GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I just don’t see why someone would spend over close to, or over $40k (easily that much after options and taxes and fees), when there are so many other cars that are better cars in that price range. Is the Golf R practical? Yes and no. If your a small guy/girl, and have a small family, yes, but if you’re tall or big, and have friends or family that want to ride with you, and put luggage in, it’s not. It’s not a big car. Do people buy the Golf R for its sportiness? 100% yes, and though it is sporty, and can be tuned to be really fast, it’s not a sports car by any means. You’ll get more sporti’ness out of an older EVO, but those aren’t luxurious like the Golf R is. You can buy a used GT350 for about the same price, and you’ll have a way funner car, better handling car, better sounding car, and just an all around better performing car, which is a real sports car. There’s so many other choices out there is my point, for this kind of money. If I were you, and was set on the Golf R 7.5, I would wait at least another year, so that the car is actually worth the price you would pay for it. I would say this car is worth around $30-35k, but not over $40k. That’s ridiculous. But I’m not the one buying it, so do what you want. I’m just giving my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What car in the low 40s is better in the segment? Pretty much no one is cross shopping a used gt350 and a golf r. Might as well say a new rubicon is a better choice because it’s way better off road for the same price.

bmws Audi’s and Mercedes offerings in that price range don’t have the same performance, standard features and depreciate terribly. I was just at the Chicago auto show and spent time in the civic type-r, wrx sti and focus rs and the interiors on the sti and rs are straight up garbage. Type-r is passable but still lags behind the R.

Gtis are cheaper but the depreciation between an r and a gti offsets the difference. I could sell my R tomorrow and it would have cost me less to own than a gti over the last two years simply because of resale. So what’s really the better deal?

Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
You can buy a used GT350 for about the same price, and you’ll have a way funner car, better handling car, better sounding car, and just an all around better performing car, which is a real sports car. ...I’m just giving my opinion.

Let's take your example of a GT350.

Funner car - For you.
Better sounding - To you.
Real sports car - Is the R considered a sports car?

GT350s are holding their value very well, a quick search on CarMax and $50K is the cheapest. I'm not sure I'd want one that was $40K because why is it so cheap.
I don't want a coupe.
I don't want a car with a front end so long it's in a different zip code than the driver.
I don't want a car that when I start it up in the morning every neighbor within a 4 house radius knows.
I don't want staggered tires, I'm cheap that way.
I don't want a manual.
I don't want used.

Just about every article I read says something along the lines that the R is "too cvilized" or "too refined", that it's missing the visceral feel of the Civic Type R or Focus RS, great because that's what I want. Therein lies the rub, I've applied my logic, and my opinion, on what's the best $40K car for me.

MK7.5_Roa

Ready to race!
Just about every article I read says something along the lines that the R is "too cvilized" or "too refined", that it's missing the visceral feel of the Civic Type R or Focus RS, great because that's what I want. Therein lies the rub, I've applied my logic, and my opinion, on what's the best $40K car for me.

+1 (100000)

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Also, keep in mind AWD. Those of us in the frozen wastelands, who can't afford multiple vehicles, need FWD or AWD. There's very little at the R's price point that ticks off all of these boxes. Mustangs and Camaros are great, unless you have to DD them through a Yankee winter.

Thee are numerous Audis, BMWs, and Benzes I'd rather have, but equipped with similar options they are all at least ten grand north of the R, and can easily go much higher. Also, only a few have a manual option still. Ditto for things like the Giulia (beautiful car, gonna be fifty large at least though), or any Infiniti. Starting prices for many of these makes are often listed in reviews, but the as-tested price is nearly always many thousands more.

The R is kinda weird in that even on my base model 2016 it came with stuff that you still have to pay extra for on many higher priced models, and has an interior that while subdued to be sure is arguably in the same neighborhood as cars costing a lot more. VW is sort of boxed in by the lower-end Audi offerings, as the car is pretty much the same as the S3, but they have to justify the extra ten grand or so for the Audi. That also limits I think the degree to which they will push the capabilities of the R, or its features, because go to high on the value proposition and even Audi snobs will think twice about an S3, and go to high on the price and folks like me will just say, hell, might as well get an A4 or whatever.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Also, keep in mind AWD. Those of us in the frozen wastelands, who can't afford multiple vehicles, need FWD or AWD. There's very little at the R's price point that ticks off all of these boxes. Mustangs and Camaros are great, unless you have to DD them through a Yankee winter.

Thee are numerous Audis, BMWs, and Benzes I'd rather have, but equipped with similar options they are all at least ten grand north of the R, and can easily go much higher. Also, only a few have a manual option still. Ditto for things like the Giulia (beautiful car, gonna be fifty large at least though), or any Infiniti. Starting prices for many of these makes are often listed in reviews, but the as-tested price is nearly always many thousands more.

