GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sport Mode Switching Upshift and Downshift

Xminka

So I've tried searching on here and google for anyone asking this question and haven't really found much but I've been curious. Can you switch the direction you push for changing gears when in the manual mode with the DSG gear box.

For example with the MK7 DSG you push forward to go up in gears and pull back to go down. Which I understand makes since to most but I've had experiences with driving BMW's and driving sims on my computer and I am to used to pushing forward to go down in gears and pulling back to go up (sorta seems to be the standard in performance/racing cars with sequential gear boxes).

So I was curious had anyone heard of being able to change this in the computer brain somewhere or change in someway that isnt replacing the transmission or anything to that scale of work.

Thanks for any replies!:)

surrealjam

Ready to race!
I've not heard of this being possible but I agree it would be nice. Pushing forward to change down seems to make more sense and is, as you suggest, how racing cars operate.

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
the forward-to-upshift/back-to-downshift is completely counterintuitive when it comes to sequential gear boxes (which is why you see it the other way in racing cars like you said) and i can't figure out when/why most manufacturers decided to do it that way :confused:

all the mazdas i have had followed the back-to-upshift/forward-to-downshift layout. they get it! luckily the paddles work so well in our cars... :D

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
all the mazdas i have had followed the back-to-upshift/forward-to-downshift layout. they get it! luckily the paddles work so well in our cars... :D

I had a Mazda 6 rental car once after having my MKV DSG for a few years. One incorrect downshift was all it took to tell me that it was reversed haha. I feel like the shifter surround wasn't marked well.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Not sure how the DSG shifter is set up... but...

I remember for a different make, model, etc car on the forums... may be the FR-S/BRZ forums...

Someone was able to reverse it by popping the shifter up and swapping the wires. That way tapping the shifter forward switch is now linked to downshifting.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Not sure how the DSG shifter is set up... but...

I remember for a different make, model, etc car on the forums... may be the FR-S/BRZ forums...

Someone was able to reverse it by popping the shifter up and swapping the wires. That way tapping the shifter forward switch is now linked to downshifting.

That might work. It's all electronic anyway right? No cables?

wlfpck

Ready to race!
That might work. It's all electronic anyway right? No cables?

Should just be wires...

When you push the shifter up or down, there should be a switch that gets "clicked". That tells the computer to either upshift or downshift.

From the FRS/BRZ forums... I think all they did was pull the wires that go into the shifter and reverse them. So the wire for upshift was now plugged into downshift and vice versa.

Again... this is what worked on the FRS/BRZ.

Did some digging through and found the following on FT86club. No idea if it is the same for VW.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21741

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Should just be wires...

When you push the shifter up or down, there should be a switch that gets "clicked". That tells the computer to either upshift or downshift.

From the FRS/BRZ forums... I think all they did was pull the wires that go into the shifter and reverse them. So the wire for upshift was now plugged into downshift and vice versa.

Again... this is what worked on the FRS/BRZ.

Did some digging through and found the following on FT86club. No idea if it is the same for VW.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21741

Hah thats crazy. Neat that it works.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Should work, but no one has been brave enough to try it out or handy enough with a soldering iron. If this annoyed me more, i would pursue, but i'm on my second vw dsg and am used to forward for up and back for down.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've only owned VW's so it doesn't bother me one bit, because it's all I've known. Also, there's the paddles.

Xminka

I shoulda mentioned that the paddles are good and that is what I use most of the time when on back roads having fun but there is the occasion in traffic or what not when I'm a bit more relaxed that I don't want to have to have both hands on the wheel and would use the bump shift and I think its twice now that I have accidentally downshifted when I ment to upshift haha

Xminka

Should work, but no one has been brave enough to try it out or handy enough with a soldering iron. If this annoyed me more, i would pursue, but i'm on my second vw dsg and am used to forward for up and back for down.

Yea I would pursue it further but paddles work fine and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person haha just figured id ask to see if anyone had herd of anything :D