GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Button under Accelerator

GeoBog

Ready to race!
Went to town this AM.
Came back on the interstate.
At 75mph, DSG in manual mode, 6th gear.
Pressed the gas all way down and pushed the button.

Car shifted to 3rd and RPM's climbed.
So an overtake or emergency button.
I was suprised at 3rd gear. I thought maybe down to 4th.
Not sure about lower speeds but shifting to 3rd in most situations make sense as 3rd pulls hard and is a safe gear in most situations.

It shifts down based on RPM/speed. Usually the DSG factory map is set for fuel economy so it will keep you in high gear most of the times to keep RPM low. That's why sometimes the car gets to 6th gear when you are only doing 40 mph. This is why most people are moaning about the DSG on forums and they get a "DSG tune". When you press the kick down switch on the throttle pedal the car shifts down to the gear that will bring the engine to around 5000 rpm at the speed you are currently running. I even had the car shift into 2nd/5500 rpm then the DSG redlined at 6500 and shifted to 3rd. Obviously the exhaust was popping on both downshift to second and then upshift to 3rd.

KyleKisstro

Passed Driver's Ed
17 R 6MT USA - Confirmed to have the button.

Also FWIW:

14 GLI DSG had it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
My vote is also for nitrous button, and maybe also wastegate actuator disabler, but I only had this button on my mk6 tiptronic golf, no button on my mk7 5mt.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ask me.
It's to overrule the speed limiter function of your cruise control.

;)

On manual only?
But why needed?
You can override the speed limited by pressing the gas even a little.
It will resume if you take foot off the gas but one can go faster and not push this button. So what is point? It does not just function like this in the DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
On manual only?
But why needed?
It will resume if you take foot off the gas but one can go faster and not push this button. So what is point? It does not
Just function like this in the DSG.

Some cars, mine included, have a settable speed limit, (separate to cruise control), above which the car will not accelerate, unles you push down to the button, which is there as an emergency override. On DSG cars, it perfoms both this and kickdown functions. It doesn't do anything else, magic or otherwise.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
On manual only?
But why needed?
It will resume if you take foot off the gas but one can go faster and not push this button. So what is point? It does not
Just function like this in the DSG.

Sandman, you're mistaken the speed limiter with the cruise control. The speed limiter do just this. It limits the speed to a preset velocity no matter how deep you press the gas pedal. Until you press the "button" at the end of the travel. I don't know though, if the NA models even have this function. All European models from all makes combine the cruise control with the speed limiter for a decade now.