GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When is the REFRESHED 2018 Golf/GTI available stateside?

Batman0424

Yeah, that's fair enough. Meanwhile here, even the few 2017 Rs that are left are going for MSRP or even above (as people run out of patience, I imagine) while dealers are basically paying people to take GTIs off their hands.

Have to say, am one of the ones who's starting to lose patience myself. As each day of unavailability and utter silence from VWofA goes by, the Focus RS that my local Ford dealer has sitting on their lot looks more and more attractive...

This is where I landed with the GTI. Wanted to wait for the 2018, but the lack of information, coupled with the deals being offered, pushed me into a 2017.

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
This is where I landed with the GTI. Wanted to wait for the 2018, but the lack of information, coupled with the deals being offered, pushed me into a 2017.

Yeah, I think at this point even if my dealer called me to say he found the R I want (Grey, DSG/DSS) in a 2017 at a good price, I'd pass - the 2018 warranty just can't be ignored. Unfortunately, the longer I wait, the better other cars look. I think if there's no confirmed delivery dates for the 2018s by the end of November (bugger it, I've waited this long) then I'm looking elsewhere.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Yeah, they need to hurry the fuck up. Cut your losses on the 17s before you start losing customers on the 18s.

Batman0424

Yeah, I think at this point even if my dealer called me to say he found the R I want (Grey, DSG/DSS) in a 2017 at a good price, I'd pass - the 2018 warranty just can't be ignored. Unfortunately, the longer I wait, the better other cars look. I think if there's no confirmed delivery dates for the 2018s by the end of November (bugger it, I've waited this long) then I'm looking elsewhere.

If I was purchasing, I would have waited, but mines a lease. It will be back to VW before the warranty expires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

There are close to 4500 brand new 2017 GTIs but only 20 Golf R sitting in dealer inventory. VW should move on at some point of time if not it is going to hurt their sale numbers during the holiday season. Hopefully we hear some announcement before end of Nov.

Batman0424

There are close to 4500 brand new 2017 GTIs but only 20 Golf R sitting in dealer inventory. VW should move on at some point of time if not it is going to hurt their sale numbers during the holiday season. Hopefully we hear some announcement before end of Nov.

Have sales decline or was the forecast too high?

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
If I was purchasing, I would have waited, but mines a lease. It will be back to VW before the warranty expires.

I'll be leasing as well, but with an eye to purchasing at the end of it. Past decade or so I've been doing the leasing thing, but would be nice to get to a point where we don't have car payments - if only for a couple of years. (I do know that Jeep Grand Cherokee of mine needs to go, but stuck with that for another 18 months at least.)

Sep 16 VS Sep 17 sale numbers has increased by 33%. I think was a bad forecast.
https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2017/10/VW_US_sales_Sep.html

Wow - R sales certainly plummeted. 204 Rs sold in September of 2016, versus just 71 sold in September 2017. Certainly seemed like there was more inventory last year than this - over 3,100 sold by the end of September last year.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Wow - R sales certainly plummeted. 204 Rs sold in September of 2016, versus just 71 sold in September 2017. Certainly seemed like there was more inventory last year than this - over 3,100 sold by the end of September last year.

Monthly numbers might fluctuate based on a lot of factors. Jan - Sep numbers between 2016 and 2017 shows a slight decrease but nothing drastic. MK7.5 information was released in summer 2017 and that might have made people wait for the 2018s.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'll be leasing as well, but with an eye to purchasing at the end of it. Past decade or so I've been doing the leasing thing, but would be nice to get to a point where we don't have car payments - if only for a couple of years. (I do know that Jeep Grand Cherokee of mine needs to go, but stuck with that for another 18 months at least.)

Why would you buy off-lease? You'd basically be paying MSRP.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'll be leasing as well

I'd be careful with that on the R, especially if you want to buy it after.

I haven't seen the numbers lately, but before it had a VERY strong residual (like 65-70%) on a lease....which should mean a low payment.
BUT VW was charging a crazy high money factor and that was jacking the payment up (like $200/month extra)

The money factor is the "interest rate" on a lease. Usually it's low, but if it's high....then you're getting screwed since you're not actually paying anything towards the car itself and just paying them a bunch of interest.

And with that strong residual...that means it'd have a really high buy out price at the end of the lease.
So you would have been better off buying it to begin with

my 2 cents

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Well, from what I've been discovering - researching buying these in the SF Bay Area - paying MSRP is par for the course anyways. The offer I have now is a $500 deposit (third in line, refundable), paying MSRP, a MF of .00208, and 62% residual. So basically buy at the end for about $25-$26k.

That said, the issue is a lower monthly payment initially. Right now we have a toddler who's costing us the better part of $1,800 a month for daycare making things rather tight. We have about two more years of that before she starts kindergarten, after which being able to have the higher payment is far more doable. Kicking the can down the road somewhat, but...

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Yeah, they need to hurry the fuck up. Cut your losses on the 17s before you start losing customers on the 18s.

I read on the other forum of some dealer having like 75 2017 gti's on his lot still. Was a big time dealer I guess but that's alot. Sounds like they overproduced them

Flippy

Ready to race!
Well, from what I've been discovering - researching buying these in the SF Bay Area - paying MSRP is par for the course anyways. The offer I have now is a $500 deposit (third in line, refundable), paying MSRP, a MF of .00208, and 62% residual. So basically buy at the end for about $25-$26k.

That said, the issue is a lower monthly payment initially. Right now we have a toddler who's costing us the better part of $1,800 a month for daycare making things rather tight. We have about two more years of that before she starts kindergarten, after which being able to have the higher payment is far more doable. Kicking the can down the road somewhat, but...

Ah yes, the joys of paying for daycare in California. I was legitimately paying twice as much per month for a nanny as I did for an entire semester of in state tuition at ASU. Once I stopped paying for that it kind of put things in perspective that I could step it up a bit when purchasing my next car.