GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canceling service contract?

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
When I purchased my wife's GTI, the dealer sold me on the first three services for $500.

After doing some research, Ive found that that is basically $170 for an oil change.

My dealer does oil changes for $59 with a $20 rebate.

I called VW today and asked if I could cancel my service contract and they said it had to be canceled withig 30 days of purchase. I swear I remember reading it could be canceled at anytime, getting the credit of the remaining.

Should I pursue this farther, or are they doing more then an oil change at this 10k oil change interval?

Or am I just up creek without a paddle?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
As of my memory, Extended warranty could be cancelled anytime for a refund. I am not sure about the Maintenance package.

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
When I purchased my wife's GTI, the dealer sold me on the first three services for $500.

After doing some research, Ive found that that is basically $170 for an oil change.

My dealer does oil changes for $59 with a $20 rebate.

I called VW today and asked if I could cancel my service contract and they said it had to be canceled withig 30 days of purchase. I swear I remember reading it could be canceled at anytime, getting the credit of the remaining.

Should I pursue this farther, or are they doing more then an oil change at this 10k oil change interval?

Or am I just up creek without a paddle?

Mine's is cancellable with pro-rated refunded.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I'm assuming you haven't used any services yet. On my contract it says I can cancel for a full refund and no fees if it's cancelled within 60 days. There is a $14.95 fee for cancelling any time after that for a full refund.

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
I'm assuming you haven't used any services yet. On my contract it says I can cancel for a full refund and no fees if it's cancelled within 60 days. There is a $14.95 fee for cancelling any time after that for a full refund.

Thats kind of what I remember reading. Guess I need to pull up the file at home.

We havent used any of the serivce, and the car is due for an oil change. My wife was setting up an appt and it said the fee, which is prepaid, was $170.

Blew my mind and reminded me I needed to cancel it.

wiredbean

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious to know if they will also reimburse the taxes you paid for the maintenance package. I made a bad choice for wheel and tire package and cancelled 4 days after. Took forever and they made me work for it , urrr, and they would not reimburse the taxes. I spoke with so many people and was just stonewalled. Saying because I was financed blablabla . It still makes no sense to me. But I did give up in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
If my memory serves me right, they told me $700 for my first 3 services. I asked what was involved, salesman looked at me with a blank stare. Asked the service guy and found out it was basically 3 oil changes/tire rotations/1 cabin filter....wow, no thanks.

They're so sneaky. For those with the DSG, the fluid needs to be changed at 40K which is conveniently the 4th service interval aka not covered under their maintenance package. If I was you, even if the dealer whines about not being able to cancel it, I would push for it. Tell them that's the only hope they have of keeping you as a repeat customer. Talk to the GM if you have to. Hell, call VW customer care if they insist on no refund.

Worst that will happen is you will be stuck where you are now with a bill for 3 overpriced oil changes. Best of luck.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I cancelled the extended warranty on my '13 TDI, just got the remainder credited to my principal payment. Not sure on maintenance tho, I'd call VWoA

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I just had a live chat with VW customer care because I want to cancel my VW Care 3-year service contract too. The representative asked me what state I'm in, so I'm guessing it depends on which state you bought your car from. I'm in California, and the rep said I can cancel it through the dealer.

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
Well I spoke with VW and they said I can not cancel it. So basically the dealer over charged me the advertised rate.

VW advertises $425 for 3 years, and $482 for 5 years. Dealer charged me $500.

My fault for accepting, but I do feel like I got scammed since the GTI only needs oil changed for the first 3 services, and my local dealers are doing them for $50-70 for the GTI.

maTTQ

I know this won't make you feel better but ...

I just went to my dealer yesterday for an oil & filter change w/the coupon in hand for $20 off the next one. Service Mgr looked at me, looked at the car, and said "Didn't you buy this here?" Yep. "1st one's free."

Now I don't feel like such a dummy for not knowing that. Apparently not the case everywhere.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just went to my dealer yesterday for an oil & filter change w/the coupon in hand for $20 off the next one. Service Mgr looked at me, looked at the car, and said "Didn't you buy this here?" Yep. "1st one's free."

Now I don't feel like such a dummy for not knowing that. Apparently not the case everywhere.

Must be specific to your dealer as VW took away the free ones after 2015. Not a bad idea though to garner goodwill with clients. Oil changes are cheap and easy.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Must be specific to your dealer as VW took away the free ones after 2015. Not a bad idea though to garner goodwill with clients. Oil changes are cheap and easy.

Definitely a good idea on the dealer's part. I was a couple months outside of the free one for my 2015 (I think they give you 12 months to use it), but the service manager covered it anyway knowing that he'd have a better chance at a repeat customer. I'm glad they did since they're only a mile away from home haha.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Well I spoke with VW and they said I can not cancel it. So basically the dealer over charged me the advertised rate.

VW advertises $425 for 3 years, and $482 for 5 years. Dealer charged me $500.

My fault for accepting, but I do feel like I got scammed since the GTI only needs oil changed for the first 3 services, and my local dealers are doing them for $50-70 for the GTI.
Hm interesting. Did they ask anything about where (what state) you bought your car? In my previous post, I said that the VW chat rep said I can cancel through the dealer.

Welp... At least next time I need to buy a car, I'll remember to not get any of the optional stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk