GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb tuning yay or nay?

CTaiani

Ready to race!
It's seeming like cobb protune is the route to go, my question is if the crackle map can be toned down so it's not overkill and doesn't sound so fake... even though it is [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Zx2man thanks for the PG version of my comment. Haha I went full potato but felt I had to do it.

CTaiani, yes crackle map is tunable to be less obnoxious. I don't think anyone is running the loud setup anymore but me and it was just for fun to see how loud it was. Also mine no longer does it for both downshift and decel now only when I downshift it'll do it for 1 full sec if I'm above a certain specified rpm.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CTaiani

Ready to race!
Zx2man thanks for the PG version of my comment. Haha I went full potato but felt I had to do it.

CTaiani, yes crackle map is tunable to be less obnoxious. I don't think anyone is running the loud setup anymore but me and it was just for fun to see how loud it was. Also mine no longer does it for both downshift and decel now only when I downshift it'll do it for 1 full sec if I'm above a certain specified rpm.

That's sick, I wouldn't mind if it did for a second or so on the decel, but downshifting pops are cool too... currently waiting for 5150 to email me back so I can buy this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Have to respectfully disagree and respond as there are several fallacies here. Answers are in blue.

Hype hype hype. It is a gift to Mk6/7 VW community. Yes he and I don't agree but he will be back lol. I'm sure of it because what he desires will be available soon and since he has already tasted Cobb he knows the power it allows you to unleash. It's more than a simple backend flash.. it turns the ECU into a sandbox.
Never said it wasn't. It didn't have at-home tuning capability, that was the simple decision for me. Due to this, for someone that likes going to track as much as I do, it didn't make sense to run a platform that didn't allow this.

Maestro is having issues and it is very different approach then Cobb. There is a dude who spent hours on dyno trying to tune Maestro all to lose a big amount of power(40whp) over the ED Stage 2 file non adjustable file.
Clearly an uneducated user, whoever you speak of. The two Maestro beta testers who were Sam and Seth both went stupid fast. Seth is only behind a completely gutted Wolf with only seats out and Sam went 11.7 @ 120mph full weight A3 IS38 (which is heavier than a Golf R). Anyone who doesn't respect those numbers is a blind hater. You will be lucky to trap over that Nelson, you and I know that. Best of luck though, no hate here.

COBB users will be able to soon control the ECU just like Maestro as a customer. I will be using AccessTunerRace(ATR) software from Cobb shortly after R release and I and others will scrutinize it to be better for you whwn it's releaesed. If the tuner unlocks their tune you can modify it but I doubt any tuner would do that. Or you can use the already supplied OTS maps and modify from those.
Great, glad this is going to be available to users. When it comes out, i'll make an educated decision. As it stands, it isn't available though.

Also all the fast APR and ED cars are stacked with JB4 or running meth or use 100+ octance. Stacking is not the solution you want if you have an affordable reliable way to get maximum power via Cobb.
Come on now, it is a FACT that ethanol provides MUCH more power than straight race gas. The cylinder cooling properties and high octane rating give it a massive advantage. 100 octane race gas is WAY LESS of an advantage than e30-e40, plain and simple - not a discussion, it's a fact. Ask any tuner who owns a dyno. Also, it is starting to sound like excuses when you start saying that running some windshield washer fluid or 5-6 more octane is the reason the cars are fast. There are cars running pump that are moving too without any stack. Check the list.

There is no debate. There is no fanboyism. There are only facts and results. If you can efficiently achieve maximum results with 1 system on pump/ethanol than that is the way you want to start/go period. Introducing a piggy back stack and meth complicates the setup and fooling a very complicated ecu is asinine to the point you can't log the setup fully/properly.
Sam did 120mph on pump when everyone else was running 114-118mph in a lighter R on ethanol. Facts are facts. Maestro has only been out ONE WEEK besides those two. Doesn't sound like facts to me,
sounds like mudslinging. Completely unnecessary.

