GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18" OE PRETORIA wheels now available

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Just weighed my 18" Pretoria wheels that came with my Rabbit Edition, and they came in at 45.4 lbs with tire. The factory Bridgestone RE97AS have a listed weight of 22 lbs. Factor in wheel balancing weights, and the Pretoria wheels are 23 lbs at most.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Ha, I basically did the same as you a couple of months ago.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=837719&postcount=46

Similar findings, but I had the stock tires at 25lbs from the Bridgestone website.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.

OG McGibblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
i have seen a lot of wtb threads for these wheels. i am considering them because i now believe oem wheels may be stronger/more durable than alum flow-formed.

the 18" black prets cost about $310 per wheel, which i believe is the best price right now. $1240 for the set then. perhaps a local dealership would do better?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
the 18" black prets cost about $310 per wheel, which i believe is the best price right now. $1240 for the set then. perhaps a local dealership would do better?

VW is offering 10% mail in rebate for their accessories and some dealerships offer additional discount as well. You should be able to get a good deal combining these two.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
i have seen a lot of wtb threads for these wheels. i am considering them because i now believe oem wheels may be stronger/more durable than alum flow-formed.

This was the best price I found:
https://www.worldoemparts.com/world...uJm89Z3RpJnk9MjAxOCZ0PXNlJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1nYXM=
I called a local dealer and they agreed to match it. Plus the rebate...

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
A Costco sale convinced me to replace my Bridgestone RE97AS in favor of some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

The tires only have 2500 miles on them, so I kept them to sell, and decided to weigh them before I did. The tires came in 21.4-21.6 lbs, so Tire Rack's 22 lb figure is probably what they weigh on the high end when brand new.

So, subtracting that 21.5 lb average from the 45.4 lb I weighed the combo at and accounting for wheel balancing weights, the 18x7.5" Pretorias are just under 24 lbs.

That's not terrible for an OE 18" wheel (which in my experience tend to err on the side of weight/durability); my 18x7 Mazdaspeed3 factory wheels were just over 24 lbs.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Has anyone actually thrown a bare 18" Pretoria onto a scale? Or are the weights posted earlier in the thread simply calculated by subtracting posted estimated tire weights?

Cause my 18" Pretorias showed up today and I threw one on the scale. The bare wheel weighed 23 lbs, 2.7 oz.

Last edited:

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for validating. Great info to know.

And, yes, I was one who weighed my wheel/tire combo and used the tire mfg’s site to get the tire weight. Best I could do, without the cost of removing the tire.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
While I'm a tiny bit disappointed the Pretorias are a little heavier than I thought they were going to be, they're still quite a bit lighter than the stock Dallas wheels. Those came in at 26 lbs, 0.4oz. Still almost 3 lbs lighter.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
While I'm a tiny bit disappointed the Pretorias are a little heavier than I thought they were going to be, they're still quite a bit lighter than the stock Dallas wheels. Those came in at 26 lbs, 0.4oz. Still almost 3 lbs lighter.

Any idea if the silver ones weigh the same? I was considering those on my DBP GTI.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I didn't want to make a new thread for this question, but I have a lead on some brand new Pretorias with Conti dws06 tires for approx 1100 all said and done. Looking for opinions. I currently have Dallas wheels with some cheap OEM all seasons that need to be replaced anyway. I prefer summer tires though (live in San Diego) so idk if I'll be happy with the Contis.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
You can find brand new ones online for $285-300.

If the wheels you are looking at are scratch-free and the tires are not damaged, I'd jump on it.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
I didn't want to make a new thread for this question, but I have a lead on some brand new Pretorias with Conti dws06 tires for approx 1100 all said and done. Looking for opinions. I currently have Dallas wheels with some cheap OEM all seasons that need to be replaced anyway. I prefer summer tires though (live in San Diego) so idk if I'll be happy with the Contis.
I would be all over that. I spent $1246 ($1128 after rebate) on a set of brand new Pretorias after looking for a used set for months. That's without tires. The DWS06 is arguably the best all season performance tire there is.