GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 1.8T ECU, TCU, IS20, IS38 Upgrades - Up to 350+ HP Now Available!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
After doing this job for 9 years, I've learned many customers are quite naive to some of the inherent dangers of stacking and running the wrong fuels. Many believe everything will be fine and that the ECU will simply "adapt." Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. I think it's important to educate customers and let them know they need to at least be careful.

Everything is fine and the ECU does adapt. This one isolated incident did not happen because of the wrong fuels or the ECU not adapting. The user was in great error and ran a completely wrong map on top of a tune. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it all. He already had a JB4 and IS20 on his fwd golf. You guys were fully aware of this and still installed a stage 2 IS12 flash tune on his car. It was his error for not setting it to map 4 properly or setting up his map 6 properly, but you guys had zero issues with putting your stage 2 flash on a fwd 1.8 with an IS20 on it. Tell me again how it's not just about making money

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Everything is fine and the ECU does adapt. This one isolated incident did not happen because of the wrong fuels or the ECU not adapting. The user was in great error and ran a completely wrong map on top of a tune. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it all. He already had a JB4 and IS20 on his fwd golf. You guys were fully aware of this and still installed a stage 2 IS12 flash tune on his car. It was his error for not setting it to map 4 properly or setting up his map 6 properly, but you guys had zero issues with putting your stage 2 flash on a fwd 1.8 with an IS20 on it. Tell me again how it's not just about making money

Well actually I have to agree with Arin about this. If someone is not fully educated about how to properly setup a stacked tune, they might run a jb1/4 on map 1 or 2 on top of the stack without knowing it or without knowing the dangers. As Arin said this would very quickly result in a damaged engine. The ECU can adapt for different weather conditions, hardware conditions, etc... but it can't adapt for something external forcing more boost than the engine can handle into it.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Well actually I have to agree with Arin about this. If someone is not fully educated about how to properly setup a stacked tune, they might run a jb1/4 on map 1 or 2 on top of the stack without knowing it or without knowing the dangers. As Arin said this would very quickly result in a damaged engine. The ECU can adapt for different weather conditions, hardware conditions, etc... but it can't adapt for something external forcing more boost than the engine can handle into it.

He's using it as an example of what happens with stacking when it is clearly not. The guy ran an absurd map on the stage 2. Also, you don't see any issue with them flashing a stage 2 IS12 map on a car that has an IS20 and JB4 on it already. Then go on to say they don't advise any of it and point out the dangers

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I would say that is not the definitive example of someone who is on here.
Most who are on here are here for a reason and that's to research and learn before stepping off the pier.
I think you do have th be knowledgeable to tune with a JB4 especially when experimenting beyond what the 95th percentile does with it. And this only with George's assistance.

The blown engine is not APR's fault. It is the owner's fault for not confirming the correct map before flashing and running the car. That is user error pure and simple. That is what Arin is warning against.

Now is he going a little overboard with "the sky is falling"...yeah. But at the end of the day, he is paid by APR and has to put HIS company in the best possible light.

You guys have been running jb4 for a while with no ill effects, but then again I see your thoroughness, constant contact with George and making small incremental changes.

Have to agree with others here though, other than transmission, engines are identical between awd and fwd. Just give us the damn tune already.

Wonder how etuners got their is38 1.8 to 400hp and can they remote tune?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
not being sarcastic, but what do we 1.8t folks do with all this power anyway? I have trouble with wheel spin running stock.

again, don't get me wrong and :respect: for your innovation. Guessing if I tune, it will be pretty basic and avoid bolting on much hardware.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
not being sarcastic, but what do we 1.8t folks do with all this power anyway? I have trouble with wheel spin running stock.

again, don't get me wrong and :respect: for your innovation. Guessing if I tune, it will be pretty basic and avoid bolting on much hardware.

