GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4/10/24 Track Night @ HHR - Stormy attempts a FWD lap record (how will it end?)

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Someone in marketing f***ed that chart all up like a congressional budget. Those temp ratings are way off the reservation.

I've called EBC (and their dealers) directly and confirmed that, as one example, the Blue Stuff NDX is a ~900-1000* F pad.

UroTuning somehow listed the BS and BS NDX as having the same operating temps, ditto on the YS, which we all know is a less tolerant pad.

None of that checks out.

Correcting it here for anyone following this thread.

And I feel you on not needing a HD $400 track pad yet (Ferodo DS3.12), but I'm also grateful I have a used set here to try out on the street.
I should have known better than to post that chart. 1800°F is an outlandish claim.
Edited my post to keep from confusing others.

I ended up ordering iSweep 3500 and 3000. I’ll definitely report back after the time trial event next month.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes my numbers in F were correct. My EBC RPX are 1500 F for a real track compound.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I should have known better than to post that chart. 1800°F is an outlandish claim.
Edited my post to keep from confusing others.

I ended up ordering iSweep 3500 and 3000. I’ll definitely report back after the time trial event next month.
Not enough folks running and talking about those particular I-Sweeps, so thank you for taking the plunge!

Definitely report back after the proper bed in and some good hard test miles. 😎 👍

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Not enough folks running and talking about those particular I-Sweeps, so thank you for taking the plunge!

Definitely report back after the proper bed in and some good hard test miles. 😎 👍
Genesis temp paint will give me a solid idea of if I made the right choice on pads.

If I end up seeing higher temps than anticipated, I might just take the plunge and order 034 two piece rotors through FCP so I can swap them for free when the track pads eat them up.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not sure of the details with those w/r to torque/fade temp/etc. but I'm sure they are on the milder end of the spectrum. To me, these are the kind of pads most folks that have modded MK7s should run full-time/street. I'm was up at Wookies last week and so many have brake fade issues and want bigger brakes - I always tell them just get pads (like this, Yellows, whatever brand you like etc. on street are killer for "spirited" driving). Hope they work out on track for you, sure they will! V. few people have actually tried a "real" pad b/c they don't want the dust on those car-show wheels they have but they are really missing out on MUCH more confident braking.

Edit. Found a post saying PS says 932 deg F for these. To put that in perspective, EBC Yellows are 900 and blues are 1000 so similar.

There are also these Dynamic Friction track pads they sell on Rock Auto that are another budget option:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...rged,3442079,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684
I got the dynamic friction pads. Haven't put them on yet though

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS

I'll also be trying IS3500s in early May at Mid-Ohio, on the Neuspeed BBK. I ran EBC Blues before that did not hold up so hoping these are better.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Spring “spring” update:

Pulling the front 034s, bolting on a pair of clean condition 2018 Golf R springs.

1713716747512.jpeg

Keeping it in the VW parts bin for a minute.

Rate is softer than I’d like, but stiffer than the Eibach Golf Rs I was going to run at one point:

216lbs/on for the Mk7.5 springs, 177lbs/in on the Eibachs.

The 034s I’m on now are 310lbs/in and I love it! But as discussed earlier, way too low of a static ride height. Hovering above the bump stops, which kills ride quality and predictable behavior.

Final ride height with the Mk7.5 springs should be ~360-362mm fender to hub center: perfect for my goals and needs.

I just don’t want to spend the coin for Coilovers right now, nor do I have the time and motivation for another “full-on” suspension install day. 🥵

Pic of the actual Lapiz Blue R they came off of found here (it’s delicious! 😋 🤤 )
1713716554786.jpeg

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1713717664197.jpeg

Mint condition, linear rate Golf R Eibachs going up for sale today. 17k miles on them, good pics available. Direct fitment for 2015-2021 Golf, GTI, Beetle, GLI and Golf R.

Direct link to Linear Euro Eibachs for Mk7 cars @ FCP Euro

$350 new, going to list these for $250 + shipping.

Working a deal for a member up in WA on them, but go ahead and send me some DMs if anyone is interested so you can grab a spot in line.

These springs work exceptionally well with stock dampers, DCC setups, Koni and Bilsteins.

Honest 20-25mm drop on a GTI.

15-20mm drop on a Golf R, depending which year.

Photos of them installed on other Golf Rs can be found below:

https://clptuning.co.uk/product/eibach-pro-kit-15mm-lowering-springs-golf-r/

Attachments

• IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 6

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Back on track: build/track prep progress.

1) Finally got the correct splash shield from dealer (100% my fault, regrettably)

New T-304 stainless hardware for the rear bolts to subframe. Re-used OE trim screws for the rest.

