GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

30mm spacer questions

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
So I'm looking at what would be necessary to clear my wheel wells to add 30mm spacers. I already went from the stock 48 offset to Konigs with a 35 offset. I know the wheels and tires will poke out but thats not my worry. It's stock height but I don't know if I'll have to trim the inner lining of the wheel well to accommodate the wheels tires at full turn or trim the outside of the fenders. Any one have any ideas?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, they are 8.5" wide.

I ask because from what I can see in the pictures they have stock Pretorias which are 7.5" with a 51et on the vehicle. They do look like they poke out a bit to accommodate the flares.

As of now with my offset I do still have clearance when I have my wheels at full turn.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yes, they are 8.5" wide.

I ask because from what I can see in the pictures they have stock Pretorias which are 7.5" with a 51et on the vehicle. They do look like they poke out a bit to accommodate the flares.

As of now with my offset I do still have clearance when I have my wheels at full turn.

By picture I think you mean rendering.

If you’re willing to bodysaw your fenders & quarter panels for ABS plastic over fenders please take a step back to assess what that means.

-once you cut, the car is totaled as far as insurance, trade in & resale value. Do you owe on the car? It’s about to lose 90% of its value.

-stock suspension has 4-6” of up travel above ride height, so there’s no amount of clearance that’ll accommodate these flairs without it rubbing over everything unless you do aftermarket suspension & add camber (so you have less up travel, and what travel you do have uses the negative camber to tuck up into the actual wheel well.

-Wheel specs, 30mm “over fender” doesn’t mean there’s added room for wheels. These are just like Bushwhacker flairs you see on your local 1999 F250 sticking way out, but adding no clearance underneath for wider wheels without a massive lift kit.

We’re not trying to give you a hard time, we’re trying to save you from a massive financial hardship if you just dive into this based on a rendering.

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
If you look at the 2nd picture it looks like they are installed and not a rendering. Stock suspension and ride height for an Autobahn with PP.

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
20230407_094754.jpg

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
And this is how much room I have at full lock. So I was just wondering if I notched out say like a 2" wide by 8" tall piece from the inner fender wall if this would possibly work.
I have no intentions of rolling the fenders or cutting them.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
And this is how much room I have at full lock. So I was just wondering if I notched out say like a 2" wide by 8" tall piece from the inner fender wall if this would possibly work.
I have no intentions of rolling the fenders or cutting them.
So aside from what been said above by Jake (which is true) just in regards to where you have rubbing concerns those wheel specs will actually be just like mine as far as poke goes with both the front and rears.

They do rub that section at partial but very close to full lock at both the front and back of the inners at my ride height…

Important note to mention though, you won’t be able to get away with not cutting your oem outer fenders as with the offset you want at compression the tires will 120% make contact with the body. (Fender lips hiding under your plant on flares)

CF39D96F-9927-4815-A7E1-AB318A7A7D5F.jpeg
6BF7D1CA-E92F-4BFA-8395-64A02380BFC0.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you look at the 2nd picture it looks like they are installed and not a rendering. Stock suspension and ride height for an Autobahn with PP.

I saw that second image, which is why I said what I said.

Their TCR appears to have been photoshopped. The Prets are still close to the brake calipers, but poke an extra 1.5” further than stock? The magic of renderings.

Take photos with your fingers wherever you want, you’re talking to guys with two decades of experience combined on the subject…you can take our help or leave it.