GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf 1.8 TSI - 15inch to 17 or 18inch

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
If I were starting from scratch, I would up the tire to a 235/45-17. It's only a minor difference in diameter and gives you a little more contact patch. Probably ride a touch smoother as well

235/45 R17 is a sensible choice. If you don't have racing driver ambitions
it's fine for both 7.5" (OE) and 8.0" (aftermarket) wide rims.
I'd like to add, that the actual sort of rubber makes a bigger difference
than going one inch up or down. Seriously, very most 205/55 R16 UHP
summer tire will outperform a 225/45 R17 touring or all-season. On the
other hand, some 225/45 R17 touring tires are remarkably smooth riding,
smoother than some 205/55 R16 UHP tires. Short: It's not the size only.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
And a 235/45 summer tire will out perform all of them, so yes, size matters when its apples to apples to a point. Too big will start reversing things. I would like to see where an actual high performance A/S stacks up against a smaller summer. I believe the pilot A/S 3&4 will out handle a good deal of lower brand summer only tires.

mach128x

...but I do sometimes get the urge to take a few corners fast or go for curvy road trips.

I guess my questions are; will the 17in noticeably improve handling? will the speedometer change? gas mileage/brakes/will there be mechanical headaches that i will then need to buy more hardware to compensate and so on?

If you'd have two identical cars with the same tire model, outside diameter and width, except one car with 15" and the other with 17", you would definitely feel the difference in curves. This is because the 15" has more side wall than the 17". Even if the 15" had been designed by the manufacturer with a slightly stiffer wall to compensate, the added wall height will allow for more skewing of the tire section as the car weight pushes on the wheels. That will translate to the 15" feeling softer or "mushier".

Now please keep in mind that on the contrary, a top performance 15" tire with a stiff sidewall will run circles around a crappy 17" with paper thin sidewall. And we're not even talking about wet and dry traction, yet.

I personally run 235/40R18 sport summers. You can't really go wrong with 17" or 18" as long as you chose the proper fitment and a good quality tire.

As for potential headaches, again as long as you replicate one of VW's OE fitment or close enough you most likely see no difference unless, as other have said, you go for much heavier wheels. If you select to go the customized route (wide wheel, flush to fender, etc) then there are lots of threads and resources around to guide you.

One thing to consider is VWs use ball seat lug bolts. Many after market wheels use conical even for european fitments. But lug bolts are pretty cheap.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
I went from the 16 to 18 inches on my '17 Golf TSi. Below is the before/after pics.

The 18 wheels are oem preston wheels, purchased used from '15 golf tdi wagon., all 4 wheels and tires for 600$

I think the tires are 225/45/R18., the ride is little harsh than before, but the looks are good.

Did not see any difference in speed, since the overall diameter is still the same. Also had no issues with fitment, inner or outer wheels rubbing the fender/wheel wells or any problem with the caliper clearance.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Looks nice, hope you enjoy it. Most probably 225/45 R18 though since
they should look meatier. Like the GTI that TDI Wagon likely came with
225/40 R18 tires.

And a 235/45 summer tire will out perform all of them, so yes, size matters when its apples to apples to a point.
I realize sadly you didn't get what I wrote. ;)
I don't find it administrable to repeat common wisdom for the 1000th
time, but it's way more helpful clearing up some popular misconception.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I went from the 16 to 18 inches on my '17 Golf TSi. Below is the before/after pics.

The 18 wheels are oem preston wheels, purchased used from '15 golf tdi wagon., all 4 wheels and tires for 600$

I think the tires are 225/45/R18., the ride is little harsh than before, but the looks are good.

Did not see any difference in speed, since the overall diameter is still the same. Also had no issues with fitment, inner or outer wheels rubbing the fender/wheel wells or any problem with the caliper clearance.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Is this stock suspension or lowered?