GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Tuning DSG ROM Collection

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I've also debated it to replace my ED tune, if it's not $630 better I'd return it.

Unfortunately you're stuck with a $100 labor bill coming and going though which sucks. I think you only get it if you plan to keep it, or like throwing away money on labor.

Did ED fix their DSG tune with their updates??

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
This is exactly why I haven’t gone through with it. I keep bouncing back and forth on it, knowing it’s lighting cash on fire, because it’s infuriating having to keep RPM below 3k at all times as to not induce clutch slip.

Peak torque is 2700'ish on the IS20. You'd have to keep it under 2500 or over 4400 to stay out of the torque bulge. I hope you like downshifting a lot.

Yeah, I don't have much to complain about now really.
Drive mode isn't very sensitive to throttle input, it will still shift between 2400 and 3000 even if you're on it pretty hard. But it's drive mode. Sport on the other hand won't shift until 3k and will wind it out quite nicely with partial throttle past 30%.

Measured my clutch1/clutch2 pressure at about 13bar. Stock is around 9bar. I'd be interested to see what other DSG tunes produce as far as pressure is concerned, but this is enough for me to not slip.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Peak torque is 2700'ish on the IS20. You'd have to keep it under 2500 or over 4400 to stay out of the torque bulge. I hope you like downshifting a lot.

Yeah, I don't have much to complain about now really.
Drive mode isn't very sensitive to throttle input, it will still shift between 2400 and 3000 even if you're on it pretty hard. But it's drive mode. Sport on the other hand won't shift until 3k and will wind it out quite nicely with partial throttle past 30%.

Measured my clutch1/clutch2 pressure at about 13bar. Stock is around 9bar. I'd be interested to see what other DSG tunes produce as far as pressure is concerned, but this is enough for me to not slip.

RPM doesn't matter as much as throttle control I would say.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I can't speak to this as far as I'm manual but I follow the ed maestro fb page and there are really only a few people who have issues with it and personally I think it has a lot to do with people not doi my the adaptation process corrrctly

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
When did he recommend the tuner? He had problems with his... Malone DSG tune if I remember correctly and fixed it with an APR DSG tune.

This a full custom tune by Reflecttuning. Not Malone. Its 350 for the tune plus 350 for the tool rental, and then you get it back when you return it. He had alot of good things to say about it. He said he had a 3-4th gear issue at lows speeds, but got impatient and bought apr. i've been emailing the tuner back and forth and he seems pretty open about everything. He is willing to tweak any issues that may arise and says he has gotten all the issues sorted since then.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
This a full custom tune by Reflecttuning. Not Malone. Its 350 for the tune plus 350 for the tool rental, and then you get it back when you return it. He had alot of good things to say about it. He said he had a 3-4th gear issue at lows speeds, but got impatient and bought apr. i've been emailing the tuner back and forth and he seems pretty open about everything. He is willing to tweak any issues that may arise and says he has gotten all the issues sorted since then.

Nice, sounds like a good alternative at a reasonable price to what is available now.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Nice, sounds like a good alternative at a reasonable price to what is available now.

That's how i see it. I'm emailing him back and forth right now to get all details like communication, top off tunes if problems arise after the cable has been shipped back, ect. I'll keep you guys informed. Jcarl did mention that the apr tuned shifted slower than this one, so im excited!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
That's how i see it. I'm emailing him back and forth right now to get all details like communication, top off tunes if problems arise after the cable has been shipped back, ect. I'll keep you guys informed. Jcarl did mention that the apr tuned shifted slower than this one, so im excited!

APR is probably like ED. Fast shifts under WOT and lazy shifts at part throttle. Only issue is if you are peddling it in 1st/2nd to maintain traction, when it shifts to 2nd/3rd under part throttle you can tell its a lazy shift and drops boost between gears. If possible, DSG tunes should always be coded for maximum speed shifts if RPM is above 4K imo.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
If my DSG has already slipped a couple times, will a DSG help it to not further slip in the future, or am I already boned since it's slipped? APR dealer just opened within walking distance of my home...

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
If my DSG has already slipped a couple times, will a DSG help it to not further slip in the future, or am I already boned since it's slipped? APR dealer just opened within walking distance of my home...

It will help. The DSG is smarter than a manual and should disengage the clutch before the plates glaze.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
You can go over 3K. I'm IS38 5150 also. As long as you dont spike & hold full boost above 3'rd you are good. Since I'm assuming we are on the same base map.

I wish I could. I have data logs corroborating the fact I’m experiencing clutch slip below 3k. It’s exacerbated even more going up to redline, obviously.

Granted there will be random times when I shift ~3k or a little more and it’s fine. Most times, there’s slip.

I’m IS38. See post above about my data logs corroborating the clutch slip.

Obviously I don’t enjoy not getting to drive my car the way I want to and should be able to; hence my eagerness for COBB to release this TCU tune.

Thankfully the majority of my driving is highway, so it’s not terrible to stay in my target RPM zone. Also, as mentioned by another, engine load plays a big part of it in addition to rpm. It’s a balance.