GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will I get charged extra for ordering?

CoGforever

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd like to buy a GTI Sport in Midnight Blue which isn't really common around here. One that isn't scratched up by the wash guys and one with no miles on it. So, I was wondering if I wanted to buy a brand new GTI, and I ordered a new one, would I be charged beside the regular dealer fees and taxes?

mpuk

I'm in the same boat - ordering, and feel as if I have little negotiation power since the car is not even on the lot. I'm guessing the best thing to do in this case is shop around for the lowest price.

The only issue i'm running into with that strategy, is I'm getting the same story from a few dealers, that they don't know what promotions will be in effect when I take delivery - so any discounts affecting the final price might change.

CoGforever

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in the same boat - ordering, and feel as if I have little negotiation power since the car is not even on the lot. I'm guessing the best thing to do in this case is shop around for the lowest price.

The only issue i'm running into with that strategy, is I'm getting the same story from a few dealers, that they don't know what promotions will be in effect when I take delivery - so any discounts affecting the final price might change.

Dude! I feel the same way!! They'd rape me if I give them that. All my leverage would be taken away

GFL

I ordered a 2017 Autobahn MT Relex Silver on Monday thinking that I would be able to take advantage of Presidents Day sales. The car is due in mid to late May. I was asked to provide a deposit of $500 which I put on a credit card. I was told that the card would not actually be charged until the car was purchased and the deposit is fully refundable at any point. My dealership would not negotiate price saying that the manufacturer incentives for May are unknown at this point- the sales person noted that Memorial Day sales are usually significant. This is completely opposite from my VW buying experience 4 years ago when I ordered a 2013 V6 Passat- price was negotiated then the order was placed. Different dealership that no longer sells VWs. I figure that dealerships will be wanting to start decreasing their 2017 inventory as 2018 models will be arriving in a few months. Also, more information about the 2018 model will be known at that point- if I decide I like the 2018 model better, withdraw my deposit and buy the other car. Just my thoughts.

CoGforever

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered a 2017 Autobahn MT Relex Silver on Monday thinking that I would be able to take advantage of Presidents Day sales. The car is due in mid to late May. I was asked to provide a deposit of $500 which I put on a credit card. I was told that the card would not actually be charged until the car was purchased and the deposit is fully refundable at any point. My dealership would not negotiate price saying that the manufacturer incentives for May are unknown at this point- the sales person noted that Memorial Day sales are usually significant. This is completely opposite from my VW buying experience 4 years ago when I ordered a 2013 V6 Passat- price was negotiated then the order was placed. Different dealership that no longer sells VWs. I figure that dealerships will be wanting to start decreasing their 2017 inventory as 2018 models will be arriving in a few months. Also, more information about the 2018 model will be known at that point- if I decide I like the 2018 model better, withdraw my deposit and buy the other car. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the input. I'm going into this blindly. Not knowing what to expect, how to negotiate or what to say.

GFL

FYI- I asked the forum the other day about the last date to order a 2017 GTI knowing that was going to be my only option to get the car I wanted, like you, with low mileage. I had also been told that the plant in Mexico had stopped manufacturing 2017s and was being upgraded to make the 2018. The good news was that the plant is still making the 2017s but orders must be received by March 30th.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

You, or they, can't finalize a sale & any incentives until the car is on the lot & ready for sale

You could try and negotiate a selling price ahead of time & write up a purchase order with giving them a deposit, but the rebates/incentives from VW are completely different & non-negotiable ahead of time since they vary month to month

GFL

Interestingly enough, today I went to an Audi dealer- was a VW dealership previously where I ordered a Passat and was able to negotiate a deal prior to the delivery of the car. For the fun of it I test drove an A3, S3 and a manual A4. The salesperson remembered me from before and although knowing I have an outstanding order, tried to convince me to order a MT A4 saying that we would negotiate a price before the order was placed. He told me that when he worked for VW, cars could only be ordered if an agreed upon deal was reached first. Something must have changed policy wise with VW specifically in the past 4 years. The salesman also was perplexed how VW and Audi could be so different when it comes to ordering and negotiating a price since they're the "parent company".

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a little bit of a time getting my blue S, so I appreciate getting the color/options you want.

If a dealer can get one in your exact choice at a great deal, scratches are super easy to take care of, assuming in the clear coat still. If you don't want to do it yourself, there are plenty of really good detail shops that will make it look better than new, literally.

I know the whole changing incentive thing, but odds are you will not get close to the same deal as buying from inventory or dealer trade. I've ordered quite a bit of cars, and one thing they should be able to do is give you a % off plus whatever incentives are offered when the car arrives. All of my Audi and Porsche orders have been taken care of like this.

Everyone's different, but I personally would go for one that's here with a set 'good' deal, and would use any imperfections as a negotiating piece. If it's a reputable dealer, they will understand you don't want swirled or scratched up clear coat.

Joel

Ready to race!
Was originally looking for a manual Wolfsburg golf 1.8.
Could not find the color I wanted with a manual, was told I would have to order it...
Ended up getting a manual GTI for 235 more than I was told for the order price and wait on Wolfsburg.
After finding out the insurance was only 39 dollars more a year fore the GTI the decision was clear.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I ordered a Passat and was able to negotiate a deal prior to the delivery of the car

You can do that, of course.
Say the MSRP is $25k on the car, and you "negotiate" $23k.

BUT if they have a $1k owner loyalty going on right now or $500 President's Day "bonus cash" or something.....that can't be negotiated for later on. The price would then be $21.5k only if the car was on the lot & ready to go

If those EXTRA incentives aren't available at the time the car shows up for delivery though...you're "screwed" out of them.
Unless the dealer wants to negotiate the price anymore though....it's up to them.
But they kind of have the upper hand now since they have the EXACT car you want, lol