GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

One of exhaust tips is not getting any carbon build up

Steel28

Hey guys,

Just noticed that one of the exhaust tips is not getting dark. I'm at 1K and started opening up a car a bit.

Should I worry?

When I put piece of paper on it I can see the air is coming out.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Weird lol

My center two definitely get more carbon, but the two outer ones are equal. The exhaust valves are located on the two outer pipes, so i suppose it is possible the left one is faulty. More likely that its just because your car is basically brand new and you have't really been driving it hard. The vales as it is open up over ~3k rpm (if I remember correctly)

Clean them with some metal polish and give it some more time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I noticed the same thing when it was new. If you're really concerned take off the flap motor and see if it moves when you shift from N to D. It should move 90 degrees then go back 90 degrees.

And turn the flap shaft with your fingers to make sure it moves 90 degrees. Just remember to put it back where it was before you attach the motor.

OR, buy or borrow a borescope and watch it work realtime. Just don't get it caught in the flap.

warchieft2k

Ready to race!
the reason that happens is bc the outside exhaust tip has a valve. it only open in you have it in race and sports mode over a certain RPM... if you drive it in D and normal mode it will never open..

Pr0xim0s

Ready to race!
Check to make sure the driver side Plug is attached to the valve system. It's very easy to see. The module is right above the tips. Looks like a black box.

Steel28

the reason that happens is bc the outside exhaust tip has a valve. it only open in you have it in race and sports mode over a certain RPM... if you drive it in D and normal mode it will never open..

thanks I understand but my concern was that outer right tip was getting some build but outer left stayed clean.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't believe this statement is right.

The valve open idle until 1.1k RPM and then close and open again at 3.5k RPM no matter what mode your on from my understanding.

It's not. The only thing Sports or Race mode does is raise the idle. It has no effect on the flaps. They operate the same no matter what the mode. The flaps open on full throttle. Their main function is to limit drone. See sig.

hal

Ready to race!
It's not. The only thing Sports or Race mode does is raise the idle. It has no effect on the flaps. They operate the same no matter what the mode. The flaps open on full throttle. Their main function is to limit drone. See sig.

VW changed that in a firmware update and THEY ARE linked to the drive mode now. I'm 100% sure and did vcds logging to prove it (that I posted in another thread already) and at some point I changed to Sport and back while idle and the flaps opened and closed.

annoyingmouse

Fluid takes the path of least resistance. The majority of exhaust gas will travel the pipe\s with the straightest lines from the resonator or where ever the system splits into multiple pipes.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Fluid takes the path of least resistance. The majority of exhaust gas will travel the pipe\s with the straightest lines from the resonator or where ever the system splits into multiple pipes.

I have mine permanent open (tweak via vcds). All four pipes are equal "black" when I haven't cleaned them. The outer pipes are more open than the inner since they are more loud!

/Peter