GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 MK7 GTI - Hood Release Cable Snapped Under Hood

MK7BlackGTI

So I just bought a used 2015 MK7 GTI. Only 30,000 miles. I get home and want to pop the hood to take a deeper look around, andddddd the release handle moves freely. And all you can hear is the cable sliding freely under the hood no longer connected.

Speed up a couple of days, I take it to the dealer because the car is still under warranty. They tell me they can't get it open. I ask why not and they said they can not physically get it open and that I would need to go to a bodyshop. He said it has to go to a body shop cause they may need to "cut" some things to be able to release the hood.

Cut????? :( :confused:

So basically, I was wondering if anyone maybe knew any was that I could release this hood myself? Any tips or tricks?

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I don't know if this will work on this car, but on my Acura I had the same thing happen. See if you can stick your arm up from the bottom to try and reconnect the cable if its disconnect. Check the driver side finder liner for the cable and try pulling that.

BobShubin

I suggest maybe try another dealer cause I had the same issue when I got my TSI. The cable was detached under the hood so I took it to the dealer and they had to take out the FL fender in order to reattach the cable.

MK7BlackGTI

I don't know if this will work on this car, but on my Acura I had the same thing happen. See if you can stick your arm up from the bottom to try and reconnect the cable if its disconnect. Check the driver side finder liner for the cable and try pulling that.

I suggest maybe try another dealer cause I had the same issue when I got my TSI. The cable was detached under the hood so I took it to the dealer and they had to take out the FL fender in order to reattach the cable.

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow before deciding on the body shop. As for choosing another dealer. The others dealers are decently far away and i'm not really sure if I want to make the drive yet or not.

pcr

Ready to race!
Don't be fobbed off so easily, it's their job to fix it and I'd be amazed if VW did not have an official procedure for doing this.

MK7BlackGTI

So I got this far off of your guys suggestions. It looks as if the ball came disconnected from the white piece. But then again is looks broken all together.

End of cable (right above headlight on drivers side):

White little box the cable ball connects into (looks broken to me?):

MK7BlackGTI

Don't be fobbed off so easily, it's their job to fix it and I'd be amazed if VW did not have an official procedure for doing this.

I figured they would have one. I know the older MK you could twist the front VW emblem and it came off and then they had a tool they simply slide through a access hole and pop the hood right open. Of course, MK7 doesn't have that from what I have found.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Once the hood is open it won't be hard to replace the cables if they're broken or just reattach. I would try to reach the second half of the cable from the bottom and pull on it and open the hood. Honestly, the dealer should take care of this, even if it needs to go to a body shop. The car is under warranty, and this is not a typical wear item.

MK7BlackGTI

Once the hood is open it won't be hard to replace the cables if they're broken or just reattach. I would try to reach the second half of the cable from the bottom and pull on it and open the hood. Honestly, the dealer should take care of this, even if it needs to go to a body shop. The car is under warranty, and this is not a typical wear item.

Yeah, once I seen your comment I ended up scheduling an appointment with the body shop to get it fixed under the warranty.

Honestly, it look to me like the white plastic piece broke and allowed the ball to come out the white piece or something along those lines.

Thanks for the explanation and help though!