The R is kinda weird in that even on my base model 2016 it came with stuff that you still have to pay extra for on many higher priced models, and has an interior that while subdued to be sure is arguably in the same neighborhood as cars costing a lot more. VW is sort of boxed in by the lower-end Audi offerings, as the car is pretty much the same as the S3, but they have to justify the extra ten grand or so for the Audi. That also limits I think the degree to which they will push the capabilities of the R, or its features, because go to high on the value proposition and even Audi snobs will think twice about an S3, and go to high on the price and folks like me will just say, hell, might as well get an A4 or whatever.
The R is much nicer than the S3 or RS3. Just sat in the RS3 at the auto show and it's very plastic inside and the door latch for example feels like it came out of a Kia it's so cheap feeling. After sitting in it I feel like you would have to be stupid to pay 60k+ for one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
If your a small guy/girl, and have a small family, yes, but if you’re tall or big, and have friends or family that want to ride with you, and put luggage in, it’s not.

I'm 6foot4 300lbs and the MQB cars are some of the roomiest on the road from my point of view, not quite sure what you are going about there.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I just don’t see why someone would spend over close to, or over $40k (easily that much after options and taxes and fees), when there are so many other cars that are better cars in that price range. Is the Golf R practical? Yes and no. If your a small guy/girl, and have a small family, yes, but if you’re tall or big, and have friends or family that want to ride with you, and put luggage in, it’s not. It’s not a big car. Do people buy the Golf R for its sportiness? 100% yes, and though it is sporty, and can be tuned to be really fast, it’s not a sports car by any means. You’ll get more sporti’ness out of an older EVO, but those aren’t luxurious like the Golf R is. You can buy a used GT350 for about the same price, and you’ll have a way funner car, better handling car, better sounding car, and just an all around better performing car, which is a real sports car. There’s so many other choices out there is my point, for this kind of money. If I were you, and was set on the Golf R 7.5, I would wait at least another year, so that the car is actually worth the price you would pay for it. I would say this car is worth around $30-35k, but not over $40k. That’s ridiculous. But I’m not the one buying it, so do what you want. I’m just giving my opinion.

You pretty much answered your own question. People like the Golf R because it does everything really well, not because it does one thing the best.

It is worth 40k. In case you haven't noticed, money is worth less and less over time. Inflation is a thing. If your standard of "what is worth 40k" hasn't changed in the last decade...you're just not accounting for inflation.

nate704

Go Kart Champion

LOL.
I don't think you can put any adult humans in the "back seat" area along with tiny cargo area in GT350
I don't think GT350 is "all around better" performing car
I don't think all that "Better performance" aspects are valid when the roads and weather condition are not perfect.
I don't think there is any (if not zero) other choices for the features you get for the money you pay for R.

I guess it all comes down to everyday high performance hatch vs. garage queen or special occasion weekend ride sports car.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I just don’t see why someone would spend close to, or over $40k (easily that much after options and taxes and fees), when there are so many other cars that are better cars in that price range.

What cars in the price range are "better cars," and in what capacity? Most here would disagree with this statement (I'm one of them). The 30-40K range is full of entry-level luxury cars that are essentially Honda Accords with *SLIGHTLY* improved interiors and a badge. You don't start seeing actually good cars until 50K+, and really these days its 60K+.

Is the Golf R practical? Yes and no. If your a small guy/girl, and have a small family, yes, but if you’re tall or big, and have friends or family that want to ride with you, and put luggage in, it’s not. It’s not a big car.

I'm 6'2, and my MK6 GTI and both MK7 GTI's have been very comfortable for me. I have packed my car full of camping equipment and driven 2 passengers 800 miles and the ride was better than my parents' Durango when I was little. My first MK7 had the leather, and my 2nd has the cloth interior. Both were very comfortable for the many 10+ hour car rides I took in them, so in my experience this point is moot (comfort vs. useable interior space for cargo vs. passenger space)

Do people buy the Golf R for its sportiness? 100% yes, and though it is sporty, and can be tuned to be really fast, it’s not a sports car by any means. You’ll get more sportiness out of an older EVO, but those aren’t luxurious like the Golf R is. You can buy a used GT350 for about the same price, and you’ll have a way funner car, better handling car, better sounding car, and just an all around better performing car, which is a real sports car. There’s so many other choices out there is my point, for this kind of money.

The same thing you said about the EVO can be said about the GT350. They're both one-trick ponies. They perform well. That's all. For 99% of people, performance is only one of multiple aspects of consideration, and the Golf R hits every other point (interior luxury, ride quality, and functionality, to name a few) way harder than the two sports cars you mentioned. Everybody knows that a FWD GTI/FWD-biased AWD Golf R is not going to be the highest performing car for the money. But based on all the ~other~ aspects of consideration, you actually get a better value proposition out of the 40K Golf than every. other. car. available.

If I were you, and was set on the Golf R 7.5, I would wait at least another year, so that the car is actually worth the price you would pay for it. I would say this car is worth around $30-35k, but not over $40k. That’s ridiculous. But I’m not the one buying it, so do what you want. I’m just giving my opinion.

