GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ACC

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have just received a response from VW confirming what you have said, that the clutch would not disengage under those circumstances, even with City Emergency Braking.
This is contrary to what our salesman told us when we collected the car, and I am rather concerned that he misinformed us. I think more training may be a good thing.

On a more general subject, we are pleased with the new car but not so happy that this and other things are lacking: the dipping (nearside) wing mirror in reverse doesn't work and neither does aspects of Guide and Inform services, such as Vehicle Health Report and recording of where the car has been parked.

I learned long ago not to believe everything a car salesperson tells me; their primary objective is to secure the sale, so if they have to stretch the truth to do this, then some probably will. Some car salespeople are likely to put sales commission and hitting sales targets ahead of being 100% honest with customers. Maybe a slightly cynical view, but probably true.

I remember you raising the issue of the dipping nearside mirror on your car not working a few months ago (part of the standard spec on all mk7.5 Golfs apart from the entry level S model). IMO the dipping nearside door mirror is a really useful feature and can save your alloy wheels from damage when you’re parallel parking.

If;
(a) the dipping function has failed (I remember you saying neither you nor the dealer could get it to work)
or
(b) your car was mis-built without the necessary functionality being installed

then I’d be going back to the dealer for a resolution. If it’s (a), then the dealer should fix this under warranty. If it’s (b) and the dealer says it can’t be retro-fitted (I don’t know if it can), then I’d be asking what VW / the dealer was going to do to compensate me for the omission of a useful standard feature from my car.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I have just received a response from VW confirming what you have said, that the clutch would not disengage under those circumstances, even with City Emergency Braking.
This is contrary to what our salesman told us when we collected the car, and I am rather concerned that he misinformed us. I think more training may be a good thing.

That a salesman said this is pretty embarrassing, he was either confusing this with the function on the semi-automatic DSG cars or he was an idiot.

The mirror dip when reversing function only works if you have the mirror control in the right position. This is also a function that can be enabled or disabled in the car firmware settings (using vcds or obd scanners). I find it irritating tbh so never used it. We don't have the nav functions so can't really comment on that stuff but I would be sceptical any own-brand nav service could compete with the fast moving mobile app world anyway.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had an extended run using ACC and it worked very well. Not sure though if the car brakes when it senses a vehicle ahead or does it decelerate, or both?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Just had an extended run using ACC and it worked very well. Not sure though if the car brakes when it senses a vehicle ahead or does it decelerate, or both?
It can do both if it needs to. It prefers to decelerate without braking (reasonably enough).

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
That's what I was hoping. Thanks again for the clarification.
It will warn you, loudly, if it thinks it's unable to brake hard enough and needs you to help..

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I hope I never get to hear it!
I have mine set to early warning and hear it every so often, it's not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
If you use it a lot, you will. It can brake surprisingly hard but sometimes it runs out of confidence that it's able to control the car even when it's pretty much fine.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
I remember you raising the issue of the dipping nearside mirror on your car not working a few months ago (part of the standard spec on all mk7.5 Golfs apart from the entry level S model). IMO the dipping nearside door mirror is a really useful feature and can save your alloy wheels from damage when you’re parallel parking.

If;
(a) the dipping function has failed (I remember you saying neither you nor the dealer could get it to work)
or
(b) your car was mis-built without the necessary functionality being installed

then I’d be going back to the dealer for a resolution. If it’s (a), then the dealer should fix this under warranty. If it’s (b) and the dealer says it can’t be retro-fitted (I don’t know if it can), then I’d be asking what VW / the dealer was going to do to compensate me for the omission of a useful standard feature from my car.

I intend to do this at my own convenience.

If the car needs to go in for remedial work, I'd like to think they would supply a courtesy car. Is this standard practice?

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
That a salesman said this is pretty embarrassing, he was either confusing this with the function on the semi-automatic DSG cars or he was an idiot.

Indeed. I shall mention this when we next go in, though I'm sure he'll deny it or tell me I misunderstood. My wife remembers it clearly too, though.

We don't have the nav functions so can't really comment on that stuff but I would be sceptical any own-brand nav service could compete with the fast moving mobile app world anyway.

Indeed. Having now had plenty of time to compare the NAV function and Google Maps, I find the latter is superior in many respects as it shows traffic flow on smaller roads as well as main routes, which the NAV map doesn't. Admittedly, I find the NAV map clearer, though.

I shall not buy an SE NAV again, although the salesman assured us that only SE NAVs were available at that time and I didn't want to miss the opportunity of a £4000 reduction for diesel scrappage. I wonder if he was lying about that too!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I intend to do this at my own convenience.

If the car needs to go in for remedial work, I'd like to think they would supply a courtesy car. Is this standard practice?

I think pretty much all VW dealers will have courtesy cars for customer use when their cars are in for warranty or repair work, but depending on size of dealership there may only be a limited number. Therefore, a courtesy car may not always have one available when you want one if they’re already all booked out to other customers.

If you need a courtesy car, it’s always advisable to book your car in to the dealers sufficiently far enough in advance of the work needing to be done - that way, there’s a better chance of a courtesy car being available. Some dealers also charge for courtesy car use - mine doesn’t; I just have to replace the fuel I’ve used.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think pretty much all VW dealers will have courtesy cars for customer use when their cars are in for warranty or repair work, but depending on size of dealership there may only be a limited number. Therefore, a courtesy car may not always have one available when you want one if they’re already all booked out to other customers.

If you need a courtesy car, it’s always advisable to book your car in to the dealers sufficiently far enough in advance of the work needing to be done - that way, there’s a better chance of a courtesy car being available. Some dealers also charge for courtesy car use - mine doesn’t; I just have to replace the fuel I’ve used.

That's good. All very reasonable.

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
On a more general subject, we are pleased with the new car but not so happy that this and other things are lacking: the dipping (nearside) wing mirror in reverse doesn't work and neither does aspects of Guide and Inform services, such as Vehicle Health Report and recording of where the car has been parked.

To get the vehicle Health report and recording where the car has parked, you can ask VW dealer to install a free chip that can be plug and play just under right side of your steering wheel. This little chip will record all the information of your car and transfer the date via Bluetooth to your mobile app. And it certainly tell you exactly where is your car last parked. It's very handy.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/volkswagen-connect

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
You can pick up this gadget free from a VW dealer. It is easy to fit in a slot underneath the steering wheel. It is handy and you need the app but it can run down your phone battery quite quickly.