GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which cars did you cross shop when buying your R?

skr9

In my mind, there is little that compares, minus the S3. The R, in my mind, was the complete package - high performance, practicality of a hatch, all-wheel drive (important here in the Northeast), and premium feel and content. I love the fact that VW decided to just throw everything in the R, leaving only choice color and transmission. Made for easy shopping!
Only other vehicle I would have briefly considered was Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 - while Mazda has great driving dynamics, the premium feel is nowhere near as good, and certainly does not perform as high, and Mazda still does not offer Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Now if Mazda did an all-wheel drive MazdaSpeed CX-3, then you'd have something :p

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Focus RS, Mustang 5.0, M2 and the R were the 4 cars I had considered withing a few month time frame, but systematically brought it down to the M2 and R. Chose the R for practicality, but man, coming from an E46 M, I really did want the M2 if it was only me in the picture.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Focus RS, Mustang 5.0, M2 and the R were the 4 cars I had considered withing a few month time frame, but systematically brought it down to the M2 and R. Chose the R for practicality, but man, coming from an E46 M, I really did want the M2 if it was only me in the picture.

In Australia it's hard to compare the M2 to the R due to price. Many get R for around mid 50s and M2 with few options up to 110K. As much as I like look of M2 It's not worth double the R.

I can get a fantastic price on m140i through lease plan as cheap as I paid for my R so will be swapping my wifes S3 to it in next few months.

Have best of both worlds stage 2 MK7R and awesome RWD powerful M140i to swap between.

FrankTheBunny

Passed Driver's Ed
I started looking at the BMW 3/5 Wagons, which eventually led me to looking at the Lexus CT, I REALLY like the that car, and was hoping there was a non hybrid. I love the planet and all that, but I also love accelerating. ;) So that's what steered me towards a hatch.

Which is how I came to find out about the R. I'm a VDub newbie, and hadn't even thought of the GTI or R. Then I started reading all these amazing reviews of the R (this was early 2016) and instantly fell in love. It ended up being the only test drive I went on this time around. I always say "this time I'm going to drive a ton of cars before making my decision" - last time I think I drove 4. If the car wasn't in such short supply around here, I would have taken longer, but I really had to hunt to get my 6MT up here.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
My requirements were: AWD, hatchback, turbo, 6MT, not selling my youngest child for the down payment. I only cross shopped the R and Focus RS.

Last edited:

translux

Ready to race!
GTI-even with the e-diff couldn't get past the wheel spin
Focus RS-amazing car but to rough for Chicago roads and didn't like the seating position.
WRX-nice car but the right now power delivery followed by quickly running out of breath was no fun. Felt cramped, low rent interior.
Audi S3-lack of manual and numb steering
Ford GT350-one of the best GT cars in existence, oh my god that motor! But I'm just to big. Actually brought my helmet with and couldn't keep my head straight.
M235/240-couldn't find a manual, small
M2-almost $60k with right options, and of course no manuals to be found, small
Chevy SS-on center numbness and no manuals to be found.
2011-2013 CTS-V sedan or wagon-couldn't find a manual with lower miles and Recaro's anywhere close, still on the lookout as i really miss the one I had.
Probably more but that's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
Everything on my list was either not available in the US or in manual trans...lol

BMW M135i/M140i
Audi RS3 sportback
Mercedes A45 AMG hatch

I pretty much settled on the Golf R before I test drove one I guess.

Khaledtee

These were my choices here in Riyadh, KSA..

1) Audi S3 sedan (too expensive 5000 $ difference from my R)

2) A45 amg (way too expensive and the dealer is expensive in terms of maintenance etc...)

3) subaru wrx sti (cheaper than my R but the dealer has absolutely no credibility here yet)

But.. I love my R haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Everything on my list was either not available in the US or in manual trans...lol

BMW M135i/M140i
Audi RS3 sportback
Mercedes A45 AMG hatch

I pretty much settled on the Golf R before I test drove one I guess.

Does cross shopping to replace the R count? :rolleyes:

Overall I'm happy driving a manual, and the R is a great car - but the 6MT in the R feels like an afterthought (in my opinion) and I'm getting close to 2 years with it and the itch is there to step up (PT Cruiser GT [first], 2013 GLI, 2016 R).
I'd like to switch back to a DCT - I shopped all of these recently:

Definite No
M2 (hard to find, always marked over MSRP, RWD in northern Ohio)
Used M3 (RWD, interior of BMWs feels really stale)
ATS-V (general quality concerns, RWD)
GLA45 AMG (choice #3, wasn't in love with the styling)
S3 (too close to the R, been there done that)
Maserati Ghibli (quality concerns, pricey new, not special)
GT350 (2 doors, RWD, not reasonable for a DD and all-weather car)
2017 F-150 Raptor (really wanted this, but ford loves marking them up and they're WAY more than I need)
Used Porsche Macan Turbo (close to 30k miles for my price range, had to travel to get it, don't need the SUV)

Maybe
2018 Audi S5 Sportback (new S5 styling, sedan utility)
S4 (used or new)
CLA45 AMG (2016+)
GLA45 AMG (2016+)

My final choice (and #1 choice since I heard it was coming to the US)
The new 2018 RS3 Sedan that I just put a deposit and an order on :D (in Nardo gray, same silver optics)

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Does cross shopping to replace the R count? :rolleyes:

Overall I'm happy driving a manual, and the R is a great car - but the 6MT in the R feels like an afterthought (in my opinion) and I'm getting close to 2 years with it and the itch is there to step up (PT Cruiser GT [first], 2013 GLI, 2016 R).
I'd like to switch back to a DCT - I shopped all of these recently:

Definite No
M2 (hard to find, always marked over MSRP, RWD in northern Ohio)
Used M3 (RWD, interior of BMWs feels really stale)
ATS-V (general quality concerns, RWD)
GLA45 AMG (choice #3, wasn't in love with the styling)
S3 (too close to the R, been there done that)
Maserati Ghibli (quality concerns, pricey new, not special)
GT350 (2 doors, RWD, not reasonable for a DD and all-weather car)
2017 F-150 Raptor (really wanted this, but ford loves marking them up and they're WAY more than I need)
Used Porsche Macan Turbo (close to 30k miles for my price range, had to travel to get it, don't need the SUV)

Maybe
2018 Audi S5 Sportback (new S5 styling, sedan utility)
S4 (used or new)
CLA45 AMG (2016+)
GLA45 AMG (2016+)

My final choice (and #1 choice since I heard it was coming to the US)
The new 2018 RS3 Sedan that I just put a deposit and an order on :D (in Nardo gray, same silver optics)

The RS3 is a very sweet looking ride, congrats.

criterion

I'm a long time VW fan but my list this time was colorful but ultimately went with a 17 R 6MT and couldn't be happier.

Top 3 choices were

1 Golf R (all the good stuff you're familiar with but also fits my two kids ;) )

2 Alfa Romeo Gulia (amazing car, one of the best and longest test drives. NO room in the back seat for people also worried that they haven't sold Alfas in the US for years and how reliably would be)

3 Audi A4 (I was shocked how boring this car was)

Also thought of the Focus RS (disliked the interior big time and not a lot of stock around so no deals), a GTI if the Golf R pricing didn't work, used S4 but it would have to have been 2013

17 Golf .:R, 04 .:R32, 03 GTI 337, 01 GTI, 99.5 GTI, 93 Corrado VR6, 91 Passat 16v #savethemanuals