GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17's vs 18's for winter

hypergti1

I just upgraded from my 2012 GTI S to a 2017 GTI SE. I used to run the 205/55/16's in the winter. Since the SE has the PP, I believe the smallest I can run is the 225/45/17's?? If this is the case, is it worth it to purchase the 17's or should I just go with winter tires that are 225/40/18 on the OE rims? I live in upstate NY and we generally do not get storms with deep snow most of the time.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Personally, I'm usually in favor of keeping a set of winter wheels, as the initial cost will be recouped over time by not paying to mount and balance tires twice a year. Besides the obvious benefit of having the right tire for the road conditions, the spare set of wheels will also help keep your factory wheel from experiencing the usual salt and pothole damage that comes with winter driving in a northern state.

This will soon degenerate into another thread where some people will try to tell you that all-seasons are perfectly OK in winter, as it does in every other thread on the topic, so if you're already planning to get winter tires (to the benefit of yourself and those you share the roads with), you probably don't need to read any posts beyond this one.

hypergti1

Thanks Shane. I already know from my 2012 GTI that winter tires are needed. I was just thinking of saving the cost but the mounting and balancing will add up and there is a $30 difference per tire in the cost from 17 to 18 that helps with the wheel cost.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Thanks Shane. I already know from my 2012 GTI that winter tires are needed. I was just thinking of saving the cost but the mounting and balancing will add up and there is a $30 difference per tire in the cost from 17 to 18 that helps with the wheel cost.

I didn't even think of the difference in tire cost. The way I looked at it, spending $200/yr on tire mounting means a $400 set of 17"s pays for itself in 2 years; I got lucky and found a set of OEM wheels with slightly-used winter tires on them (Michelin, no less) for exactly $400, from a guy who had his Passat TDI bought back. Given the number of VW wheels I found in my area (and Southeast MI isn't exactly awash in foreign cars), I suspect that the buyback has put quite a lot of used VW wheels on the market, from sellers in similar situations.

Good hunting!

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I keep a set of Blizzaks on 17inch rims. The rims I have are from my old 2010 GTI. They clear the PP brakes by a hair, it’s incredibly tight. It’s a great set up. The Blizzaks have been excellent and they have lasted surprisingly long. Plus with a set of spare rims, no need to mount and balance every 6 months.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I was interested in buying different set of wheels so i used the stock wheels for winter tires. Also stock austins will take the harsh roads better than cheap aftermarket wheels.

hypergti1

So are you all using 18"s if you are running stock wheels? I was considering going down to 17" and some aftermarket wheels

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I have 17x8 et45 wheels that I use with winter tires. I sold stock Austins and purchased 18" Durban wheels that I use in summer.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, 17s for winter, 18s for summers. I like downsizing for my winter wheels. Up here, they're on five or more months out of the year anyhow.

hypergti1

Found a guy with a nice set of four denvers but the tires are 215/45/17.
I believe everyone is using 225/45/17 for winter tires?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Found a guy with a nice set of four denvers but the tires are 215/45/17.
I believe everyone is using 225/45/17 for winter tires?

225/45/17 is the recommended size, as it doesn't cause enough speedometer error to notice. 215/45/17 has a 2% smaller diameter than the factory 225/40/18, which results in a slightly greater speedometer error, though still not enough (in my opinion) to matter.

At an indicated speed of 60mph, you will be travelling 58.8mph. At 70, it will be 68.6mph.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/