There are over 45 things you can log simultaneously to tune with Cobb but over 100 things you could choose to log and a very high refresh rate like nothing else on the market.
Logging with Cobb is second to none. No arguments here, they have the best integrated setup. Completely agree.

Adjustable files and Maestro tuning from ED is plagued with issues. That your own community sees it better to jb4 stack the OTS Stage 2 non adjustable file instead as a better result currently.
Completely incorrect and you shouldn't state that as a fact when it isn't. The people you speak of like the idea of running meth because they think it makes so much more power and is safer. I don't agree with this.

I hype what is meant to be hyped because in the sea of misinformation passed by all the other software vendors and their camps I have to lay it out straight in a "no chill" manner.. I support what works. Go back 8 months when I blasted Cobb I don't hold back when I need to protect people. I loved UM and they didn't produce and I blasted them too. The same should go for you guys, you need to stop supporting or talking up Chris(ED/Maestro) and force him to come correct and make more things available or address OR fix the current issues. If you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem and just as culpable if you support it.
I am just looking at what I personally wanted. Adjustability on the fly and local tuning. It made sense after I saw how fast Sam's car was. I ran the living shit out of my car on Jon's tune and got everything out of it. I have no regrets.

Wy2sl0 you left Cobb/5150 tuned and you had no issues but still left. You left because Chris Tapp of ED/Maestro extended his Maestro beta testing to you.
This is not true. I switched this past Monday and got it with the general release. Paid full price like every other user. No idea where you got this from? He saw Cobb and Jon as threat just 20 minutes from his HQ because as you said that's how close he is to you.
Now this is getting a little ridiculous and accusatory for no reason. I don't even know Chris personally. I have sent him two emails ever - one to put a kit aside for pickup and another thank you.
You would of stayed with Jon 5150 you'd be the fastest IS38 car in Canada and depending on how far you take it even rival RJs times with a little weight removal amd slicks, yet you still chose to join Chris and travel down that rabbit hole. Jon could of had you running 11.6 or better on the IS38 in a week in a 6MT car no less.
You are seriously underrating how fast RJ's time is and it is getting a little silly. No 6MT is running 126mph on a stock IS38 without nitrous. No chance in hell. ET is only a small part of the puzzle. I saw JR's cobb tune went 117mph (DSG) and the fastest 6MT is38 right now (trap speed wise) went 116mph. I don't think you know the 6MT platform that well, and in this case, I am in a better position to speak on it. This is just not the case.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a major issue trying to compare a software tune to a piggyback device. First is cost, one costs over twice as much as the other. Then there is warranty issues which you have none of with one but the other has lots (although its kinda hit or miss whether the dealership will try to deny you warranty because your flash counter is higher then it should be and what not). It really seems like its similar to comparing a GTI and an R. Each has their own benefits and downsides.

What I mean is that from my point of view (I want to keep my warranty, ethics aside), the only good option is the JB4. That being said since I have the DSG, I would really want to be able to mess with it too (why has no one released a DSG piggyback?) so Cobb or ED or Maestro (I think) makes more sense.

I plan to contact the local VAG tunning company that is just across The Bay (the only "The Bay" in the entire world is the Bay Area so don't you small as shit compared to us bay's even try to compare /s) and see what they recommend. The whole reason I went DSG (besides shitty traffic that having an upgraded clutch is torture in) was because of the MK6 DSG GTI tuned by them that my shop services and I got to give the beans too.

Not trying to turn this into a manual vs DSG debate because the real answer would be whatever you love to drive, but I've never been able to match that forced back into your seat feeling with a manual car. Mainly because you know exactly how a manual is going to react because you are in complete control of it. That is something I've realized I like more then going fast (as in speeding on public roads), hitting an on ramp and then stomping on that shit till I hit speed of traffic while being thrown back into the seat is what I love.

P.S: INeedMorePSI, you claim to not be a hack shill, but then pretty much word for word say what any hack shill would say if they were trying to promote a product. The lack of proper grammar and spelling really make what you say even less plausible. Not hating on Cobb, I love Cobb, I was heavy into Subaru's for a few years before I got the GTI.

