GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intakes and Airbox

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been researching nearly every different intake and every forum with an intake topic. I know that this is heavily discussed and hard to decide on.

My question is, if I'm to purchase an intake like aFe stage 2(link below) for $320 and it just connects to stock airbox, what makes it special? I'm seeing that with a lot of the popular intakes (aside from the bank breakers that are $450+). Isn't the stock airbox restrictive because it definitely has a restrictive appearance? What makes these any better than more frowned upon intakes like Injen or AF Dynamic's $160 intake(link below)?

http://performance.importrp.com/i-2...wObjEL6MQyi-nr9rw5B6RfJ4meVpHvBrigaAm0B8P8HAQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-VW-MK...ash=item3d21261826:g:yVMAAOSwYIxX8~gy&vxp=mtr

Also, essentially from my take on these more expesive closed intakes that go all the way to grill, what would be the difference from just buying something like the aFe or AF Dynamic intakes I linked and just dremeling out the driver side of the airbox? Are there any cons or negative side affects to this? I live in a rainy climate but so long as there's a drain hole under the intake, wouldn't it be doing the same thing as APR closed intake with just a cheaper, different look?

One other thing I'm curious about since I'm here, why do Injen intakes have such negative reviews on the forums? I've seen on many threads that Injen is actually more restrictive than stock intake, it just makes more noise.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
An open box system like you're looking at sucks hot air in from the engine, you would be better off with a closed box system like VWR, or Unictronics, or APR etc. That said, don't expect anything from your intake other then an increase in sound. I like my car to be relatively quiet so in my MKVI I had APR Stage II with an APR intake (just for a sound increase) and a catted and resonated Ultimate Racing DP.

A lot of the members here are simply using a drop in filter from AFE or a similar company and keeping the stock box. Apparently it's very well designed.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Modified stock box works as good as any of them. :).

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The stock airbox, is by nature of its design, a "cold air intake", especially compared to some of the hideous aftermarket "solutions" that suck in hot air from the engine compartment.

Think long and hard before throwing money at an aftermarket intake. Many of them don't help at all, or worse. The bang-for-the-buck quotient is awful.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Like he said. ^^^ ^^

The stock air box is not a limiting factor. Perhaps you would see some benefit at Stage 3, but by then you have spent $10K so what's another $500.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
Im going to try and fab something up so I can put a cone filter in my autotech intake (essentially still stock airbox). Intakes do very little on these cars...ive had autotech, apr and injen open....tbh they all feel about the same...some improvement over stock but not much at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpw

Ready to race!
So, not to high jack but I've been tinkering with the idea of doing a drop in filter and selling my vwr cup intake. The reasoning is the hot air issue. I'm APR stage 2 with supporting mods full exhaust DV+ and the cup intake. My question is would I loose power switching back to the OEM intake with a aFe filter? Would that be a step backwards?

craigsix

Ready to race!
im running k&n drop in filter snowguard delete cts intake rubber hose and cts inlet pipe. i drilled/dremmeled the drivers side intake for outside air. under $240.

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
The stock airbox, is by nature of its design, a "cold air intake", especially compared to some of the hideous aftermarket "solutions" that suck in hot air from the engine compartment.

Think long and hard before throwing money at an aftermarket intake. Many of them don't help at all, or worse. The bang-for-the-buck quotient is awful.

Thanks for the info. My plan is to do turbo muff delete, and based off your info, probably buy a cheaper intake that pairs with factory airbox. Then going to bring it in for APR stage 2 +DP and intercooler.

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
Kevin would you not recommend doing some dremmel work on the airbox? So even at stage 2 that weird ass looking airbox is pulling in enough? lol It just doesn't make sense to me that there's no back side to the part where air pulls in. But I'm no engineer either hah.

Craig (sorry, don't know how to quote multiple people in one message), the one thing that's been on my mind being in a rainy climate as I am, if you dremmel out the driver side and seeing as the factory intake is flat, won't rain rest on the filter and eventually drop through?

Have any of you seen the roc euro intake? it looks like the whole package for incredibly cheep. Any thoughts? link"
https://roc-euro.com/products/roc-euro-mqb-intake-system

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Why are you so adamant on replacing the stock intake? It's actually really good and if you just put a performance filter in it and remove the snow guard it's better than any of the heat suckers you have posted

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
Why are you so adamant on replacing the stock intake? It's actually really good and if you just put a performance filter in it and remove the snow guard it's better than any of the heat suckers you have posted

Truly just because APR told me to for stage 2 along with my local mechanic. On top of that, seeing so many aftermarket intakes manufacturerers boasting 10+ hp gains if tuned. If it's not necessary, I'm more than happy to stick with the stock intake and not spend $! It isn't that I'm adamant, more that I thought it was a necessity. Jovian, what would you do? I always appreciate others' opinions. Aside from drop in filter and snowboard removal, would you still install new inlet tube and turbo muff delete?