GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

B5AudiS4

I don’t know what it is that’s holding them up but I’ve just about had it. It’s ridiculous to have waited for “Fall 2017”, finally seeing Volkswagen’s post in October that the 2018 Golfs were on their way and now we’ll be heading into Spring 2018 with no information. It really irks me that they’re putting out info about the start of MK8 Golf production in just over a year and how the 2019 Jetta is expected to arrive in Q2 this year, possibly before the 2018 Golf R.

I really wanted AWD but am now going to consider a GTI. Any other suggestions?

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in the same camp as you and had been told by my dealer to expect delivery in December. Checked around and an Audi S3 is pretty similar if you don't want a manual transmission. Dealers here in Oregon are dropping well below MSRP on them, but not yet to Golf R prices.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
I’ve considered an fully loaded Alltrack. Use the savings for performance mods, but you never see that money spent back at trade or resale time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought obviously not on par performance wise, the Alltrack is surprisingly fun in it's own right. Way more enjoyable that it's on paper stats would lead you to believe. Every time I get in one and drive at work, I'm resurprised by how much I like them, and how well they drive. Very, very cars do that to me.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Depressing.

I have to turn my lease in on 3/29....starting to wonder what my alternatives might be.

Step down to a GTI?
Lease an S3?

WRX if I can talk the wife into a manuel (she wouldn't be able to drive it).

Le sigh

Yeah, I have been mulling the same thing. I have started looking at other options - my lease is up in
3 weeks. I’ve looked at the WRX and I liked it more than I thought, but still too noisy and unrefined. Drove an S3 and loved it, but missed out on a minimally used 2017, when someone bought it just before me (I put an offer in and then was told it had ‘just sold’). I’m looking at a used 2017 m240i today with 2500 miles on it. I love my GTI but have decided that I want AWD. The field is narrow!

davewg

Ready to race!
Yeah, I have been mulling the same thing. I have started looking at other options - my lease is up in
3 weeks. I’ve looked at the WRX and I liked it more than I thought, but still too noisy and unrefined. Drove an S3 and loved it, but missed out on a minimally used 2017, when someone bought it just before me (I put an offer in and then was told it had ‘just sold’). I’m looking at a used 2017 m240i today with 2500 miles on it. I love my GTI but have decided that I want AWD. The field is narrow!

The AWD thing is keeping me in on the R.

I really don't think I want a WRX mainly for the reasons you state. Noisy, unrefined.

Realistic alternatives seem to be down to:

S3, but would probably have to be a lease which my wife isn't a fan of.
Regal GS, but, just not sure about the interior.
TourX only because its a wagon. AWD. But same issues as the above.
Stinger because RWD, but good luck finding one in the NE that isn't AWD.

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Nobody is telling the dealers anything. Was in a large dealership yesterday; 4 guys sitting around picking their noses until I finally interrupted them and asked about the R. One guy said late March or early April. Knew they were in port. Said they would only be allocated ONE 2018 model. They probably got 4-6 in the past. Said it might be emissions or just a change in taillights or something minor. He was clearly guessing...

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Rep at the Chicago auto show didn’t know anything. Said the car (along w the whole golf lineup) needed to be recertified because of the new lights. Couldn’t explain why the gti was already out and the r wasn’t. Just said the gti was the only facelifted golf out so far.

davewg

Ready to race!
Reps don't know anything. I was told at Philadelphia Auto Show that the R would be the last of the Golfs released. GTI, Alltrack, Golf R.

It would be out before the '19 Jetta.

Timing? They didn't really know.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I just don’t see why someone would spend over close to, or over $40k (easily that much after options and taxes and fees), when there are so many other cars that are better cars in that price range. Is the Golf R practical? Yes and no. If your a small guy/girl, and have a small family, yes, but if you’re tall or big, and have friends or family that want to ride with you, and put luggage in, it’s not. It’s not a big car. Do people buy the Golf R for its sportiness? 100% yes, and though it is sporty, and can be tuned to be really fast, it’s not a sports car by any means. You’ll get more sporti’ness out of an older EVO, but those aren’t luxurious like the Golf R is. You can buy a used GT350 for about the same price, and you’ll have a way funner car, better handling car, better sounding car, and just an all around better performing car, which is a real sports car. There’s so many other choices out there is my point, for this kind of money. If I were you, and was set on the Golf R 7.5, I would wait at least another year, so that the car is actually worth the price you would pay for it. I would say this car is worth around $30-35k, but not over $40k. That’s ridiculous. But I’m not the one buying it, so do what you want. I’m just giving my opinion.