GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI IS20 vs GTI IS38 *Video*

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Wait... You're telling me that I've been measuring it wrong? All this time I thought I had a 4 inch cock. Now it's even smaller... :(

Everyone knows you can calculate your Adjusted Penis Size (or TMI) with the following formula: ((L*D)+(W/G))/(A^2)

Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the tip squared.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Everyone knows you can calculate your Adjusted Penis Size (or TMI) with the following formula: ((L*D)+(W/G))/(A^2)

Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the tip squared.
I got this reference :)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
Darn people thinking for themselves, get back in the herd.
It's more the fact that your comment "Just give it time." adds NOTHING to the conversation and could just be kept to yourself.
Making an assumption based on nothing or without sharing experience to base your comment on.
Just annoying and or ignorance at its best.

190K RPM for an oil sleeve bearing is slow, nowhere near its failure speed.
As long as oil pressure is consistent, the proper oil is used and at operating temp. A lot of other factors come into play also when it comes to bearing failure.

Looks good and I'm not doubting the car makes massive power at 29psi and w/m on an is38... but who posts uncorrected numbers?

All my dynos have been uncorrected, so tried to keep it the same.
I tuned to my location and well have to adjust it as needed if traveling. But is no problem with the sliders.
Also because that's the power my car makes where I live in the current conditions.

DynoJet Uncorrected
TQ 456.310
HP 423.270
Correction Factor 1.000000
Density Altitude (Ft) 884.609
Correction Formula None
Accuracy 1.000000
Temp(ref) 70.000
Pressure(ref) 30.076
Humidity(ref) 97.000

STD
TQ 461.973
HP 428.523
Correction Factor 1.012410
Correction Formula J607 (+)
Accuracy 1.000131
Temp(ref) 77 deg-F
Pressure(ref) 29.92 inHg
Humidity(ref) 0.00%
Efficiency(ref) 100.0%

SAE
TQ 450.526
HP 417.905
Correction Factor 0.987324
Correction Formula J1394
Accuracy 1.000040
Temp(ref) 77 deg-F
Pressure(ref) 990 mBar
Humidity(ref) 0.00%
Efficiency(ref) 85.00%

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
It's more the fact that your comment "Just give it time." adds NOTHING to the conversation and could just be kept to yourself.
Making an assumption based on nothing or without sharing experience to base your comment on.
Just annoying and or ignorance at its best.

190K RPM for an oil sleeve bearing is slow, nowhere near its failure speed.
As long as oil pressure is consistent, the proper oil is used and at operating temp. A lot of other factors come into play also when it comes to bearing failure.

That remark was followed by another giving some explanation for why I made the first:

Just give it time.

Roughly 190k rpm is going to create some high loads on the bearings.

I don't doubt that a bearing assembly designed to operate at 190k should survive operating at that speed.

Let's be clear that I was replying to the person who asked about a turbo that was assumed to be a stock IS20 turbo being pushed to 29 psi.

If you want to continue the discussion of why I think an IS20 turbo being operated at 29 psi is likely to fail prematurely I'm glad to.

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
That remark was followed by another giving some explanation for why I made the first:

I don't doubt that a bearing assembly designed to operate at 190k should survive operating at that speed.

Let's be clear that I was replying to the person who asked about a turbo that was assumed to be a stock IS20 turbo being pushed to 29 psi.

If you want to continue the discussion of why I think an IS20 turbo being operated at 29 psi is likely to fail prematurely I'm glad to.

Right on, with that cleared up.
I'll put this info out there.
Regarding the IS20 Stock turbo, it peaks at 29, it does not hold 29.
If I recall it holds 25-26 psi depending on gear.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7

My is20 would be one of those that is peaking 29 psi. I'd love to hear your reasoning here.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My is20 would be one of those that is peaking 29 psi. I'd love to hear your reasoning here.

At the risk of this getting very technical, the turbo is under greater stress at higher psi.

Thrust loads, radial loads, heat, etc. It's all higher at greater pressure ratios and rpms.

These turbos aren't very reliable to begin with, and the tune can only take you so far. You can't cheat physics.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
At the risk of this getting very technical, the turbo is under greater stress at higher psi.

Thrust loads, radial loads, heat, etc. It's all higher at greater pressure ratios and rpms.

These turbos aren't very reliable to begin with, and the tune can only take you so far. You can't cheat physics.

I agree about higher boost and shaft speed being attributed to faster wear, but it seems like most of the is20 issues have been solved, if I recall correctly that was only 2014 build dates and maybe early 2015. There's been a few is20s that I know of that have been at 29+ psi, wolf was at high boost for a very long time and over 30 psi peak with meth. The is20 car from the video has the stock turbo ET and trap speed record, and I have the 2nd fastest trapping is20 car. We're both peaking 29 psi and I've had no issues, haven't heard of any issues from the other guy either.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I agree about higher boost and shaft speed being attributed to faster wear, but it seems like most of the is20 issues have been solved, if I recall correctly that was only 2014 build dates and maybe early 2015. There's been a few is20s that I know of that have been at 29+ psi, wolf was at high boost for a very long time and over 30 psi peak with meth. The is20 car from the video has the stock turbo ET and trap speed record, and I have the 2nd fastest trapping is20 car. We're both peaking 29 psi and I've had no issues, haven't heard of any issues from the other guy either.

You know I probably will not spend the time nor cake to upgrade the turbo in this thing. ^^^ This may be the route I go and have 5150 make me a high octane tune and spin it up. Not road racing this thing.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
What fuel (octane please) did the guy use that made 348/423 on?? Thanks.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

They do seem to have come a long way since the '15s.

Regardless, the higher the boost the more stress, wear, etc.

What the actual lifespan will be at 29psi vs say 23-24psi, no one really knows.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
They do seem to have come a long way since the '15s.

Regardless, the higher the boost the more stress, wear, etc.

What the actual lifespan will be at 29psi vs say 23-24psi, no one really knows.

My guess is less.