GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

soulrider4ever Build Thread

soulrider4ever

Ready to race!
I never thought that my car would be a 'dedicated thread worthy' car as all I ever planned to do was a stage 1 to it. Well plans quickly changed and I've slowly been adding mods to the car over the years and now I'm at a point where I think she deserves her own thread.

History

When I bought my first R in Red back in November 2015 I had my turbo blow with 500 miles on it, it took the engine with it and I refused to take the car back, I was able to get VAG to give a voucher and I traded it in for a new 2016 white R.

Purchased in Jan 2016 a 2016 white golf R without navigation or DCC, on the standard issued 18" wheels. I went to stage 1 pretty much right away and installed a BCS Powervalve exhaust, a few months later got the Unitronic IC/DP combo, and UM reflash to the Red stage 2 file. At that time I also installed a Fluidampr. I bought Okada Plasma coil packs and one of them caught fire.. that was a rough day LOL. They refunded my purchase at least.

After this I added the UM PROFlex kit because I have E85 near me. I would typically run E40 or so. I can't say that I felt a huge difference going to just the Flex Fuel. I decided to switch exhausts and went with the Scorpion 3" cat-back, and AWE switchpath remote for the valves. Then maybe 6 months later I decided to add MPI with a single Walbro 450 and go stage 2+, this made a huge difference in the feel of the car, like when I went from stock to stage 1. Track time here was 11.6@122mph, and dyno was 360wph.

After my first R had the turbo pop, paranoia kicked in and I decided to upgrade the turbo and went with the CTS Boss600 kit. To my surprise the car didn't 'feel' much faster than the stage 2+, but I did make more whp up top, the performance numbers of dragy showed a improvement from 60-130 times of 10.17 to 8.5sec so it was an actual improvement, while it didn't feel faster, it definitely was! I then added the UM Haldex tune, this was really something special! Track time with street tires netted an 11.32 @ 124.66mph, dyno went up to 441whp.

About 4 months after going to the BT, my #1 piston died. Poor guy! So it was time for a full rebuild of the motor. My shop and I decided to get JE pistons, IE Tuscan I-beam rods, IE spring kit, ARP headstuds, Ferrea Alloy intake/exhaust valves, Mahle Rod Bearing Set, IMS Brushless LPFP, AWE Catted DP non-res (for CEL reasons), all orders have been placed. As of now (early October 2018) she is still in the rebuild process and should be done hopefully before Halloween. I will post dyno numbers when available. (On a side note I will have the Uni catted and OEM downpipes and stock exhaust for sale soon)

So here is my full mod list, some stuff already mentioned, others not.

Engine/Performance

VWR600 intake
Unitronic Intercooler
AWE Catted DP
Precisions Raceworks MPI 1300cc
Scorpion Exhaust
CTS Boss600 kit original revision
Fluidampr
RS3 coilpacks & RS7 plugs
UM PROFlex kit
JE pistons
IE Tuscan I-beam rods
IE valve spring kit
ARP headstuds
Ferrea Alloy intake/exhaust valves
Mahle Rod Bearing Set
IMS Brushless LPFP
ECS Tuning High Flow Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit
4 bar map sensor
034 Density Engine/Transmission mounts

Software

UM ECU/TCU tunes
UM Haldex tune

Other

Dragy GPS
ECS StreetShield
EBC Yellow Pads
ECS Tuning Baffled Oil Catch Can System (and cold weather bypass)
Stock DV (didn't use CTS)
CTS Dog Bone Mount
Aggressiv Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler Cover
ECS 4" Black Chrome Swivel Tips
Eurozone Tuning 8" GLASS DISPLAY RETROFIT KIT
AWE Switchpath remote control
RokBlokz Mud Flaps

And here is 1 photo of my car in desperate need of a car wash :D

IMG_3131 by soulrider4ever, on Flickr

Before and after build comparison chart UPDATED 2/2/2019

Last edited:

soulrider4ever

Ready to race!
Sleeper look FTW.

Sorry to hear about the piston. I see it is #1....wonder if the Boss600 on E40 +mpi was just too much fuel requirement for the 450?

Probably, I was closer to E57 that morning. I was chasing down a GTI, and passed him, he gave me a thumbs up -- my car gave me a thumbs down. :p

blower

Ready to race!
Man, you don't mess around do ya!

Would love to see more pictures of the build / final result.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
How does the dq250 handle the torque would be sweet with a dq500 in that car.:D

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
After my first R had the turbo pop, paranoia kicked in and I decided to upgrade the turbo and went with the CTS Boss600 kit. To my surprise the car didn't 'feel' much faster than the stage 2+, but I did make more whp up top, the performance numbers of dragy showed a improvement from 60-130 times of 10.17 to 8.5sec so it was an actual improvement, while it didn't feel faster, it definitely was! I then added the UM Haldex tune, this was really something special! Track time with street tires netted an 11.32 @ 124.66mph, dyno went up to 441whp.

soulrider, excellent build~! curious about your dragy times, do you have any times for 80-120 or 60-100 or 80-100 or 60-80? where are these things posted? i dont have dragy but like to see how quick folks are with their specific mods. thanks!!

soulrider4ever

Ready to race!
soulrider, excellent build~! curious about your dragy times, do you have any times for 80-120 or 60-100 or 80-100 or 60-80? where are these things posted? i dont have dragy but like to see how quick folks are with their specific mods. thanks!!

You can actually just download the app for iOs or android, you can view the leader-board there, I used the same username if you want to follow me.