GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 GTI Shifter feels notchy and uninspiring...

Vw5002000

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello All. Have a 17 GTI S with just over 3800 miles on ED stage 2 tune. Only thing I've done is the clutch spring removal. Have a 3rd child on the way so my budget is limited. I can spend no more than $175 to make it feel better. What would you buy knowing that? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I thought notchy was good? Do you not like the spacing of the throws? I'd get a short shift kit or a heavier knob.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
It’s personal preference, of course, but I like notchy.

OP, check out the “How to Make Your 6MT Suck Less” thread, but if you’re on a budget and want a better shifting experience, get:

- Boomba Racing Adapter
- Clutch Stop

The Boomba Adapter sits on your existing shifter and dramatically shortens the throws. It’s also make the engagement more positive. The unit is very easily installed and removed if that’s important to you.

The clutch stop removes the dead space after the bite point. I got mine from eBay and love it!

Hope this helps.

Vw5002000

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies. Guess the best way to describe the shifting is it feels like I'm driving a truck. Drove a 17 Mustang GT today and that shifter felt so tight and crisp. Stock shiter as well. I want that feeling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Shift cable bushings for sure, and maybe a short throw to lessen the "truck" feel.

As someone whom drives trucks and coming from only RWD manual sport cars off the clock; the disconnect is really obvious; Some cheapy solid (plastic) cable bushings and any short throw and you'll forget you're pulling a lever attached to a couple cables.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Every manual I have ever driven (many platforms) all feel a little different. It just takes time and muscle memory to learn how to drive each one efficiently and basically subconsciously without thinking about it. Clutch spring was only thing I have done and personally not changing anything else. After 18 mos @ 16k it feels completely normal. Jmo.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
If you want notchy, get the Diesel Geek Short Shifter. It's a brilliantly made kit, but I personally hated the feel. Put in the S3 shifter, with the metal relay bracket and I was much happier.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
You can get the shifter to feel like a rifle bolt, but it takes some work and is outside of your budget. It feels like the bolt on a Mauser 98 pattern to me.

You'll need to upgrade the shifter bushings, cable end bushings, cable bracket bushings, shift levers, add a heavyweight shift knob, do the clutch delay valve delete, and make sure that you have plenty of counterweight on the shift lever