GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me in or out of a JB4 unit for an IS20 swap.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
I am getting an IS20 turbo in the very near future. I currently have a JB1 as my only engine mod.

The plan was to sell the JB1 and get APR IS20 software, until Arin informed me that there isn't a file for my box code as of yet.

So my options are...

A. Sit on an IS20 turbo until (if) APR releases the software for my box code.
B. Upgrade my JB1 unit to a JB4 and run it with that.

It seems like everyone with an IS20 and a JB4 ALSO has a tune to go with it. That seems like a kick to the nuts to the JB4, almost as if it isn't qualified to get the most out of an IS20 like a straight up tune can. I have zero interest in going this route.

Someone convince me that a JB4 by itself is all I need to get the full benefits out of an IS20 turbo. Show me numbers, tell me stories, whatever.

The only positives I'm seeing to go the JB4 route, is that an upgrade from a JB1 is only $125 and it is available now, so I could install the IS20 as soon as I receive it. Where as the IS20 APR software isn't available at the moment and if I know them, it may never be.

I have the IS20 and JB4 only. Stock downpipe and intercooler and everything else as well. I ran a 13.464 1/4 mile on my second pass at the track ever with that car. Didn't change maps or try to tune for more. I ran the same map that I last ran with the stock turbo as the IS20 that I bought only had 600 miles on it from the original owner and I only had about a 100 miles on it myself so I had not started playing with it yet. On that track run my 60 foot was 2.042 and 0 to 60mph was 4.962 measured with my nephews race logger. I have not been back to the track yet but with his race logger I have the 0 to 60 down to 4.354. JB4 works just fine lol.

BTW, as my nephew who is a ford mechanic pointed out, my Sportwagen is faster than a Focus RS and a Taurus SHO. It is also faster than a Stock manual Golf R.

Last edited:

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
On that track run my 60 foot was 2.042 and 0 to 60mph was 4.962 measured with my nephews race logger. I have not been back to the track yet but with his race logger I have the 0 to 60 down to 4.354. JB4 works just fine lol.

BTW, as my nephew who is a ford mechanic pointed out, my Sportwagen is faster than a Focus RS and a Taurus SHO. It is also faster than a Stock manual Golf R.

0-60 4.354s with is20 and Jb4 ?? I wish my Alltrack pass 60k miles right now so I don't need to worry about the warranty anymore:eek:

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
0-60 4.354s with is20 and Jb4 ?? I wish my Alltrack pass 60k miles right now so I don't need to worry about the warranty anymore:eek:

I was able to get 5.013 and right around there consistently with my JB4 and stock turbo with a best of 4.996 on a cool day. You don't have to wait for the JB4.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I have the IS20 and JB4 only. Stock downpipe and intercooler and everything else as well. I ran a 13.464 1/4 mile on my second pass at the track ever with that car. Didn't change maps or try to tune for more. I ran the same map that I last ran with the stock turbo as the IS20 that I bought only had 600 miles on it from the original owner and I only had about a 100 miles on it myself so I had not started playing with it yet. On that track run my 60 foot was 2.042 and 0 to 60mph was 4.962 measured with my nephews race logger. I have not been back to the track yet but with his race logger I have the 0 to 60 down to 4.354. JB4 works just fine lol.

Very impressive. What were you running for fuel?

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I don't see myself blending fuels at every fill up, nor do I believe E85 is even available where I live. The car is a daily driver and would run straight 91 octane.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Since I have a IS20 and CTS downpipe sitting in my basement now, what baseline map should I set my map6 to when I first install this crap?

It won't be until maybe late august cuz I am still waiting on my warranty work to finish up (they had to order backordered parts, still waiting :( )

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Since I have a IS20 and CTS downpipe sitting in my basement now, what baseline map should I set my map6 to when I first install this crap? It won't be until maybe late august cuz I am still waiting on my warranty work to finish up (they had to order backordered parts, still waiting :( )

When I installed the IS20 and DP, I ran the same map 6 I was using on the IS12 (max 16-17 taper down to 11-12 PSI at redline). At first you will just want to baby it, check for leaks, codes etc. After you are sure everything is working OK and your fluids levels are stable, then you can start bumping things up. You could also set to map 0 (stock) or map 1 (stage 1) and test it that way as well.

Note: this is assuming you don't stack the JB4 over a flash tune. You probably know this, but I just wanted to further qualify in case someone else reads this later on ;).

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

That's legitamatly fast.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
At this point I think the ratio of stacked IS20 to JB4 only is 1:30. The IS20's are going for cheap now and most guys are going this route instead of adding small mods to the cars.

Power wise I reckon JB4 only can match any stacked car from what we have seen.

Risk wise I reckon guys have run the cars long enough now and its proven. The stacked car broke on the first day he got flashed and it was unfortunate as we could have seen if there was any power advantage with stacking as he had run a dyno with the JB4 only.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
That's legitamatly fast.

Its definitely not too bad, it surprises the hell out some people when they try to pass me. Especially SRT8 chargers and Challengers of the 480hp variety(they are very heavy). LOL, they just can't believe it when they barely pull on me but not enough to cut me off like they planned, but my favorite is the look on thier face when I know they are going to try to beat me off the light cause their lane ends in 50' because I can slap a 2 car gap on them from the light with the 4motion. lol

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Its definitely not too bad, it surprises the hell out some people when they try to pass me. Especially SRT8 chargers and Challengers of the 480hp variety(they are very heavy). LOL, they just can't believe it when they barely pull on me but not enough to cut me off like they planned, but my favorite is the look on thier face when I know they are going to try to beat me off the light cause their lane ends in 50' because I can slap a 2 car gap on them from the light with the 4motion. lol

I was thinking of a mustang gt for my next car in a few years. But it's hard to go backward in power/weight. :)

RWD, and completely linear throttle response are a special kind of thing though. I just wish all those cars would lose 400-600 pounds. Camaro, Mustang, Dodge.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
At this point I think the ratio of stacked IS20 to JB4 only is 1:30. The IS20's are going for cheap now and most guys are going this route instead of adding small mods to the cars.

Power wise I reckon JB4 only can match any stacked car from what we have seen.

Risk wise I reckon guys have run the cars long enough now and its proven. The stacked car broke on the first day he got flashed and it was unfortunate as we could have seen if there was any power advantage with stacking as he had run a dyno with the JB4 only.

Do you think JB4 Will be able to do is38 in the future? Maybe with low press fuel pump upgrade and/or GTI injectors.