GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I know this is all probably sales talk but the distributor says the turbo is really stout. They have one in their Golf R but haven't been able to tune it yet. They say in their experience it spooled faster then the is38 and includes a 1 year warranty. I'm taking all that with a grain of salt but am hopefull it'll work out.

They specifically mentioned a beefed up shaft, which is one of our known points of failure. Hard to imagine it spooling faster than the IS38 and still making more top-end power, but I'm not an engineer :)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
It’s making decent torque around 3k. Pulls like a mofo up top! May just order this and a clutch. :).

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
They specifically mentioned a beefed up shaft, which is one of our known points of failure. Hard to imagine it spooling faster than the IS38 and still making more top-end power, but I'm not an engineer :)

Yeah doesnt make much sense. The distributor also mentioned tomioka will come out with a ball bearing kit but that wont be till some time in the future.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
So to answer a few questions.
First the car. It's a 2016 Golf R DSG. Has an Integrated Engineering intercooler, Integrated Engineering open intake, and a custom AFR Autoworks Inconel downpipe. Also a Racingline 90 degree elbow. Other than that the car is bone stock. Stock fuel, stock catback, and even has the original spark plugs.

Previously the car put down 330whp On the Dynomite Dyno at AFR Autoworks. At the time it was on an early non adjustable Eurodyne Stage 2 93 octane tune. About 3 months later it was dyno'd at Calgary Autoworks on their Dynocom and put down 360whp with no changes from the AFR dyno. This shows us that the AFR Dyno is nice and conservative.

We bolted on the Tomioka IHX475 turbo, flashed Eurodyne Maestro, then loaded the Maestro Stage 2 high torque base file. Took the car for a few pulls to make sure the wastegate adapted and strapped it to the AFR Autoworks dyno. It made 380whp with no changes to the base map.

Finally we started tuning and were able to achieve a peak of 415whp, but dialled it back to
410whp on 93 octane, we then added 116 race gas till we got a 105 octane mix. The car then was able to put down 450whp.

It started snowing here while we were on the dyno so we could not do a road test immediately after the dyno.

Tonight we were able to get it out on the road and do a couple logs. We see a couple small issues. I am going to be ordering new spark plugs this weekend a couple heat ranges colder than stock and see what happens.

I have a Dragy and will post some results once the roads are fully clear and I can get some real tires on. I will also be attending street legal 1/4 mile here when the track opens in a couple months. On the 330whp stage 2 tune I was able to achieve an 11.95 @ 115mph. That was with the rear seat removed. I have since purchased a lightweight battery and will be pulling the front passenger seat for at least one of the passes.
Any questions let me know.

Also the Tomioka isn't a "hybrid". It is all new, with no IS38 housings recycled. I have no doubts about it's reliability but time will tell. When Tomioka releases their bigger turbo in the future I will probably test that one out as well.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
True i didnt think about reselling his is38, oh i was just saying is38 is capable of much more than he dynoed - unless that just a mustang dyno reading or something iin which case if he put down that 400 number on a stang dyno :eek:

I doubt you would ever see an IS38 dyno anywhere near 400whp on this dyno. It is very conservative. If you want to paypal me $200 for gas and baselines I'll drive the 1.5 hours to another dyno and get another 30-40whp on a more forgiving dyno.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Does it drive much laggier below like 2500. I'm pretty much under 2500 all the time when daily driving.

It feels pretty much the same as the IS38 on stage 2 when just driving around town like a grandpa.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I know this is all probably sales talk but the distributor says the turbo is really stout. They have one in their Golf R but haven't been able to tune it yet. They say in their experience it spooled faster then the is38 and includes a 1 year warranty. I'm taking all that with a grain of salt but am hopefull it'll work out.

It's a few hundred RPM later spool, but pulls right up to redline with no dropping off of power (torque falls a but but that's to be expected) I'm thinking if I get valve springs and can raise the rev limit I might be able to get a bit more out of it.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
It's a few hundred RPM later spool, but pulls right up to redline with no dropping off of power (torque falls a but but that's to be expected) I'm thinking if I get valve springs and can raise the rev limit I might be able to get a bit more out of it.

The thing about DI and revving high is you run out of injection window REAL quick.

A normal port fuel injected engine has all the time in the world because the fuel and air are brought in at the same time.

DI engines usually start getting dicey when you try to inject fuel in less than 6 milliseconds. You can get around this by adding more rail pressure if the cam pump can give it to you, and if the LPFP can keep up as well. Then you have to worry about the fuel rail being able to handle the added pressure.

I wonder if the fuel rail between the GDI engines and the TDI engines are:

1) the same

if not

2) compatible-ish

If not you're best bet would be to go with a MPI additional set up if you plan on revving to the moon.