GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I saw a truckload or R's under wraps heading south on the NJ Turnpike last night at around6 PM.

B5AudiS4

Agreed Stig. I put a deposit on a Lapiz Blue DSG on Friday (pending having them find me a late build with opening armrest) and won’t have VW buyback my 2010 Golf TDI (with opening, sliding and ratcheting armrest that I adjust quite often) until they find one. It’s not like I’m out of a car as I can drive this thing until the end of the year with no penalty for mileage or anything and receive the same amount. I drove a Gray DSG on Friday and absolutely loved it, aside from the armrest (and start/Stop system which I’d disable). A new armrest is nearly $400 and I don’t really feel like ripping apart a new car and risking rattles, let alone having something go wrong with the console that wouldn’t be covered by the generous 6 year/72k warranty due to non-original parts.

Cypresser

Sold my GTI in February and picked up my R saturday. Got a pretty good deal on my R at $39,999 (sticker was $42,055). Coming from a 6spd. GTI I'm liking the DSG so far.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
How much change does the oryx white make in the paint when moving around with the Pearl and metallic Etc?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cypresser

I think you need to check your tone and language Sir. Don’t think you ever have the right to call forum members on here incompetent. Firstly, if you read my posts, I have never professed to be a subject matter expert in this stuff. Don’t be fooled by my screenname. This is a forum that I use to ask questions, gain knowledge from those that have the subject matter expertise, and provide my opinion in instances where it may help others.

As it relates to factory orders, I am only going on what three different dealerships have told me. I have no idea as to whether or not it is possible or not possible as I have not personally ever placed a factory order with VW. They may in fact very well be lying to me. That just validates why I use this forum, so that it gives me an extra data point to get educated. If one cannot place a factory order in the US, then please educate me in a civilized fashion as opposed to name calling and using CAPS lock.

Now, as it relates to the center console being locked I will say this. Ignorance can be a roaring giant if not mowed down swiftly by that king slayer called FACT.
Fact - VW Rs manufactured subsequent to mid-November use a different console part with different part #
Fact – Other posters have confirmed unlocked consoles for the above referenced parts
It is no crime to want to know everything, but it is madness or absolute ignorance to expect to know it all. To deny facts, is to combine ignorance with arrogance and that will only lead to heartache. It can be fixed with honesty and introspection and to acknowledge the situation is a sign of strength because it allows for the fixing to start.
Every single dealer that I've talked to I've talked to a lot nationwide has told me that I can factory order. So it makes me wonder if the dealers that are saying that they can't are lying because they want to get rid of their early stock. And I used to sell cars we used to factory order shit all the time, unless this is a new thing that I've never heard of....

cb1111

The incompetence here is unbelievable. You CANNOT factory order in the USA. You get to stick your hand into the candy bag and get what you can grab. As long as it's your color and transmission choice who gives a crap. Oh no your center console is locked? Go complain to the DOT who MANDATES it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Where does DOT mandate the "locked console"? Please cite the specific part of the CFR with the exact line that requires this.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Agreed Stig. I put a deposit on a Lapiz Blue DSG on Friday (pending having them find me a late build with opening armrest) and won’t have VW buyback my 2010 Golf TDI (with opening, sliding and ratcheting armrest that I adjust quite often) until they find one. It’s not like I’m out of a car as I can drive this thing until the end of the year with no penalty for mileage or anything and receive the same amount. I drove a Gray DSG on Friday and absolutely loved it, aside from the armrest (and start/Stop system which I’d disable). A new armrest is nearly $400 and I don’t really feel like ripping apart a new car and risking rattles, let alone having something go wrong with the console that wouldn’t be covered by the generous 6 year/72k warranty due to non-original parts.

Totally agree. If i was shopping for an 18 R, I'd hold out for one with a proper armrest. Why couldn't they all have the new part? I hate when they change parts within the same model, that's ridiculous.

funks

Ready to race!
Well, mine is definitely here (Norcal Bay Area, got it for MSRP at Roseville VW).

Center Cubby Opens up - yey! - So far, both INDIUM GRAY / DSG Golf R's I've seen have unlocked armrest.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Center Cubby Opens up - yey! - So far, both INDIUM GRAY / DSG Golf R's I've seen have unlocked armrest.

Nice, but doesn't look like you have a charging port in there.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Nowhere does DOT mandate that the cover cannot open. It merely mandates that it must stay closed in a crash - two completely different things.

And vw decided to lock it shut instead of re-engineering it to stay closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Das auto1

Passed Driver's Ed
I don’t even use my console except for charging port for my daughters iPad. I thought it would be a deal breaker when I was looking into a Golf R now I realize I don’t even used it.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
I don’t even use my console except for charging port for my daughters iPad. I thought it would be a deal breaker when I was looking into a Golf R now I realize I don’t even used it.

I absolutely LOVE mine. I bought a tray for it on eBay for $8.90 CAD that fits in there perfectly where I keep all my change nicely sorted, my work ID badge, etc. I am OCD and it keeps all the clutter hidden and makes me extremely happy inside :D

Cypresser

"Yes and no. I'm not sure if they're doing allocation- but allocation is the same as factory order when it comes to the end user. If you place an order for a Golf R in X color with X options, whether they build that car in Germany to your spec or they find one that's already been built in Germany and has been shipped elsewhere and send it to us specifically�for�you- is the same difference.�

Short answer is that someone's giving you false info. We've placed multiple orders for our customers. There was a lockdown on submissions for a week or two but that's all.�

Best,

Benjamin Illies

Sales & Leasing

Luther Westside Volkswagen"

This is in reference to being able to factory order or not. I trust this particular individual very much.