First mods on our cars need to absolutely be tires. I am running 230HP/320TQ (APR Stage 2) on some stock VW Goal 17" wheels with 225/45/17 PSS tires. Unless I absolutely floor it through 1st, the car gets away beautifully. Looking at APRs is20 tune for the all tracks, since the torque doesn't increase much, I'm sure it's very drivable.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
First mods on our cars need to absolutely be tires. I am running 230HP/320TQ (APR Stage 2) on some stock VW Goal 17" wheels with 225/45/17 PSS tires. Unless I absolutely floor it through 1st, the car gets away beautifully. Looking at APRs is20 tune for the all tracks, since the torque doesn't increase much, I'm sure it's very drivable.
that sounds reasonable straight line. In my case, I'm probably not going wider than 205width (but 200 tw)

I do some autocross and don't place a big value on DD power. Nice to have but not looking for attention. Find the apr interesting for the left foot braking and turn-key aspect.

I'd probably prefer an lsd over a tune but don't see that happening for our 1.8s.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
that sounds reasonable straight line. In my case, I'm probably not going wider than 205width (but 200 tw)

I do some autocross and don't place a big value on DD power. Nice to have but not looking for attention. Find the apr interesting for the left foot braking and turn-key aspect.

I'd probably prefer an lsd over a tune but don't see that happening for our 1.8s.

There is an lsd for our cars. The mk6 Wavetrac lsd works in mk7. This is based on what I've read, so would definitely confirm.

That being said, no reason not to g 225-245, with 235 being a happy medium. 235 tend to be harder to find and slightly more expensive than other 2 sizes.

I think 300hp is perfectly reasonable in this car. By no means overwhelms wider tires.
I'm just APR stage 1 (never dynoed but probably around 240) and rarely lose traction in 1st whereas with stock tires, 2nd would be spinning.

It's just night and day from stock and that's a far cry from these guys with ~300.

You will love it. Especially only 2 lane roads where passing areas are few.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

Tires. I have 8" ultra perf tires. When it's over 70 degrees I can put the power down very well. Under 70 takes more throttle control and "feel" for the powerband. I find the is20 tuned is easier to control than tuned is12. More top end and less low end spike.

Can you blindly punch it and go? No. Can you blindly punch and go in a mustang gt? No.

It's great and I will never go back unless I become homeless.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

tires and wheels. I went almost 1.5" wider on wheels over stock, and with stickier rubber and that eliminated a lot of my wheelspin. I only went to performance all seasons not even a sticky summer tire, that would be even better. However I have no idea what will happen when I turn it up with the IS20 turbo I bought and maybe water-meth injection. 235 width I think. The IS20 might make a little less low end power so actually be easier to launch.

Last edited:

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
tires and wheels. I went almost 1.5" wider on wheels over stock, and with stickier rubber and that eliminated a lot of my wheelspin. I only went to performance all seasons not even a sticky summer tire, that would be even better. However I have no idea what will happen when I turn it up with the IS20 turbo I bought and maybe water-meth injection. 235 width I think. The IS20 might make a little less low end power so actually be easier to launch.

I never actually ran the stock tires. Went straight to 225-45-17 conti pro contacts on this car. I could still roast the tires with traction control off through 1st if i floored it. Since i live in Florida, i am lucky enough to be able to run the PSS year round, and they have proved worth it in every regard. And if im not mistaken, 1st gear makes hardly any boost, so that is hardly turbo dependent.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I never actually ran the stock tires. Went straight to 225-45-17 conti pro contacts on this car. I could still roast the tires with traction control off through 1st if i floored it. Since i live in Florida, i am lucky enough to be able to run the PSS year round, and they have proved worth it in every regard. And if im not mistaken, 1st gear makes hardly any boost, so that is hardly turbo dependent.

The Continental pro contact actually is the stock tire on the MK7 Golf, haha. Just in 195 and 205 I believe.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
You can in a 4motion. Sorry, couldn't resist. lol

That's it. I'm going to drive to Michigan and do reverse donuts on your front lawn. You may have to tow me out after though. Its been a wet year.

Attachments

• mqdefault.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 353

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
That's it. I'm going to drive to Michigan and do reverse donuts on your front lawn. You may have to tow me out after though. Its been a wet year.

Lol. Go for it. I just had a house fire so it can't get any worse looking. [emoji16]but if you had 4mo, you could do real donuts. Lol just saying. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk