GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf as a "Borderline Supercar"

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
There is a thread right now about a GTI vs. R that broached the subject of the R being a Borderline Supercar. To not highjack that thread, I'd like to talk about it here.

I would make the case that the R is decidedly NOT a borderline supercar.

Clearly, the R is a great car. It is fast, tunable and handles well. What it lacks is that special something that makes the car a sleeper. The interior is nice but people don't marvel at it. The exterior is buttoned down, but no one turns their heads. It is quick, but you still have to worry about that 5.0 that just pulled up. I would even argue that the name "Golf R" sucks as a nomenclature. Did no one consider that it sounds like Golfer? The R32 sounds badass at least (as a name and as an exhaust). I'd love an R2.0 or R20 or R20T (getting less cool as I ideate).

Let's look at the data...

Comparable Power:
https://www.zeroto60times.com/4-second-cars-0-60-mph-times/
With an APR stage 1 tune (very affordable)
http://www.autosnout.com/0-60-Times/0-60mph-in-less-than-4-seconds.php
https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html

Skidpad Comparisons (R is rated at .95):
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ars-of-car-and-driver-testing-orbitals-page-3

That being said, I own and love my GOLFR. It captures what I want in a car. Great community, fast as I need it, superb handling for my needs, and upgradable if I need to squeeze more out of the platform.

Someone said it is comparable to a supercar of 10-15 years ago and that makes a little more sense performance wise. I would also say that this thing is certainly a suburban supercar, if I can introduce the term. I regularly play the game with my daughter - "I'm faster than that car. I'm faster than that car. I'm faster than that car." On a daily commute, I might see 1, maybe 2 cars that I might consider a better/faster car. Of course they all lack the extra doors, reliability, and sleeper nature.

So, here's to our Suburban Supercars! :) Feel free to argue with me here or this weekend at Wookies in the Woods. I'll be driving the NOLA R vanity plates.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I’d assume they meant near super car with boltons and a tune minimum. Stock it’s quick but nowhere near super car territory.

Personally I like R, and refer to it as an R not a golf R. Still sounds better than F or V to my ear as it pertains to Lexus or caddy’s performance designation.

I like the sleeper vibe also as you mentioned. And I for one personally don’t worry about the new 5.0 one bit :)

KO7

Ready to race!
It’s a running joke in our local R club. While it’s no borderline supercar, it certainly is a super car. Jack of all trades car for the enthusiast who can only have one vehicle in the garage, especially for those who live in cities with tight parking.

drshark

Ready to race!
Ok, I'm the guilty party. And accept the hyperbole accusation; but I did say at that time I made a crass over-simplification...

But how's this for evidence: when a big-time TV show "drag raced" an R against a real supercar and made the point that: see, the Golf's still in the frame, not wildly blown away.

But yes, thank you for inventing a better term: "suburban supercar". I like it.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Define "supercar." These debates go a little bonkers with subjectivity.

I think "supercar" implies "super expensive" ($75-100k +??) for most people, so it fails that test.

Modded to 3.5 sec 0-60 seems super duper to me.

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Ok, I'm the guilty party. And accept the hyperbole accusation; but I did say at that time I made a crass over-simplification...

But how's this for evidence: when a big-time TV show "drag raced" an R against a real supercar and made the point that: see, the Golf's still in the frame, not wildly blown away.

But yes, thank you for inventing a better term: "suburban supercar". I like it.

Really just in it for the conversation. No need to apologize. We can be internet friends. :) Do you have a youtube link? Would love to see that.

I also agree that the R is better than the F or V. But you can't just have one letter. BMW at least has the M3/5/etc. The standalone initial sounds like you forgot something.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
One of the car rags awhile back (maybe a year or so) did a comparison of Super Cars w/ the Golf R. May have even been Top Gear on TV, can't remember

The final conclusion was it was just a couple ticks off Super Car pace and handling and much more civilized, cost less to own and blends in so well you can park it at the grocery store and no one would bother you.

