GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Sorry to reply to a two-year-old post, but are there any updates to share about this?

I've got 17x9 SM-10's that I'm trying to run on my Mk8 and was hoping to find some Mk7 info that could help me gain some clearance around the fuel filler.

During initial testing for our VW fitments, we did have some concerns about the non-R models with fuel filler clearance. However, now that we have a ton of fitment data with various alignment/suspension/tire setups, we have learned that the fuel filler clearance is pretty much a non-issue. As some of the others have noted, the filler neck clearance only really becomes a problem with the most aggressive 255 tire compounds when running significant rear camber. In most cases, you will need to stay around the -2.0 degree mark out back to fit those without contacting the filler neck. As long as you have a mm or two from the tire to the filler neck, you will be in good standing.

Car looks great! Would you be able to share your suspension/alignment and wheel/tire specs? Also, feel free to share any other pics, as I can always upload them to our customer gallery!

-Geirsen

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
During initial testing for our VW fitments, we did have some concerns about the non-R models with fuel filler clearance. However, now that we have a ton of fitment data with various alignment/suspension/tire setups, we have learned that the fuel filler clearance is pretty much a non-issue. As some of the others have noted, the filler neck clearance only really becomes a problem with the most aggressive 255 tire compounds when running significant rear camber. In most cases, you will need to stay around the -2.0 degree mark out back to fit those without contacting the filler neck. As long as you have a mm or two from the tire to the filler neck, you will be in good standing.

Car looks great! Would you be able to share your suspension/alignment and wheel/tire specs? Also, feel free to share any other pics, as I can always upload them to our customer gallery!

-Geirsen
Thanks for the info.

I actually just slid my tank and used some plastic plumbers strap to get an extra 4-5 mm of clearance. I’ll get the rear camber dialed in and send it with the Falkens.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Got my alignment dialed and took it out for a quick shake down. Impressed isn’t even the word for it. I’m flabbergasted by how composed this platform is with a couple suspension tweaks and wider 200tw tires. This is going to be fun for HPDE and autoX.
IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2520.jpeg

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Got my alignment dialed and took it out for a quick shake down. Impressed isn’t even the word for it. I’m flabbergasted by how composed this platform is with a couple suspension tweaks and wider 200tw tires. This is going to be fun for HPDE and autoX.
Post your alignment sheet for us to see please

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Post your alignment sheet for us to see please
Here is the original, no sheet for yesterday’s adjustments since I did them myself with my Tenhulzen camber/toe plates.

I added negative camber to the rear so I ended up with -2.0 and had to get rid of a 1/16” of toe in to get back to 0

I might dial it back to -1.7 since it has plenty of clearance in the rear and I did notice it had a bit less rotation on tighter corners yesterday. Also, I probably just need to reevaluate my headspace since I’ve only run 200tw on the street a couple times prior to this.
View attachment IMG_2463.jpeg

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Here is the original, no sheet for yesterday’s adjustments since I did them myself with my Tenhulzen camber/toe plates.

I added negative camber to the rear so I ended up with -2.0 and had to get rid of a 1/16” of toe in to get back to 0

I might dial it back to -1.7 since it has plenty of clearance in the rear and I did notice it had a bit less rotation on tighter corners yesterday. Also, I probably just need to reevaluate my headspace since I’ve only run 200tw on the street a couple times prior to this.
View attachment 300830
-2 in the rear is about right on 200tw to match up to -2.2 to -2.5 up front. At -2.3 front and -1.8 rear i was still rolling the rears and having to up pressure to 44 in rear to keep balanced. With -2 I could bring the pressure down to upper 30s

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
-2 in the rear is about right on 200tw to match up to -2.2 to -2.5 up front. At -2.3 front and -1.8 rear i was still rolling the rears and having to up pressure to 44 in rear to keep balanced. With -2 I could bring the pressure down to upper 30s
Good to know. Thanks!

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
@APEXWheels Are you going to offer the VS-5RS, new VS-5RE, or new SM-10RE for the GTI/Golf R? I already have a set of SM-10s in 18x8.5 and love them. Would like to get a set of the VS-5RS in 18x8.5 as well.

I really want to, but I am going to need some justifiable demand from the community to push it through. The main reason why I don't think there is necessarily any need to offer MQB VW/Audi 5x112/57.1mm fitments in our new Enduro line is simply due to the fact that these cars are just so dang light. Combine that with the fact that most folks are using 17" wheels on the track with chunky tires, and considering there aren't many VW/Audis running around on slicks with a ton of Aero, it's hard to justify the need for a significantly stronger wheel (at the expense of unsprung weight, too).

Over the years, since our initial SM-10 launch, I have seen the least amount of warranty/replacement requests from VW compared to any other market. Since we targeted higher load ratings than required on both the FF and Forged VW wheels and we only offer 17" and 18" sizes, it's pretty rare to see a wheel bent or damaged from track use.

That said, we do plan to expand our current VW/Audi catalog this year with a few new Flow Formed and Forged designs (non-enduro). I'm pretty excited to start showing these off over the next few months, so make sure you keep an eye on this thread moving forward!

-Geirsen

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Over the years, since our initial SM-10 launch, I have seen the least amount of warranty/replacement requests from VW compared to any other market. Since we targeted higher load ratings than required on both the FF and Forged VW wheels and we only offer 17" and 18" sizes, it's pretty rare to see a wheel bent or damaged from track use.

-Geirsen
Well, as it just so happens I have a vs5rs sitting in my garage that my wife curbed and I've been too busy/lazy to do anything about it...yet 😅

Great wheels, though. The matching metal valves are also lovely.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
That said, we do plan to expand our current VW/Audi catalog this year with a few new Flow Formed and Forged designs (non-enduro). I'm pretty excited to start showing these off over the next few months, so make sure you keep an eye on this thread moving forward!

-Geirsen
Any pictures you can share, especially of the flow formed options? My cousin and I are both looking for new wheels.