GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accessing top mount of strut/camber plate?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Is there an easy way to access the top of the strut? After a bear of an install for the coilovers, I fear going back in there to adjust the camber.

If I was to just remove the 3x strut bolts on the top, would there be enough room/suspension drop enough to access the camber plate and adjust?

spiker369

on air, don't care
If I was to just remove the 3x strut bolts on the top, would there be enough room/suspension drop enough to access the camber plate and adjust?

I think that depends on the length of the strut. I don't think with a stock height strut you'd have enough room to do so. If you know someone with a plasma cutter (or similar tools) you can open up the top of the strut assembly like so:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Only way to do it is to remove the strut or cut a hole up top like Kyle suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I have the XTA, wondering if I loosen the top if I would have enough room when it drops. Really don't want to loose axle bolts and what not

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Even if it did drop down, it's gonna be tough to reach up there to adjust it & tighten it back down properly IMO

But since it's shorter than the stock struts, it'll be super easy to remove anyways. Undo the 3 top bolts (or nuts in your case?) & remove the lower strut bolt & it'll easily come out (no need to pull axles)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
What OP is suggesting is possible and is what I did to adjust my camber plates. Make sure to take the plastic cap off the strut mount so you can stick the allen wrench in from the top. It's a bit tricky to line the plates up to exactly where you want when you're trying to prop the strut up with one hand and tighten bolts with the other, but entirely doable and FAR less hassle than any of the other options. You can even leave your wheels on.

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Why would you need to loosen the axle bolts? If you're already unbolting the top, you only have to remove the one bolt on the bottom where the strut slides in. It's going to be far easier to do that than trying to fit tools through a tiny hole up top to adjust the camber.

SRoads

Ready to race!
I think that depends on the length of the strut. I don't think with a stock height strut you'd have enough room to do so. If you know someone with a plasma cutter (or similar tools) you can open up the top of the strut assembly like so:

Not Required with Ground Control Camber Plates.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Why would you need to loosen the axle bolts? If you're already unbolting the top, you only have to remove the one bolt on the bottom where the strut slides in. It's going to be far easier to do that than trying to fit tools through a tiny hole up top to adjust the camber.

I'm not sure how much room there is, that's why I'm asking. ;)

IIRC when doing the install, the strut was the last thing to be removed, so I wasn't sure how much of it is accessible when it's the only/first thing unbolted.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Vorshlag claims it can be done with their new plates. Anyone have those?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
They have some high quality stuff, so I would believe them. maybe adjusting from the bottom?
Agree on quality from what I hear and so tempted to take the plunge. idk on adjustment. Will drill into it with them later this month!

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Agree on quality from what I hear and so tempted to take the plunge. idk on adjustment. Will drill into it with them later this month!

If I didn't go ST with the camber plates, my next call was to Vorshlag. My cousin has their camber plates on his Evo X with KW v3 and the camber plates are top notch stuff. I wouldn't hesitate spending my money with Vorshlag.