GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BUSTED! - Plastic oil pan...

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
GolfDave's OEM+ part guide is the best solution. Not to bash ECS but there's won't protect for anything. It secures like the OEM plastic cover found on the A3. If you hit something with it, it will force the bumper forward and bend up into the pan. Steel pans are the best option, I'm installing an aluminum Wortec one on mine.

The ECS increased capacity stainless pan is also very tempting, 11 gauge steel.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-steel-oil-pan-mqb-gen3-tsi/008012ecs01-01kt/

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/steel-oil-pan-kit/018573ecs01kt1/

^^^^^ only one I'd consider ^^^^^^

Stamped steel is plenty strong and priced well (under $80). Most OEM Volkswagen pans on previous models were stamped steel just like this one and it's very rare (and under very extreme circumstances) that I've ever seen one crack.

Pretty much all skid plates are counter productive since they reduced ground clearance making it more likely that you hit and if you still have the plastic pan under it it can still be broken if/when the skid flexes. Ik Ik "its really strong, ECS said so" but they're also the ones selling it. Google "mk4 skid plate VW vortex" if you wanna see some skid plate vs oil pan carnage

boomvang

As others have posted, a 2" drop is quite a bit. If you smack a rock at speed there is no pan, steel, aluminum or plastic that won't suffer. Too bad Diesel Geek does'nt make one for our cars. Robust aluminum, with great mounting setup. Had one on my Sportwagen and loved it.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
GolfDave's OEM+ part guide is the best solution. Not to bash ECS but there's won't protect for anything. It secures like the OEM plastic cover found on the A3. If you hit something with it, it will force the bumper forward and bend up into the pan. Steel pans are the best option, I'm installing an aluminum Wortec one on mine.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-steel-oil-pan-mqb-gen3-tsi/008012ecs01-01kt/

I have looked at these also.
After install PM me and share your thoughts on which you picked.
Both look nice. The SS one I think would hold up the best but aluminum one looks nice.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm installing an aluminum Wortec one on mine.

The Wortec oil pan has an INCREASED capacity of +1lt so 7lt total...
Plus it has better baffling & proper cooling fins....& a British company as based here in UK...mainly GM & Ford tuning & big brake kits....in house design/cad/CNC etc...

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volk...raded-Aluminum-Oil-Pan-Kit-1.8T-and-2.0T.html

The ESC one has a stupid ESC logo tacked on & some of the bolts look way too close to the main welds..so the head of the bolt might seat on the edge of the weld.....:eek:....

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I know it is up to my insurer, but wouldn't this be similar to hitting a guard rail? ie covered under collision?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I know it is up to my insurer, but wouldn't this be similar to hitting a guard rail? ie covered under collision?

Why go through insurance for a $170 part?

If it gets recorded as an accident on the Carfax you're going to lose $2-3k in resale value, and by filing a claim you're going to pay higher premiums for 3-5 years.

Makes no sense.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
That ECS pan looks like something you would weld up in your garage. I am not saying it doesn’t work, it just doesn look it’s professionally done.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Why go through insurance for a $170 part?

If it gets recorded as an accident on the Carfax you're going to lose $2-3k in resale value, and by filing a claim you're going to pay higher premiums for 3-5 years.

Makes no sense.

I agree. Don't go through insurance for this if it's only the oil pan.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I was thinking if you don't get it shut off in time.......yeah even I know better than to make a claim of low vale. I have a 2k deductible.

thinking on it I bet even a so-so plastic one will help in 1/2 the cases just by deflecting the rock.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Idk why anyone would ever buy a cast aluminum oil pan...even less safe than plastic.

The ECS one looks like what you'd get from a professional fabrication shop...because ECS outsourced it to exactly that. Winchester Metal works I believe. It's just way overkill for 99% of people price And protection wise. Unless you're doing rally x I don't see it being justified.

A regular stamped steel pan holds up fine to rocks, pot holes, car parts, etc. at way more than a 2" drop. I daily drove 85k miles in Ohio slammed on coils in two separate mk6 with zero issues. Oem stamped steel pans

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
As others have posted, a 2" drop is quite a bit. If you smack a rock at speed there is no pan, steel, aluminum or plastic that won't suffer. Too bad Diesel Geek does'nt make one for our cars. Robust aluminum, with great mounting setup. Had one on my Sportwagen and loved it.

Yeah, 2" can certainly make the difference between clearing a rock - or not clearing said rock.

wave

Ready to race!
That ECS pan looks like something you would weld up in your garage. I am not saying it doesn’t work, it just doesn look it’s professionally done.

As a welder/fabricator by day, I can tell you that this pan is a work of stainless steel art. It's a shame when people can't recognize quality craftsmanship.

Not only was it professionally done, but if someone tried to make that in their garage, they would invest the good part of a week.:eek:

The "ECS" on the side is tacky, however.