GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boss 500 Project

importrx7

Ready to race!
Looks like they listened even more than you’d think because the little hose I imagine is to give more length for the coolant feed and the other one I’m sure is for the coolant drain line people say was tight

Attachments

• 33228650-0A40-4F61-8EEF-84BFAE98B34A.jpeg
    33228650-0A40-4F61-8EEF-84BFAE98B34A.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 996

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Nice, I didn’t have the issue, but I’ve heard some stories. Sounds/seems like you got the “bugs ironed out” upgraded kit!!! Now get off the forum and back into the garage lol

importrx7

Ready to race!
Hmmm so they must have changed the outlet setup significantly since they released it, that bend off the compressor housing was previously a silicone bend, at least based on everything I'd seen. Actually now that I stared at it more it's actually a CTS branded compressor housing, they used to just have the stock Garrett comp housing...I wonder how that's going to affect things.

Edit: It's too early, so much is different it's wild. That's a DV flange on the housing, as well as a CNC'd wastegate bracket (which might help with some fitment issues I've heard about there) on top of being a custom CTS anti-surge comp housing. That means less silicone piping, and POTENTIALLY no requirement for a CTS DV/BOV if there is clearance for the factory DV.

I'm still 50/50 between a 500 and 600, with my only hold up being street drivability and room for improvement down the line, since the BOSS 500 can be maxed out on a stock bottom end. Before when it was just a Garrett super core on a CTS exhaust housing I wasn't concerned because you could swap out the core and be on your way. If they've started using a proprietary comp housing, that simple upgrade is sort of out the window and you'd need to buy a CTS super core.

Just get the 600 from the get go and then you’ll have room to grow. The spool time isn’t between the two very much and with R gearing you’ll always be in full boost. Don’t do like I did get your Boss 500 in the mail and regret not going with the bigger one from the get go then have to do the whole exchange process like I did.

Calubi

Ready to race!
Can't wait to see some results!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Just get the 600 from the get go and then you’ll have room to grow. The spool time isn’t between the two very much and with R gearing you’ll always be in full boost. Don’t do like I did get your Boss 500 in the mail and regret not going with the bigger one from the get go then have to do the whole exchange process like I did.
I think you're right, and UM has been great with setting up low torque stock block tunes with bigger/equal size turbos too. Not really a price question at least, just what your end goal is.

And with all these little changes, it's just that much more appealing. I'm a huge fan of IROZ, but the price, the need for a non-stock style downpipe, intake, etc. make it a tough pick over the BOSS.

Looking forward to updates on this as well!!!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

soulrider4ever

Ready to race!
I think you're right, and UM has been great with setting up low torque stock block tunes with bigger/equal size turbos too. Not really a price question at least, just what your end goal is.

And with all these little changes, it's just that much more appealing. I'm a huge fan of IROZ, but the price, the need for a non-stock style downpipe, intake, etc. make it a tough pick over the BOSS.

Looking forward to updates on this as well!!!

Hmmm.. I ordered my BOSS600 kit a month ago - I just opened the box - it looks like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm.. I ordered my BOSS600 kit a month ago - I just opened the box - it looks like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what mine looks like also, ordered mine on Black Friday, just for reference. They musta quietly updated their kit obviously. Still not sure if I’m mad or not lol

Calubi

Ready to race!
What's with the three large "slots" around the inlet in the newer housing?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
What's with the three large "slots" around the inlet in the newer housing?
Looks like an anti surge housing, it's a recirculating vent designed to reduce the effect of surge from more boost/air being created than the engine can use. That causes the turbo wheel to stop or slow, and can damage the turbo.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Anyone want to contact CTS and get some better information about this before we start labelling things old and new? I mean I support the changes they made if this is accurate, but I haven't found a thing on their website or social media about this change.

importrx7

Ready to race!
Anyone want to contact CTS and get some better information about this before we start labelling things old and new? I mean I support the changes they made if this is accurate, but I haven't found a thing on their website or social media about this change.

I’m sending them an email right now to ask what changes from the old instructions I need to account for.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I’m sending them an email right now to ask what changes from the old instructions I need to account for.
Let us know what they say, then we're at least educated on any changes. Much appreciated as well!

importrx7

Ready to race!
What’s strange is my Boss 500 looked like the old kits. I opened the box when it came in to look at it. Here is the 500 I got 2 weeks before I got this one in the mail.

Attachments

• 5DAEDC5F-5190-4E3C-9BC9-5E1AB9DB7FAF.jpeg
    5DAEDC5F-5190-4E3C-9BC9-5E1AB9DB7FAF.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 891