GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Golf S 5 speed MT first mods?

marko cubrovic

Passed Driver's Ed
I plan to upgrade the car with Nuespeed Rse10 18x8, 45ET and 235/40/18 summer tires + OEM sport suspension springs. Do you have any suggestions on my next mods?

2017 Golf S 5 speed MT

MikeF1021

Ready to race!
There are plenty of free(or cheap) and easy clutch/shifter mods that make driving this car way more enjoyable.

I have done and recommend:

BMS clutch stop
034 Dogbone insert
CDV delete (when you do this you should buy some high quality dot4 fluid to bleed the system with. I use ate sl.6)

I still need to get around to doing the clutch spring delete and installing some new brass shifter bracket bushings.

More expensive mods would include a shortshifter and a weighted shift knob. I have the deiselgeek sigma5 and the BFI gsb2 and love it.

Tires, springs, and shifter mods will have you well on your way to loving the hell out of this car.

MikeF1021

Ready to race!
Man I really need to update my build thread...

Last week I switched out my Michelin x ice xi3 for 17" neuspeed rse05 with 225/45r17 Michelin Pilot super sports.

I really liked the idea of keeping the corner weight as close to oem as possible, while also maintaining the exact oem tire diameter(and thus gearing & tach/Speedo accuracy) of 25".

I can hit it pretty hard in 1st and the tires don't lose traction. Road noise is a bit loud but that's the least of my concerns. I'm happy.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious about this as well. I have tsi as well in manual. I have some 18" enkei's on there at the moment. I was going to buy some solo werk coilovers to get rid of that wheel gap. I also wanted to go stage1 right after that. Done some research and saw there are some nice upgrades but not as much as a GTI unfortunately.

marko cubrovic

Passed Driver's Ed
Mike, I love 17" neuspeed rse05 for the weight and size that was the wheel I considered initially, but I like the looks of the rse10s little better. I was looking for a 17 wheel only until I saw rse10 and fell in love with it. Where you able to use stock OEM wheel lug nuts? Can you attach some pictures

Have anyone upgraded their rear sway bar on Golf 1.8t?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Mike, I love 17" neuspeed rse05 for the weight and size that was the wheel I considered initially, but I like the looks of the rse10s little better. I was looking for a 17 wheel only until I saw rse10 and fell in love with it. Where you able to use stock OEM wheel lug nuts? Can you attach some pictures

Have anyone upgraded their rear sway bar on Golf 1.8t?
yes, 1.8t sportwagen owner here.

for around $100-120, one can buy the 22mm GTI rear bar (part of DCC suspension option). Comes with brackets and bushing attached.

I have it on now, nice upgrade, noticeably less roll. Here's a discussion thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=8080457

For autocross, one might go a little stiffer and there many options, just not as cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
A tune (APR, Unitronic, jb)
obd11.
Clutch stop (diy, eBay, bfi)
Tint

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You should look through the private classified section for sway bars if you're thinking about one. I got mine for $145 shipped brand new in box and am extremely happy with it, understeer is a thing of the past. Mine, the 25mm ST RSB, is a hollow 25.4mm (1") rear sway bar, so it's on the softer side of aftermarket rsb's for the GTI, but as my front sway bar is also softer than the GTI's it seems to have balanced out perfectly.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Just got the clubsport/PP sway bar this week. Going in tomorrow hopefully. Feel free to check out my build thread. Thanks!

marko cubrovic

Passed Driver's Ed
My first mod is 17" neuspeed rse05 with 225/45r17 summer tire, should complete by the end of the week. Will post pics soon. Should I go with OEM sport springs or rear sway bar as my next mod. I really like 22mm GTI rear bar shared by Odessa Filez.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is my OEM+ build w/ list of mods if it gives you any inspiration :)

2016 Golf 1.8T TSI Comfortline w/ LP & CP - Manual 5 Speed - Platinum Grey | 17" Tronics w/ Spacers | APR 91 Stage I | DG Springs | 034 Insert V2 | CDV Delete | deAutoKey LED Interior/Reverse/Plate | Clutch Stop | GTI Side skirts | Maxton Design Front Cup Lip | 35% Rear Tint | OBDeleven | Recaro Performance SPORT Baby Car Seat

Last edited:

MikeF1021

Ready to race!
My first mod is 17" neuspeed rse05 with 225/45r17 summer tire, should complete by the end of the week. Will post pics soon. Should I go with OEM sport springs or rear sway bar as my next mod. I really like 22mm GTI rear bar shared by Odessa Filez.

Nice! Sorry I didn't reply to your other post sooner. I think the rse10s are beautiful but I also personally think the benefits of 17 inch wheels outweigh those of 18s. The rse05s are cheaper now and also later when you need new tires, you get more sidewall to deal with potholes and also NVH, and you keep the unsprung weight low.

As far as springs vs sway bar... You are going to want to eliminate/reduce your wheel gap as soon as you put your new wheels on, so I think that is a priority... but keep in mind a RSB install is relatively cheap and easy to DIY.

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is my OEM+ build w/ list of mods if it gives you any inspiration :)

2016 Golf 1.8T TSI Comfortline w/ LP & CP - Manual 5 Speed - Platinum Grey | 17" Tronics w/ Spacers | APR 91 Stage I | DG Springs | 034 Insert V2 | CDV Delete | deAutoKey LED Interior/Reverse/Plate | Clutch Stop | GTI Side skirts | Maxton Design Front Cup Lip | 35% Rear Tint | OBDeleven | Recaro Performance SPORT Baby Car Seat

How is that APR tune treating you?