You're clearly just not a VW/Golf person. I can get a manual Alltrack for ~23K and put ~10K into it and have a car that would beat a Stage 2 Golf R, for *AT MOST* 10K less invested all-in, and still have more utility to boot. But the Golf R is an icon to those who view it as such. I would probably just get a Golf R anyway, because I've viewed them as the end-all be-all of my favorite car (the GTI) since I was young. And, realistically, if I have the money to drop 23K on a car, finance it, and then put 10K in mods into it, I have the money to finance a 40K car and leave it (mostly) stock - which is what I do with my cars anyway.

It might not be that logical, but with cars few things are "logical" - cars' main function is to get one from Point A to Point B and back again. 98% of people want a car that does the above with as little money and thought invested in the process as possible, and 95% of them can only afford a Toyota Corolla, Civic, or even cheaper (Yaris, Sentra, etc).

When getting a car for "performance" - you are no longer considering things "logically" - because fun is not a driver of practicality.

But almost every one of us on this forum would agree that fun is a REQUIREMENT in our cars, and we are willing to spend more money on a car in order to get that. But still, most of us still want all the things normal people do: utility, luxury, fuel economy, compliant ride, etc etc etc. The 40k+ spent on a Golf 7R delivers a higher overall value proposition to the average consumer (who is willing to buy a "40K hatchback") than just about any, other, car, period.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It is worth 40k. In case you haven't noticed, money is worth less and less over time. Inflation is a thing. If your standard of "what is worth 40k" hasn't changed in the last decade...you're just not accounting for inflation.

Thank you, this is so important. Fucking Ford Explorers are like 50K now lol

davewg

Ready to race!

Sorry, but why are you here?

Oh, and 'funner' is not a word.

Therein lies the rub, I've applied my logic, and my opinion, on what's the best $40K car for me.

+1 (100000)

+2

What cars in the price range are "better cars," and in what capacity? Most here would disagree with this statement (I'm one of them). The 30-40K range is full of entry-level luxury cars that are essentially Honda Accords with *SLIGHTLY* improved interiors and a badge. You don't start seeing actually good cars until 50K+, and really these days its 60K+.

I'm 6'2, and my MK6 GTI and both MK7 GTI's have been very comfortable for me. I have packed my car full of camping equipment and driven 2 passengers 800 miles and the ride was better than my parents' Durango when I was little. My first MK7 had the leather, and my 2nd has the cloth interior. Both were very comfortable for the many 10+ hour car rides I took in them, so in my experience this point is moot (comfort vs. useable interior space for cargo vs. passenger space)

The same thing you said about the EVO can be said about the GT350. They're both one-trick ponies. They perform well. That's all. For 99% of people, performance is only one of multiple aspects of consideration, and the Golf R hits every other point (interior luxury, ride quality, and functionality, to name a few) way harder than the two sports cars you mentioned. Everybody knows that a FWD GTI/FWD-biased AWD Golf R is not going to be the highest performing car for the money. But based on all the ~other~ aspects of consideration, you actually get a better value proposition out of the 40K Golf than every. other. car. available.

You're clearly just not a VW/Golf person. I can get a manual Alltrack for ~23K and put ~10K into it and have a car that would beat a Stage 2 Golf R, for *AT MOST* 10K less invested all-in, and still have more utility to boot. But the Golf R is an icon to those who view it as such. I would probably just get a Golf R anyway, because I've viewed them as the end-all be-all of my favorite car (the GTI) since I was young. And, realistically, if I have the money to drop 23K on a car, finance it, and then put 10K in mods into it, I have the money to finance a 40K car and leave it (mostly) stock - which is what I do with my cars anyway.

It might not be that logical, but with cars few things are "logical" - cars' main function is to get one from Point A to Point B and back again. 98% of people want a car that does the above with as little money and thought invested in the process as possible, and 95% of them can only afford a Toyota Corolla, Civic, or even cheaper (Yaris, Sentra, etc).

When getting a car for "performance" - you are no longer considering things "logically" - because fun is not a driver of practicality.

But almost every one of us on this forum would agree that fun is a REQUIREMENT in our cars, and we are willing to spend more money on a car in order to get that. But still, most of us still want all the things normal people do: utility, luxury, fuel economy, compliant ride, etc etc etc. The 40k+ spent on a Golf 7R delivers a higher overall value proposition to the average consumer (who is willing to buy a "40K hatchback") than just about any, other, car, period.

Well said.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The R is much nicer than the S3 or RS3. Just sat in the RS3 at the auto show and it's very plastic inside and the door latch for example feels like it came out of a Kia it's so cheap feeling. After sitting in it I feel like you would have to be stupid to pay 60k+ for one

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, yeah, in many ways I think Audi really leans on VW to make sure the R (at least, in the USA) is not kitted out with some of the stuff we would like to have solely to keep as many people as possible buying S3s. I would definitely buy an A4 or an S4, if I had the scratch, but the A3/S3 has zero appeal for me.