GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ALWAYS insist for VW genuine parts after a crash

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I hear it said over and over to always insist on Volkswagen genuine parts. Here's a great video demonstrating why:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Wow that's a big difference. I honestly wouldn't want a car back after an accident anyway tho, they never seem to get them 100% perfect.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Wow that's a big difference. I honestly wouldn't want a car back after an accident anyway tho, they never seem to get them 100% perfect.
After a big wreck I'd agree! Though after a minor fender bender I'd want genuine parts. Remember, these crash tests were done at only 15kph.

I've had a small accident with a raccoon at 60mph on my way home from H2o... Less then one month after buying my first new car. Cherry popped, I had the car fixed at a local auto body shop who did a decent job with color matching the front bumper to the rest of the car. I should note that rockets relatives have some stiff lawyers. After a few court appearances with the furry buggers and everything settled we all agreed to move on. Tough to explain to those cute little guys that I didn't see their family member until it was too late with it being dusk :eek:

Only the bumper cover and a few plastic pieces were messed up, but both me and my insurance company insisted on OEM parts. :cool:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've had little stuff fixed too, all OEM.

A cinder block size chunk of ice hit my mk6 TDI when it was two months old. Smashed the hood and cracked the windshield. Porsche dealership did an awesome job and I threw my buddy there a few bucks for the hood notch to be filled. Came out awesome

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Its no wonder that the aftermarket parts perform this differently. I work for a Product development team for an automotive safety component. Only basic validation and testing is done before launching aftermarket parts in the market. Its a way way lesser than whats is being done before launching the same part for an OEM.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Saving this video in case I ever bang my ride up, thanks OP.