GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 GTI ECU Upgrade!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Interesting stuff... what are your overall impressions of the MK7 hardware package?

Do you foresee carbon buildup to be an issue on the GTI's still? I know there were some changes made, not sure if they were applied to all of the MK7s.

taoye92

Hi Arin,
I just got my GTi mk7 ECU upgraded last week, and I have some questions.
1.Honestly, I did not feel that much different after the upgrade, according to the data, the difference should be huge, right? Is there anyway I can testify if the upgrade is working? I have a vagcom cable.
2. What is the safety range for the turbo boost? I saw mine go up to 2.7 bar,I think that was too much, right? How about the water/coolant temp?
3. Should I wait for the exhaust upgrade, or I can get the intake one first?
best,
Ye Tao

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Interesting stuff... what are your overall impressions of the MK7 hardware package?

Do you foresee carbon buildup to be an issue on the GTI's still? I know there were some changes made, not sure if they were applied to all of the MK7s.

I really can't say for sure yet on the carbon buildup. Overall I'm liking the MK7. There are a few things I would change here or there. We'll have to see how much power we can get out of it overall!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Hi Arin,
I just got my GTi mk7 ECU upgraded last week, and I have some questions.
1.Honestly, I did not feel that much different after the upgrade, according to the data, the difference should be huge, right? Is there anyway I can testify if the upgrade is working? I have a vagcom cable.

The difference should be unquestionably night and day, massive.

Shoot me your vin. I'll make sure you weren't flashed stock or something silly like that.

2. What is the safety range for the turbo boost? I saw mine go up to 2.7 bar,I think that was too much, right? How about the water/coolant temp?

Well, I have to say, if you were seeing 2.7 bar of boost, you'd feel it for sure.

That's about as high as you'll see WITHOUT subtracting ambient pressure in the lower RPM range. Ambient pressure around sea level is typically about 1 bar. Boost tapers towards redline.

Water cooling is ok, but could be better. Same with oil temp. We've extensively tracked the MK7 in the desert and in hot and humid Alabama with our software and have solutions in the work to address both for our track going customers. : )

3. Should I wait for the exhaust upgrade, or I can get the intake one first?
best,
Ye Tao

You can get the ECU now. Exhaust will follow. :)

Cabra

Ready to race!
Can anyone coming from a stage 2 mk6 comment on how a stage 1 mk7 feels and performs compared to the stage 2 mk6 ? In particular on the butt dyno.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Can anyone coming from a stage 2 mk6 comment on how a stage 1 mk7 feels and performs compared to the stage 2 mk6 ? In particular on the butt dyno.

I had a 2013 GTI that was APR stage 2 with an intake and turbo-back. The MK7 with stage 1 feels faster to me, especially in the midrange. High rpm still falls off quickly with the stock downpipe I'm currently running, but the midrange torque is just ridiculous.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
VAG issued a new campaign this morning replacing all of the old turbocharger part numbers because turbos were failing from the factory on unmodified cars. This includes turbos that haven't failed yet, so they are simply being proactive and replacing the turbo before there's an issue.

Here's one of the document released this morning:

www.goapr.com/support/tsb/21e7.pdf

I also was sent one from Europe from Volkswagen so I'm assuming we'll see more of these popping up to cover all models. They're probably covering their bases and making sure they have enough turbos on hand. The parts depo is apparently loaded with turbos at the moment.

Here's how you can find the turbo part number to see if you have a unit they are replacing:

Here are the turbo part numbers that fail from the factory on unmodified cars:

06K 145 702 K - Revision 1
06K 145 702 Q - Revision 2
06K 145 702 R - Revision 3

New turbo part number to fix failures:

06K 145 702 T - Revision 4

I'd highly suggest getting this update!

-Arin

luka1

Ready to race!
VAG issued a new campaign this morning replacing all of the old turbocharger part numbers because turbos were failing from the factory on unmodified cars. This includes turbos that haven't failed yet, so they are simply being proactive and replacing the turbo before there's an issue.

Here's one of the document released this morning:

www.goapr.com/support/tsb/21e7.pdf

I also was sent one from Europe from Volkswagen so I'm assuming we'll see more of these popping up to cover all models. They're probably covering their bases and making sure they have enough turbos on hand. The parts depo is apparently loaded with turbos at the moment.

Here's how you can find the turbo part number to see if you have a unit they are replacing:

Here are the turbo part numbers that fail from the factory on unmodified cars:

06K 145 702 K - Revision 1
06K 145 702 Q - Revision 2
06K 145 702 R - Revision 3

New turbo part number to fix failures:

06K 145 702 T - Revision 4

I'd highly suggest getting this update!

-Arin

Easier said than done...still trying to find the part #. Also, has the bulletin been release officially for the VWs as well? The one you posted to the goapr.com site is for Audi (I know they are the same engine, but want to make sure my dealer will know what I'm talking about). Thanks.

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
I dont know where I'm looking tbh.
I found a black box connected to the electronics by where the arrow points and it had part number
06(K or H?) 145 710C
rsz_snapchatsavepics-20140805081952[1].jpg
Is this the same number as would be on the turbo? If not, where do I need to look from the box?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Easier said than done...still trying to find the part #. Also, has the bulletin been release officially for the VWs as well? The one you posted to the goapr.com site is for Audi (I know they are the same engine, but want to make sure my dealer will know what I'm talking about). Thanks.

I got one for the GTI from VW in russia. For the US, I don't have the document yet. I'm sure they will begin rolling them out one by one because that's a lot of turbos to replace all at once.

I had a customer with a failed turbo on another forum. Same failure that's happening stock. They flashed back to stock, took it to the dealer and they updated the turbo to the new part. I'm guessing this is pretty commonly known or they wouldn't be replacing turbos before they fail.