2nd Edit: My B5 A4 was running a OTS (well bought in the junkyard then flashed ECU's) by k0mpressed (Reflect Tuning) and was purchased through Audizine. Not ebay, not a brick and mortar store, and not a website retailer (like you can go to reflect tunings website and not find the ECU I bought). The reason was because the community as a whole, said this was the best tune or mod you can do to your car hands down. Now maybe this was because there were limited options, but still everyone agreed on one thing. I bring this up because the MK7 community is split between all software tunes, but everyone swears by the JB4.

3rd Edit: Logging with Cobb is good, unless you have actual diag tools (OBD11 doesn't count). If Cobb impresses you wait till you see what VCDS or OTIS can do.

Last edited:

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
wy2sl0, good response. I like the professionalism and I agree with all of your points.
Agreed, much appreciated.

...I plan to contact the local VAG tunning company that is just across The Bay (the only "The Bay" in the entire world is the Bay Area so don't you small as shit compared to us bay's even try to compare /s) and see what they recommend. The whole reason I went DSG (besides shitty traffic that having an upgraded clutch is torture in) was because of the MK6 DSG GTI tuned by them that my shop services and I got to give the beans too.

3rd Edit: Logging with Cobb is good, unless you have actual diag tools (OBD11 doesn't count). If Cobb impresses you wait till you see what VCDS or OTIS can do.
I went DSG for city driving too vs. having a Gov. Arnold left leg (HUGE). On log tools, I thought VCDS is limited to 12 measuring values at a time? My Protuner requests 40+ parameters for logs and I see a minimum 10hz with all that. There are areas for the AP to improve though...

Last edited:

REDRUM_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea the AP as people have said is the way to go. The part about it is the customization. You don't like a particular tune, go out and buy another one. Get a new part, simply email your tuner and have your tune updated. None of this paying $1000+ for an is38 or big turbo tune nonsense. You can also sell the AP at any point and it holds it's value very well.
I'm tuned through Stratified Automotive Controls.

I have to respectfully disagree about not upgrading to the is38. I wish the GTI's came with the is38 and charged the extra $800 or whatever the difference is from the is20. I blew TWO is20's from stage 2 ED tune. I've had many tuned cars and never experienced anything like this. At least from my experience, I plan on keeping my GTI stock until I upgrade to the is38 platform and then get a cobb protune. Just my 2 cents.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I have to respectfully disagree about not upgrading to the is38. I wish the GTI's came with the is38 and charged the extra $800 or whatever the difference is from the is20. I blew TWO is20's from stage 2 ED tune. I've had many tuned cars and never experienced anything like this. At least from my experience, I plan on keeping my GTI stock until I upgrade to the is38 platform and then get a cobb protune. Just my 2 cents.

I believe Maurader was stating that the extra costs associated with migrating from an IS20 to IS38 tune with the same company are not "reasonable" :), not that the IS38 upgrade is unworthy of your hard earned $ :D

I agree with what you said though, however manufacturers have for years avoided overstepping the boundaries of their higher cost models by limiting the others (in this case, R sales by offering an IS38 GTI).

Back on topic with the Cobb logging though - VCDS is not faster than Cobb, I own(ed) both. The polling rate on the AP is second to none that I have tried (ED, VCDS, Android).

dlau9

Go Kart Champion

He is referring to the prcing model of tuning not the turbo upgrade itself i believe.

REDRUM_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
He is referring to the prcing model of tuning not the turbo upgrade itself i believe.

Perhaps! lol I just pulled a 12-hr nighter I might have read that wrong. Anyways, is20=GARBAGE

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Have to respectfully disagree and respond as there are several fallacies here. Answers are in blue.

Matt that is your opinion. Not fact. I have facts and real world experience on platform no matter who's software you're running. I live in a dense area with other MK7s with other tunes. I could make a video based on facts of Maestro vs Cobb and the comparisons are nowhere near similar. Then I could screenshot correspondences of people contacting me about it the last 2 weeks. I'm not out to put a nail in the proverbial coffin but Cobb is without a doubt the better solution right now. Chris needs to deliver. I must reiterate this for you too, Jon and I were going to try Maestro simultaneously. That's a good $1600 and people would of came over to Maestro because Jon is the real deal on this platform which means more Maestro sales and support.

