GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gtijake's Drone Free Turboback Thread

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
maybe it's just me, but it didn't sound drone free when you got up to 70mph in that video.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's a CTS that was originally catless, but I added a cat.

The video is hard to tell, it's all road noise (doesn't get quieter when I let off). There is absolutely zero drone at any speed or rpm

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Do you attribute drone removal from the 5" vibrant resonator or you think it is the combination with muffler? I'm thinking of picking up a magnaflow exhaust because they are so affordable and adding that resonator to eliminate drone.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Do you attribute drone removal from the 5" vibrant resonator or you think it is the combination with muffler? I'm thinking of picking up a magnaflow exhaust because they are so affordable and adding that resonator to eliminate drone.

I think any combo of longer bodied resonator and straight through muffler will produce good results, I just picked these two for there 304L stainless steel construction. Idk about their cat back, but the mufflers MF sells individually are 409 stainless which rusts worse than aluminized steel

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I can hear you let off the gas at 1:16. Now whether or not one would consider it offensive "drone" is not able to be determined by the video. I can certainly hear the exhaust when you are cruising at 80. It's not road noise.

Yes, I agree. And the exhaust is clearly a nice sporty tone. The drone-ish sound is the road noise

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I think any combo of longer bodied resonator and straight through muffler will produce good results, I just picked these two for there 304L stainless steel construction. Idk about their cat back, but the mufflers MF sells individually are 409 stainless which rusts worse than aluminized steel

I live in CA so rust shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for info.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
How much weight difference between your setup(which is great) and the original stock system? Sounds great too!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
How much weight difference between your setup(which is great) and the original stock system? Sounds great too!

I didn't weigh either but probably about half as much. The stock suit case is heavy. I'd say counting my full turbo back it's at least 40# lighter

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I live in SC, 409 will rust from being outside in the desert

I have the Magnaflow exhaust. I installed it in July of 2016 and removed it in January of 2017 because I'm old was getting tired of the highway drone. It rusted a lot...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm getting a lot of that, it's not a diesel truck so I feel like 3.5" is plenty.

I'd love to see a single exit valance, all of the single side ones are for dual tips side by side

triharderken

Ready to race!
I'm getting a lot of that, it's not a diesel truck so I feel like 3.5" is plenty.

I'd love to see a single exit valance, all of the single side ones are for dual tips side by side

It would be a PITA, but you could source a Golf 1.8 valence, which would likely require a Golf bumper...or try to retrofit if you have skillz. I have no idea if it would even work without the stock Golf bumper, but someone might trade you for a GTI setup.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have the Magnaflow exhaust. I installed it in July of 2016 and removed it in January of 2017 because I'm old was getting tired of the highway drone. It rusted a lot...

Looks pretty rusty near that exhaust hanger. Like I said I'm not sure if their complete system is 304 or 409, but the individual mufflers are 409

No need to get defensive, I simply offered advice on making the Mf system more tolerable. Wasn't bashing it, but 409 is what it is. It will rust and 304 will not. Not my words, it's science

Last edited: