GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

a question for those of you who have a 93 octane tune

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
When hurricane Sandy hit and there was only regular 87 available while on a 93 tune, I used concentrated race fuel mixed in. I never saw an issue or felt it either.

lostru

Ready to race!
I have the Unitronic 1+. 93 Is everywhere in Arkansas but when I travelled to Missouri I was faced with only 91. I filled up and just took it easy. I "traveled" at interstate speeds, well sort of interstate speeds. I never had any issue. Once I am set up to do tuning from home
(I have Apple Products) and I know I will be traveling into an area with only 91, I will lower the tune. May never be an issue but I am a firm believer that you stick with what something is designed for.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Remember, you only need high octane to avoid knock at high boost levels. Meaning, as long as you don't put your foot in it and hit full boost you won't "require" the higher octane gas. What I mean by this is cruising around driving normally will be fine, even on regular gas more than likely.

However, in a pinch, you could probably add some octane booster to the tank just to help get you by. I wouldn't recommend going WOT a bunch KNOWING you're running sub par gas.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The fuel door on the GTI states that 87 octane is min required. What does the R say? Our ECUs are pretty smart at adapting and advancing/retarding timing accordingly.

Btw, I only use 93.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for all the good tips. Has anyone used a bottled "octane booster" when 93 isn't available?

I use this

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
In 2 years I've been lucky enough and that never happened to me, including trips Denver-Houston and Denver-Philadelphia. Actually never thought about that till now so good threat ������������

Boschisgood

Is that in RON or AKI? Keep in mind 91 RON is 87 octane in the States.

My fuel door states 91 RON, which means 87 octane can be used.

The sticker on the fuel door is recommended octane for the stock tune. Your tuners recommendation supersedes this.