So yes, it's on the cusp of performing like a Super Car, but it doesn't have the looks, the price or panache a "true" Super Car carries. Of course that panache hits you in the pocket book.

If you are an extrovert and want everyone to gawk when you drive by and know how much money you have, then buy a $100K plus Super Car. If you want convenience, almost there performance at a fraction of the cost get an "R" and don't care about car adoration.

I have 2 friends, one has a 2015 Jag F-type "R" and the other a heavily modded (original) Acura NSX in sunshine yellow. Both are awesome cars, but neither are very practical for everyday driving, especially the NSX. Sure he gets looks and people stop and ask about it all the time.

The newer Jags are more tractable for daily driving, but he has to park it way out and forget driving in snow, but still a bit more of PITA to own

If either had an "R" they could get 8/10th's there and no one would notice. Secretly I think they both like it when people notice. Neither guys come close to using the capabilities of their car, not even close on the street.

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
If you are an extrovert and want everyone to gawk when you drive by and know how much money you have, then buy a $100K plus Super Car. If you want convenience, almost there performance at a fraction of the cost get an "R" and don't care about car adoration.

I have 2 friends, one has a 2015 Jag F-type "R" and the other a heavily modded (original) Acura NSX in sunshine yellow. Both are awesome cars, but neither are very practical for everyday driving, especially the NSX. Sure he gets looks and people stop and ask about it all the time.

The newer Jags are more tractable for daily driving, but he has to park it way out and forget driving in snow, but still a bit more of PITA to own

If either had an "R" they could get 8/10th's there and no one would notice. Secretly I think they both like it when people notice. Neither guys come close to using the capabilities of their car, not even close on the street.

To your point, I have a buddy with an i8. His carbon fiber tub and electric motor are sweet, but with a 0-60 time of 4.0 seconds and 36 mpg make his purchase seem dumb. Although, those doors... *drool* Same .95 skidpad results BTW.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My two cents: Unlike an R (which really is the best car for me) and other quick cars, supercars in stock form inspire awe for their speed, price, and exotic sexiness. These days they better run 0-60 below 3.5 seconds, trap the quarter ~125+, and hit top speeds ~200+. Also in stock form they should be capable of exceptionally fast lap times proving their braking and handling capabilities as well. I've always been more of a fan of muscle and sports cars because they are attainable by the likes of this regular guy, whose head always turns with appreciation when a true supercar passes by.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I know we all buy cars for emotional reasons, not always practical reasons. An some people buy a car to let others know about their status or wealth in society. No judgment there as we all have varying reasons to buy what we buy. Some are just passionate about great cars. My buddy loves his NSX, he didn't buy it to flaunt anything. He bought it and modded it simply for himself. In fact he's looking at an R8 now. His NSX has peaked in appreciated value and he wants to get rid of it before the value starts dropping. He also said it's time to have another car experience.

If I was to buy one car today if I have unlimited funds it would be a late model Ferrari 246 Dino Spider w/Daytona seats. I think that it is one of the sexiest cars made. It handles perfectly and has just enough power to have loads of fun. In fact many Ferrari enthusiasts say it's the best handling Ferrari ever built.

All my friends think I'm crazy that I wouldn't get something more modern and faster. I have always been in love with the Dino, it's a rolling sculpture that I'd never get tired of looking at or driving. 20 years ago you could get a nice Dino for $65-80K. Now you can't touch one for less than $150-200K and the full frame off restoration models can hit $250K + with the right provenance. If only I had the means and could predict the future back 20 years ago or so.

AJ15

Ready to race!
:rolleyes:

I come from the camp that doesn't believe GTR's (R35) or Porsche 911's or McLaren 570s' are "supercars". They are "sportscars". I don't think most Ferrari's and Lamborghinis are "supercars". They are "exotics" - and worthy of appreciation.

Although, now that we have that crazy echelon of "hyper cars", some cars, like the Aventador, Ford GT, 675LT, F12 etc. might get bumped to what would be considered a "super car".

A Golf is certainly not anywhere near any of these cars mentioned... even with a "tune". :rolleyes: