ones too.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I have one on my GTI that is DSG and it has transformed the car. I can get power down onto the road now all the time and zero wheel hop, the car feels planted around the bends as well.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Thanks, Fing. I guess that's the next thing I'll be ordering! Any recommendations as to which brand I should use? The 034 Motorsport one looks pretty legit.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
034 is definitely the best first option. Just know there's 2 different variations of the mount based on which shape your factory dogbone looks like. Gotta get a cell phone under your car and snap a pic of your dogbone and see which one you need (V1/V2). V1's are perfect, they work like 95% of the time as intended, meaning minimal increase in NVH but big difference in shifting smoothness and all-but-negated wheel hop.

If you're V2, just know there's a possibility your car will feel like a tank from WW1. The V2 factory dogbone has variances in size, and 034 prototyped their V2 on a car that had a larger tolerance. If your car has a tighter tolerance (which, again, it's a toss up), you'll prolly have to grind the front and back of the insert down as well as maybe add a rubber grommet in the mount to reduce the vibrations.

Bear in mind, regardless of whether you're V1 or 2, DSGs vibrate more than manuals, because the wet clutches are always partially activated, constantly transferring vibrations to the cabin

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Also FYI all the other options are polyurethane and they A) vibrate more than the 034 steel insert, and B) are more likely to break whenever you go to remove them.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
I've been running one on my GTI for about 3000km. Probably the best mod I've done. Aside from getting good tires. Must do mod IMO. Go for it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

salsadoc44

Passed Driver's Ed
I run the 034 dog bone w my DSG. totally worth it

'16 CSG GTI | SE | DSG | PP | LP
034 dog bone | K&N drop in

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Are there any tutorial videos floating around the ether?

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to these kinds of things and I don't even know where to look for it, haha.

Zacr811

Ready to race!

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to these kinds of things and I don't even know where to look for it, haha.
As in how to install it? Take bolt out, put insert in, bolt on and torque to I think 87? Pretty easy, took me 2 min but I had lift access

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4

The install guide (Located here) states 100Nm...

I bought some Rhino ramps at autozone and did it in ~15minutes.

Hardest part was putting the bolt back in - I had to push it in with a lot of force before the threads really caught and it actually tightened.

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read also that they are looking into fixing the version 2 mounts, so hopefully they come up with a solution soon. That being said I have the V1 on my 5 speed and after about 1000km's NVH is virtuality non existent. I often forget it's in there.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
I had an ecs dogbone insert on my mk5 with dsg and I would say it's worth it. I feel like it shifted much more smoothly, but it could also have been a placebo effect for me because I either got used to it, or it stopped working as well over the next few months.