On the part of beta and you working with Chris. You stated you waited for Maestro to be released yet YOU said in late July about Chris Tapp extending beta to you(because you are friends with his friend who is on this forum as 613B6, ie. your new tuner) and that you couldn't walk away from that deal. You then said the file you'll be using directly from Chris Tapp himself. I don't make these things up. When people start to lie OR forget what they say I'm there to remind them of it. Be open about things and you'll never have to worry about it. I'm very open about what I do and what I test so no smoking mirrors. You call it ego because I talk about it to people a while back in an another altercation we had. I consider it keeping people informed and having transparency.

All in all I just feel you come to a Cobb thread like a trojan horse, talk good about Jon experience and think you know how it really works since you were tuned for like a month with Cobb and then drop Maestro as an alternative that may or may not be better in the future releases, about how it allows you to make track side adjustments etc. If you're protuned properly the only track side adjustment you need to play with is the Spark based TC, tire pressures and dampener stiffness not the tune as you can make a few kill maps on the road that work for the dragstrip. Ever ask yourself why after all these years Maestro is not the way? To me it should be, I ask others and myself all the time and yet after owning Mk1 to MK7, I still don't know the answer. Somehow TPTB keep benchflash market control, obfuscate, allow misinformation to spread about so the gravy train keeps going.

Lastly JR and Justin have not really pushed the platform so using Terry's IS38 car as an example is stupid. 117mph is with throttle cut and radials, next run was 3mph faster in the 1/8 with throttle cut again. Later that week JR didn't know what was happening. I passed on some information to him, no more throttle cut supposedly and that was the last time I heard from him and have not heard of Terry going back to track since. Currently I trap higher than Terry at the moment LOL on a stock IS20.. once slicks come I'll update you.

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a major issue trying to compare a software tune to a piggyback device. First is cost, one costs over twice as much as the other. Then there is warranty issues which you have none of with one but the other has lots (although its kinda hit or miss whether the dealership will try to deny you warranty because your flash counter is higher then it should be and what not). It really seems like its similar to comparing a GTI and an R. Each has their own benefits and downsides.

What I mean is that from my point of view (I want to keep my warranty, ethics aside), the only good option is the JB4. That being said since I have the DSG, I would really want to be able to mess with it too (why has no one released a DSG piggyback?) so Cobb or ED or Maestro (I think) makes more sense.

I plan to contact the local VAG tunning company that is just across The Bay (the only "The Bay" in the entire world is the Bay Area so don't you small as shit compared to us bay's even try to compare /s) and see what they recommend. The whole reason I went DSG (besides shitty traffic that having an upgraded clutch is torture in) was because of the MK6 DSG GTI tuned by them that my shop services and I got to give the beans too.

Not trying to turn this into a manual vs DSG debate because the real answer would be whatever you love to drive, but I've never been able to match that forced back into your seat feeling with a manual car. Mainly because you know exactly how a manual is going to react because you are in complete control of it. That is something I've realized I like more then going fast (as in speeding on public roads), hitting an on ramp and then stomping on that shit till I hit speed of traffic while being thrown back into the seat is what I love.

P.S: INeedMorePSI, you claim to not be a hack shill, but then pretty much word for word say what any hack shill would say if they were trying to promote a product. The lack of proper grammar and spelling really make what you say even less plausible. Not hating on Cobb, I love Cobb, I was heavy into Subaru's for a few years before I got the GTI.

2nd Edit: My B5 A4 was running a OTS (well bought in the junkyard then flashed ECU's) by k0mpressed (Reflect Tuning) and was purchased through Audizine. Not ebay, not a brick and mortar store, and not a website retailer (like you can go to reflect tunings website and not find the ECU I bought). The reason was because the community as a whole, said this was the best tune or mod you can do to your car hands down. Now maybe this was because there were limited options, but still everyone agreed on one thing. I bring this up because the MK7 community is split between all software tunes, but everyone swears by the JB4.

