GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I cant get the engine block line to move it is wiggling but cant pull it out or even put a screw driver behind it..

Keep working it and prying behind the bracket, and it will eventually pop loose.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Keep working it and prying behind the bracket, and it will eventually pop loose.

What can i put behind the bracket i cant even fit a small screw driver. I am moving the pipe but the bracket not even

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
This is the part when I was doing the install that I got stuck and had to put it aside until the next weekend. It will take a while and is definitely the hardest part of the install. It will seem like you're not making very much (if any) progress, but until you can fit a screw driver behind it just keep rhythmically wiggling it in whatever way it will move and a bit in the ways it won't move while pulling out with medium force. If I remember correctly I could only fit the screw driver under it after I got more than half way out.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
This is the part when I was doing the install that I got stuck and had to put it aside until the next weekend. It will take a while and is definitely the hardest part of the install. It will seem like you're not making very much (if any) progress, but until you can fit a screw driver behind it just keep rhythmically wiggling it in whatever way it will move and a bit in the ways it won't move while pulling out with medium force. If I remember correctly I could only fit the screw driver under it after I got more than half way out.
Its very demoralizing lol..i can barely fit my big mittens in there

Last edited:

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
If you have something very long you may be able to have someone help you from the top. It is a pain in the limited space you have. But everyone is right. Pry and wiggle.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
If you have something very long you may be able to have someone help you from the top. It is a pain in the limited space you have. But everyone is right. Pry and wiggle.

Yeah I tried my longest screw driver and it reaches. I tried taping it with a hammer moved a bit but it is still on the block.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Go in through the bolt hole of the bracket with with a thin long flathead and pry it out a bit. Then get a long flathead and slide it under the bracket from the back and pry out. The bracket can bent back after it is out.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Go in through the bolt hole of the bracket with with a thin long flathead and pry it out a bit. Then get a long flathead and slide it under the bracket from the back and pry out. The bracket can bent back after it is out.

Must not have the correct screw driver. Cant even bent it. I am really lost not sure what else to do.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Try a flat blade big and thick enough so you can twist it instead of prying. So it gives the fitting a nice straight push.

It's hard to describe what I'm talking about, but conceptually it's like this:

https://youtu.be/x2OOa-BAEgY

Instead of spreading a strut, your spreading a fitting out.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
I just cant even fit a small blade between the bracket and the block. Its able to twist now but thats it

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Here it is. It doesnt help that my car is PP and that limits the space even more! I am about to the point where I want to put everything back together and take it to a shop.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I just cant even fit a small blade between the bracket and the block. Its able to twist now but thats it

Twisting back and forth whilst pulling out is good too. Keep working at it and it'll pop out eventually. If you have a small prybar, you might be able to wedge it in at the base of the bracket, almost parallel to the block, and hammer lightly with a rubber mallet. Just be careful not to damage the line or the block. I remember laying on my back and having to get rough with both hands, lol. Biggest PITA of the job as I recall. Wish I had a better trick to share!

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Here it is. It doesnt help that my car is PP and that limits the space even more! I am about to the point where I want to put everything back together and take it to a shop.

Maybe. Maybe you could vice grip it (near the bracket for best crush resistance) and then pry between the grips and block?

If all else fails and no picking prying, or wiggling will work, just cut the stupid thing off and order a new one. Unless it's prohibitively expensive.