GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Exhaust Crackle Now Available

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Depends on your definition of "on".

One annoying thing with this update on manual cars is if you rev match (and I ALWAYS revmatch even when driving like an old lady, gotta be nice to the clutch) even during normal mode the ECU will consider it a "free rev" and it will still crackle/pop/fart

Otherwise, when shifting up down normally, it's quiet, just like stock.

Thought it was a glitch but that was the explanation the APR rep gave me over the phone.

You'd think there could be a flag for the ECU to not trigger the crackle if the car's speed = above a certain threshold in normal, so it could differentiate between you doing a revmatch and then you revving it in a stoplight to spite the dude in the rice rocket that pulled up next to you.

I really REALLY want to know if APR will work on an update to further look into making NORMAL 100% dead quiet boring stock, especially when revmatching on the 6MT cars. Or if it's even possible with ECU logic
Has this concern been addressed at all?

I'm planning on going with APR in the near future for my IS38 and def want the option of pop & bang in sport mode but ONLY sport mode. I also rev match 99% of my downshifts even when cruising along in normal mode and don't want my car to pop & bang in these regular daily driving scenarios. Even if you provide the option of disabling free-revving pops to fix this. I never rev my engine for any purpose other than driving. Just want my sport mode shifts and overrun to sound more exciting.

DrTWAxeman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
my 2 cents:

I had this on my '17 Sport GTI MT for about three days. It cuts down considerably in Normal driving mode, but it does not go away entirely. Also I experienced significant engine breaking whenever I let off the gas in low RPM in Sport mode. (Every manual has this to some effect, but the difference between Normal and Sport mode was clear, and made stop and go driving a pain.) I'm a pretty aggressive driver, so I like to stay in Sport mode 24/7. In the end it just wasn't worth it to me on a daily driver. I wish APR tied it to the 'Engine Sound' feature in Custom mode instead.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Has this concern been addressed at all?

I'm planning on going with APR in the near future for my IS38 and def want the option of pop & bang in sport mode but ONLY sport mode. I also rev match 99% of my downshifts even when cruising along in normal mode and don't want my car to pop & bang in these regular daily driving scenarios. Even if you provide the option of disabling free-revving pops to fix this. I never rev my engine for any purpose other than driving. Just want my sport mode shifts and overrun to sound more exciting.

Yeah...curious if cobb tuners can make downshifts not crackle all the time.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Yeah...curious if cobb tuners can make downshifts not crackle all the time.

Yes. (I think I answered your same question in another pop/bang thread)

No pops/bangs on Normal mode. Heel-toe/rev match downshift, no pops. If I hit 5-6k RPM, it might pop once or twice but it isn't that audible and doesn't always happen.

Sport mode = pops/bangs/burble above 3k RPM. The higher the RPM, the louder they are.

iflyforfood

Passed Driver's Ed
Any further updates or improvements to this crackle flash?

Something I don't see others mention, my car seems to be popping a lot in normal mode even in situations where it supposedly shouldn't like when upshifting. Normal mode seems very inconsistent in this regard and is never 100% silent with me. Also it Sometimes it takes several presses of normal mode to fully get out of sport mode. Just things I've noticed in the nearly a year since this feature came out