GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuel design springs defect?

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
How is a rubber sheath supposed to hold up in the long term? Won't that just rub through...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been on there 8 months now with no issues,and seems to be holding up

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Way better than putting hoses on them. The second solution is to send them back. ;)

Lol thats what I did and ED sent brand new ones back with those already on

Why would I touch anything there Design flaw and they do the job

You crack me up hahaha[emoji41]

I didn't see any pics of your springs. I did see Mustache's pic.
In HIS case the sharp edge would still touch the neighboured
winding and DESTROY any kind of hose. So it would be simply
pointless.
You don't need to believe me, you know it better anyway even
though I bet bet you're lacking any technical background.
When I read one of your contributions for the very first time I
instantly knew you're a particularly smart guy.

btw,
we have to stop saying: "How stupid can you be?" Too many
people are seeing that as a challenge.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
In my post I put 2 different picks one with the old springs and one with new ones they have the same marks just not as bad
That was ED's solution I guess

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
So Emmanuel designs states I have the newest revision spring and have sold hundreds without a problem.

They asked if my bumpstops have been trimmed and if they were that would be the cause(their diy says to trim them).
They then said it must be a blow shock as it would take 90% compression to have those coils touch???

I finally have them sending me a new one but they said it probably wouldn't help since their springs are cnc wound and there no variations!?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Update:
Emmanuel designs sent me 2 new front springs. They look 100% identical to the "defective" spring.

I swapped them out along with new mounts, bearings and bolts. No noise yet but they haven't settled yet. We will see.

Here are pics of the springs after only 3k miles. Paint flaking off and binding marks. I have 80k miles on my Koni coils for my mk6 and they look better. I'm shocked

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Drivers side was top. Top coil was rubbing on the inside of the coil under it.
Passenger side was bottom coil
That's crazy! I wonder how many people might have the same issue but not realizing it since they haven't taken theirs apart. I have ED springs as well with 16k miles since installed. I had noise when turning at low speeds since day one. To date haven't figured out what it is. I would love to see what my springs look like but don't feel like taking everything apart as the installation process is such a PITA and buying new hardware again. Curious if asking on the Facebook in MK7 International group might yield more responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That's crazy! I wonder how many people might have the same issue but not realizing it since they haven't taken theirs apart. I have ED springs as well with 16k miles since installed. I had noise when turning at low speeds since day one. To date haven't figured out what it is. I would love to see what my springs look like but don't feel like taking everything apart as the installation process is such a PITA and buying new hardware again. Curious if asking on the Facebook in MK7 International group might yield more responses.

His case is special, and he only took his apart because he had a noise if I read correctly. I wouldn't expect your springs to have abnormal wear if you checked them and you aren't experiencing noise like OP.

If you have a noise while turning the wheel that is typically related to the strut bearing.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
His case is special, and he only took his apart because he had a noise if I read correctly. I wouldn't expect your springs to have abnormal wear if you checked them and you aren't experiencing noise like OP.

If you have a noise while turning the wheel that is typically related to the strut bearing.
I haven't taken mine apart since installing them. And I do have noise when turning at low speeds since day 1. So can't confirm whether or not I have similar abnormal wear.

Update:
Emmanuel designs sent me 2 new front springs. They look 100% identical to the "defective" spring.

I swapped them out along with new mounts, bearings and bolts. No noise yet but they haven't settled yet. We will see.

Here are pics of the springs after only 3k miles. Paint flaking off and binding marks. I have 80k miles on my Koni coils for my mk6 and they look better. I'm shocked

We sent you an email to see if we can get this spring back to test. The marks on the top are very odd, as the strut is designed to rotate with the bearing perch, but looks like it was sliding against it (almost as if the bearing was not rotating at all). We have a few springs floating around with many more miles that aren't consistent with that wear pattern, so it would be nice to check that spring on our bench.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
OP, did you reuse the original struts? How many miles on them? I cut the bump stops as well as per ED's video tutorial. I really hope I don't have the same issue as I really like how they ride and handle. The only other linear springs are DG but that means more money to be spent and installation process all over again.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
OP, did you reuse the original struts? How many miles on them? I cut the bump stops as well as per ED's video tutorial. I really hope I don't have the same issue as I really like how they ride and handle. The only other linear springs are DG but that means more money to be spent and installation process all over again.

Original struts with 8k in the now. About 5k at original install. Emmanual actually in email said not to cut them. We didn't from first install.