Photos show the standard GTI, GLI and Golf R splash shields. I went with a full belly tray for improved aero.

Gonna track my fuel mileage closely on the next 1-2 fill ups:

I suspect we might see some nice cumulative gains there from reduced drag and better airflow mgmt.

Will also observe my operating temps on track in case this ends up negative impacting the oil or coolant temps.

2) Related plastic news:

Also test fitted the new Audi 8Y RS3 brake cooling ducts. They are 10x nicer than the original 8V versions.

e-acca got them to me pretty quickly considering the distance from here to Latvia.

New brake ducts feature Larger air scoops, and shorter overall width so that no trimming is required to clear 340mm PP front calipers under full lock. 🙌 👏

They fit and wrap the 034 aluminum LCAs BEAUTIFULLY without trimming or modification, which was a welcomed surprise.

I was running out of time and had to be somewhere, so I didn’t grab pics of the brake ducts test fitted. Just sharing for posterity. 🍻 🇩🇪

3) No change on my ball-joint nuts, meaning I’ve checked their torque before and after any “spirited driving” and they haven’t budged. So for a temporary deal, I’ve been fortunate.

The Moogs go on (Wednesday) along with the 2018 Golf R front springs.

This will be suspension setup #4…I’ve become @Hammersticks. 👀

Not looking forward to more front suspension work… 🤦‍♂️

Hopefully this info and experience helps the group overall.

More pics and data will follow later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2457.jpeg
    IMG_2457.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2458.jpeg
    IMG_2458.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2456.jpeg
    IMG_2456.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2459.jpeg
    IMG_2459.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
BTW…not empirical info at ALL, but doing 80-90mph today on an extended highway trip, the car felt the most planted and stable it’s felt in a LONG time.

Can’t say it’s all the new shield, but there was way less interference on this very windy day. Car seemed to be using less throttle input, and the on-dash mpgs supported this.

Looking forward to my next fill up!

This car has never done better than ~24mpg highway and ~22 combined with 60-70% city driving, even when completely stock. (For reference)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Spring “spring” update:

Pulling the front 034s, bolting on a pair of clean condition 2018 Golf R springs.

View attachment 303576

Keeping it in the VW parts bin for a minute.

Rate is softer than I’d like, but stiffer than the Eibach Golf Rs I was going to run at one point:

216lbs/on for the Mk7.5 springs, 177lbs/in on the Eibachs.

The 034s I’m on now are 310lbs/in and I love it! But as discussed earlier, way too low of a static ride height. Hovering above the bump stops, which kills ride quality and predictable behavior.

Final ride height with the Mk7.5 springs should be ~360-362mm fender to hub center: perfect for my goals and needs.

I just don’t want to spend the coin for Coilovers right now, nor do I have the time and motivation for another “full-on” suspension install day. 🥵

Pic of the actual Lapiz Blue R they came off of found here (it’s delicious! 😋 🤤 )
View attachment 303575
What was center axle to fender measurement for the 034 S3 springs?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
BTW…not empirical info at ALL, but doing 80-90mph today on an extended highway trip, the car felt the most planted and stable it’s felt in a LONG time.

Can’t say it’s all the new shield, but there was way less interference on this very windy day. Car seemed to be using less throttle input, and the on-dash mpgs supported this.

Looking forward to my next fill up!

This car has never done better than ~24mpg highway and ~22 combined with 60-70% city driving, even when completely stock. (For reference)
I never saw a measurable improvement in mpgs with my underbody aero (and I have more than you with the subframe cover and a few other pieces). Would need a lot of before and after data to even go down that road plus the ever-present issue of "self-fulfilling prophecy" where you drive differently with the new part to make it do what you want it to do.

Also here are the BJ differences.

1000018575.jpg

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I had to do a bit of trimming on my 8Y RS3 ducts (EACCA on eBay), but I think most of that was due to the APR FSB with stock end links on my Fortune coils.

With a little more trimming, they have been great on my 034 LCA's too. No complaints for a $50 upgrade! I just need to modify the heat shield to allow that air to hit the hub/rotor more directly.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wth. Highway i get 35mpg at 80, around 30 at 90. Unless I'm running E40, then it's 27.

Now in town is more like 25 & 20 E40

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
What was center axle to fender measurement for the 034 S3 springs?
1713818158658.jpeg

I haven’t had a flat slab to measure it yet, but it’s about as low as the value of the Aussie dollar right now… 🤦‍♂️

I truly think I picked up a bad batch of 034 springs.

An S3 is 300lbs heavier (3450lbs), and 100 of it is over the front axle. That car would be riding the bump stops if every 034 spring were like that (on their original application.)