Wrath - I don't know what to say to your comments. Other than you are delusional thinking JB4 is better in any way. Or if it's truly undetected, which it is not due to max values stored. Now think what if Cobb could restore last known state of flash counter, opened ports, and max values before the marrying process happened? Would that be truly undetectable? Does JB4 advertise beating the manufacture, so why does Cobb have to? So until you fully know how Cobb works and communicates in the ECU you can't talk about it or listen to others who talk about it negatively with no real world COBB MQB experience.

You can label a shill or hack. I'm a hardcore enthusiast who promotes what works if something else comes out that is better I will give what I have a short time(3 month period) before I start making choices. I don't take the words in this established status quo of a community as truth, I find out facts on my own. A year from now there could be a better solution and I will be on Cobb with others saying hey we need this lets make it happen and what do we need to do and get it done.. or not. Blind loyalty/allegiance is not what I'm about, it's a lonely world where I am.

Touching on the logging bit you went on about. I'm 35minutes away from Rosstech. I have unlimited VCDS and have used it for over a decade. I have OBDEleven as well. I find myself using OBDEleven and Cobb on this platform and rarely touch VCDS. Also VCDS is crap compared to Cobb performance/tuning logging capabilities. I don't have to go into details about this, those who know agree like Matt(Wy2sl0) have seen how easy it is and the depth of information it logs.

wy2sl0, good response. I like the professionalism and I agree with all of your points.

Not trying to come at you but because your comment is going to be seen by others the professionalism and points don't mean anything if they're invalid. Neither of these 2 have intimate knowledge or dealings with MQB Cobb platform and are trying to persuade someone into an unfinished product or another product that has lots of limitation in comparison and fools the factory ECU to work.

If we were to get back on topic. The simple answer anyone should reply to the OP is Yes. If No then state why you feel it is No but don't go on about false about false warranty issues or double the cost pitch or say it even lacks performance.

Who else allowing innovation like this? DSG is next stay tuned. https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-tuning-for-porsche-pdk-transmissions/

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Not trying to come at you but because your comment is going to be seen by others the professionalism and points don't mean anything if they're invalid. Neither of these 2 have intimate knowledge or dealings with MQB Cobb platform and are trying to persuade someone into an unfinished product or another product that has lots of limitation in comparison and fools the factory ECU to work.

If we were to get back on topic. The simple answer anyone should reply to the OP is Yes. If No then state why you feel it is No but don't go on about false about false warranty issues or double the cost pitch or say it even lacks performance.

Who else allowing innovation like this? DSG is next stay tuned. https://www.cobbtuning.com/accessport-tuning-for-porsche-pdk-transmissions/

Do you have a IS38 or still on the stock IS20? Also are you from California?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

I don't know why you feel the need to aggressively go on offense because someone has a differing opinion than you - and one that is supported by empirical evidence. I posted legitimate facts (including last nights official IS20 trap speed record, using Maestro) and you continuously say it is "terrible". I told you I have no brand loyalty and Maestro was simply the best option - why attack me over it? The idea that tinkering is not needed if you have "the right tune" is actually a fallacy for a few reasons. The Cobb protuners are generally doing E-tunes. There is no ability for them to dyno your car and make adjustments as to what is best. Barely anyone has gone to the track either to test timing vs boost vs afr differences. What if it is a cool day and I can run 2-3 degrees more timing? 1mph trap speed? At this point in time, Maestro made sense for me.

I presented my opinion so others can make an educated decision. Basically saying I have no leg to stand on in terms of what I am presenting with my experience and saying you are the man to speak "the truth" is not in good faith.

From the JB4 perspective, your warranty stays in tact. There hasn't been a denied warranty from some "phantom" values yet, that is pure propaganda spread from god knows where. The service the JB4 (George) offers is also second to none. It is a legitimate option for someone considering using "OTS" Cobb maps. I mean, I went 12.9 at almost 110mph on a JB1 with a DP.