GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0-60 in a manual

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
To be fair though the biggest reason isn't 0-60 times or lap times. It's simply that VW's six-speed kinda blows, for this class of automobile. The fact that a much cheaper Honda has a better shifter than an R is sort of galling.

I'd wager that if the six speed in the R had exactly the same performance stats as it does currently, but was actually a slick, short-throw, shifter with great clutch feel, there'd be a lot more people who would prefer it to the DSG no matter what the numbers. And of course, there are those for whom numbers are key, and it's a no brainer then to go for the DSG.

The reason I think the R is better with the DSG is mostly that 1) the 6MT isn't great, and 2) the car seems designed for the DSG. All factors being equal, though, in a car this size I prefer a manual.

I'd agree with that, but that's my original point, is that vw's stick, besides being inferior at a technological level to the dsg, also just plain sucks compared to other manuals offered by competitors. They (vw) don't seem to care about actually upgrading and improving a manual transmission, they just give you the option of a manual, which is a lousy manual transmission also.

Now add the fact that vw obviously doesn't believe that people who buy their manual can actually drive it, I mean really drive it, thus all the stupid mods to both software and hard parts, you the consumer has to modify to actually make the most out of it, performance wise. I'm sure it makes it easier/smoother to drive normal but it is at the sacrifice of performance, which makes no sense to me on their, top dog performance vehicle and why when/if people actually understand this before purchase, why they would even bother with it.

I agree, vw seems to have designed it with dsg in mind, the manual is an afterthought and obviously not a lot of vw's $$$ goes toward the manual versions, it obvious. Why the end consumer would know all this and still buy it boggles my mind. Someone who has learned this after buying it, I understand and feel for and recommend eating the depreciation and trading in on dsg R instead of modding the manual version, cause it'll still suck, it just sucks less than the oem setup.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Once you upgrade some hardware it sucks no more! In fact I am glad I got the manual. I drove my cousin's DSG and don't think I'd be happy with it, its just another car with auto transmission. I can't do the paddles, it feels unnatural/ too artificial to me and takes away the fun factor which I was looking for in this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Well, waiting on my Dieselgeek short shifter and Raceseng knob, which I hope will mitigate some of the issues.

Eating depreciation isn't much of an option; did that crap when I was in my twenties, and my retirement fund never recovered! So I'm looking to pay off the R and buy a Mercedes :).

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Once you upgrade some hardware it sucks no more! In fact I am glad I got the manual. I drove my cousin's DSG and don't think I'd be happy with it, its just another car with auto transmission. I can't do the paddles, it feels unnatural/ too artificial to me and takes away the fun factor which I was looking for in this car.

this. is why i drive MT..no fun factor...when I got my 08 miata GT 6MT my dad picked up an automatic version...when got home we both took each car for fairly spirited drive...he wished he bought a 6MT with me...when I upgraded to the R...I gave him my miata instead of selling it since I knew how much he loved it..

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
this. is why i drive MT..no fun factor...when I got my 08 miata GT 6MT my dad picked up an automatic version...when got home we both took each car for fairly spirited drive...he wished he bought a 6MT with me...when I upgraded to the R...I gave him my miata instead of selling it since I knew how much he loved it..

Apples oranges. We're not talking about slush box autos. We're comparing the god awful oem manual in the R vs the oem dsg in the R, and there is no comparison to a Miata, in any possible way period.

Now mod your R, then you'll also have to replace the clutch, then watch that one start slipping too, then replace it again and so on, replace all the linkage, the shifter, the rest of the annoying hard parts that are engineered to help people who can't drive stick drive stick, then adjust the software, which helps but doesn't solve any launching issues then you still have the slowest version of vw's hottest performance car anyway, the defense of the inferior manual is laughable on this platform. It's even more laughable when performance is of great concern, which is how this thread started, 0-60, 1/4 dsg wins every time!

Simply put, if ya bought a manual, on this platform specifically the R, you don't have the biggest performance option offered on this car, vw's top dog performance variant, why even bother, the dsg makes the car a giant killer, the manual runs even with a 12 year old Sti, except at least you can actually launch the Sti !

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Never in my life have I seen someone rail so hard against a manual transmission. We get it dude, you like the DSG. Is it that hard to understand that those of us with a 6mt LIKE SHIFTING OUR OWN GEARS. It's not all about performance.

Kopfjager

Passed Driver's Ed
To the OP. 0-60 times will vary depending on temp (barometric pressure) track/road conditions, tire pressure, professional driver (not us) etc etc. I wouldn't get all wrapped up around it.

NyCSnEaK

I've never regretted getting my manual R, even after driving DSG equipped R's. I don't seem to enjoy the DSG as much. The novelty of pulling paddles wears off.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Never in my life have I seen someone rail so hard against a manual transmission. We get it dude, you like the DSG. Is it that hard to understand that those of us with a 6mt LIKE SHIFTING OUR OWN GEARS. It's not all about performance.

Yep, I like it, but the point is that it is better in every measurable way, you know generally what people do in performance variants, and it's not a little better it's waaaay better, but as I'm still relatively new to this forum, I guess I've learned what other dsg owners must have learned a long time ago, there's just no talking with the 10% of ya, so I'm out, enjoy your slow R

Kopfjager

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm almost positive this thread was about 0-60 times with a manual, not about DSG. I'm sure there's already a thread on that topic. Bye

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie

This! Agree 100% [emoji112]

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
"it is better in every measurable way"
?
Like:
- reliability
- initial price
- total cost of ownership
- mpgs
Just to name few where AT fails short. Even when it comes to performance, the way DSG shifts makes it slower when changing gears out of sequence. Fun factor or just ultimate control (as much as it can be had in vehicles with electronically controlled throttle) can't be objectively measured but even then it's hard to argue against MT. Everyone can drive AT (however annoying shortcomings were), MT is acquired taste (or necessity) but there's no going back once you mastered it.