GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 GTD remove remap

TedStriker

Car(s)
2014 GTD
Hi,
Bit of an unusual one this. I have a Mk7 GTD that I'm trying to bring back to standard. When I bought it the DPF had been gutted but as a socially responsible person (!) I'm fitting a functional DPF.
Obviously the car will have been remapped to disable the DPF function so my question is what's the best way to restore the factory ECU map so the DPF works again? Ideally I'd like to do it myself as that's just what I like to do, but wouldn't know where to start with the software/hardware to bring it back to standard. Any ideas?
Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There is no way to DIY...you need to get the company who mapped it to remove the map...or find the nearest representative for the "brand"....

TedStriker

Car(s)
2014 GTD
Unfortunately I don't have any clue who did it. I bought the car from copart and it was already like that. I guess any remapping company could do it as long as they have the original ecu map files.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Unfortunately I don't have any clue who did it. I bought the car from copart and it was already like that. I guess any remapping company could do it as long as they have the original ecu map files.

You need to start emailing the tuners in the UK with your ecu & VIN numbers to ask if they have any record of doing the map on your car.....worst case it was done by one of numerous "stock flash map on ebay" types of tuners..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Also what is the reg number of the car...I need to check it (with data I have) as you bought it from Copart..they have a history of selling "rinsed" cars...

TedStriker

Car(s)
2014 GTD
Also what is the reg number of the car...I need to check it (with data I have) as you bought it from Copart..they have a history of selling "rinsed" cars...
Hi, what do you mean by 'rinsed'?

I've had another idea - just replace the ECU with one from a standard car, they go for £25 or so on ebay and are apparently not covered by component protection - can it be that simple?

Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, what do you mean by 'rinsed'?

I've had another idea - just replace the ECU with one from a standard car, they go for £25 or so on ebay and are apparently not covered by component protection - can it be that simple?

Thanks

"Rinsed"....there are loads of cars (especially MK7 Golfs GTI/GTD/R) which are crashed, then written off, fixed badly & then resold at auction with no declared crash history......Copart is one of those places where cars are most certainly NOT what they appear!...& you cars problems sound like it has been messed around with..

I doubt you'll be able to get the car fully working by using a different engine ECU....as its on the immobiliser circuit....

TedStriker

Car(s)
2014 GTD
"Rinsed"....there are loads of cars (especially MK7 Golfs GTI/GTD/R) which are crashed, then written off, fixed badly & then resold at auction with no declared crash history......Copart is one of those places where cars are most certainly NOT what they appear!...& you cars problems sound like it has been messed around with..

I doubt you'll be able to get the car fully working by using a different engine ECU....as its on the immobiliser circuit....

Have no worries, any car I buy from Copart I buy with eyes wide open! This particular car is cat N and I bought it with damage visible. History shows nothing much exciting before it was written off and damage is consistent with cat N. From the history it looks like it was well looked after until 1 year before I bought it at which point some idiot managed to block up the DPF so had it gutted and mapped out. I don't think there's any performance mapping on it. The main reason I have it apart is that whoever gutted the DPF did a really shit job and had exhaust gases leaking into the cabin due to bad workmanship. All evidence points to it having lived in east London for its last year before being written off.

So it looks like replacement ECU isn't going to be the way to go due to immobiliser. So, back to the original question....

I don't think I'd have any luck tracing who did the 'remap'. Is it not possible for a remapper to flash a 'standard' ECU file onto it? Does prior remapping somehow prevent another company from overwriting the ECU map?

I used to do some minor DIY remapping on the Mk4 Golf platform using MPPS and generic map files and could swap a map in/out by simply reflashing but I know it's not the same these days with encryption/protection. Is it still possible though?

Thanks
Ted

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don't think I'd have any luck tracing who did the 'remap'. Is it not possible for a remapper to flash a 'standard' ECU file onto it? Does prior remapping somehow prevent another company from overwriting the ECU map?

I used to do some minor DIY remapping on the Mk4 Golf platform using MPPS and generic map files and could swap a map in/out by simply reflashing but I know it's not the same these days with encryption/protection. Is it still possible though?

Thanks
Ted

A decent tuner (with access to VW maps etc.) should be able to wipe & re flash your engine ECU back to "stock".....

& its way different to MK4 platform stuff!!....