GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
You can still make the GTI a money-pit, you just get to spend the money on things that actually make your car faster or handle better instead of the supporting mods so it doesn't explode.

Truth quote of the day nominated!

Because wheels are cheaper than new boobs. :) I'm finishing off the under body panels, front break ducts, rear sway bar and an APR dogbone insert. Next month depending on finances, Motor, Transmission and pendulum mounts. Over the summer a DP and Magic intercooler.

Boobs > Wheels

You get what you pay for... ;)

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My girl was PISSED when I got my wheels. She was like "They're ugly! And why would you spend so much money on them!"

This is why you buy BBS wheels. You will NEVER get this reaction. You'll get nothing but compliments, hugs & kisses, and probably get some leg later that night.

Just be sure to change the subject quickly when she asks how much you paid for them. If you answer that question (honestly), you'll be sleeping on the couch for several days, and the only leg you'll get is from the hound sleeping up against you. :D

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
My girl was PISSED when I got my wheels. She was like "They're ugly! And why would you spend so much money on them!"

Did she get mad because you responded, "I spend so much money on you..." :D

That's how I would have responded.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This is why you buy BBS wheels. You will NEVER get this reaction. You'll get nothing but compliments, hugs & kisses, and probably get some leg later that night.

Just be sure to change the subject quickly when she asks how much you paid for them. If you answer that question (honestly), you'll be sleeping on the couch for several days, and the only leg you'll get is from the hound sleeping up against you. :D
Am I in the minority of people who don't like BBS wheels?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I realize everyone has their own opinions on mods, so don't take this as an attack or personal. I just feel like misleading marketing tactics are tricking several mk7 owners into believing certain products are required to see performance gains. While dyno charts can show before and after gains, they should also be taken lightly, since conditions and dyno calibration can drastically effect the results. They are simply used as a go/no go tool to test back to back set ups to make sure results net a gain in HP & TQ vs stock. With that said, any "performance" product sold without proof via dyno graph is not very likely to improve performance...otherwise they'd show off the results? Right? Right. So with that said, here's my non brand specific list of mods to avoid, or at least save for last on your mod list and considered "bling or dress up/cosmetics" even tho they're advertised as "performance". I know this will piss a lot of people off, so to them I ask this. Prove me wrong. Prove these products are worth the investment.

1. Turbo Muffler delete- So the outlet of our turbo is the same size as the turbo outlet pipe, which leads to the intercooler, throttle pipe, throttle body, intake manifold, then finally into the head. What little turbulence may or may not happen way back at the turbo muffler (or delete) has no measurable effect on the HP and TQ you feel from the drivers seat. It's purely deleting an acoustic device designed to tame the turbo noise for the masses...that's it.

2. Turbo inlet pipe- That little 90* bend at the inlet of the turbo connecting it to your intake, is it a restriction? Well, no. It's not. The inside diameter of the turbo compressor housing isn't getting any bigger just because you slightly increased the piping just before it. You could do dyno pulls with an open turbo, no inlet pipe or intake at all and the results would be nearly identical. The turbo is not restricted by the stock inlet pipe.

3. Turbo outlet pipe & throttle pipe- Yes, the stock units are plastic and not perfectly round tubing. So is our intake manifold. Guess what? Several cars are making over 400-500whp with all of that ugly plastic in place, because for our turbocharged 2.0 they flow just fine.

4. Cold air intake- The stock intake is well designed, and can very cost effectively be improved with a drop in filter. Dyno results prove that no intake no matter what brand or price point has ever improved power by more than roughly 10whp. Now concider that many intakes cost the same or more than a piggy back power module or real tune (which can add 30-80whp) where is your money better spent? 10<80...there no shame in going the drop in route or even a hated open intake. Both with get you that minimal hp gain, but without the $500 price tag the extravagant carbon fiber units carry (with the same gains)

5. Cat back exhaust- Dual tips, quad tips, ten tips! It doesn't matter, the stock catback is not a restriction even at 450+whp. Proven by the current 1/4 world record holders both gti & R are running stock cat backs. If you've met your power goals and want more aggressive tone go for it, but stock or not you're paying $500-2000 for sound, not HP & TQ. Our cars benefit greatly from a 3" down pipe (esp when tuned to match) and added bonus this also wakes up the exhaust note with most down pipes (excluding those with cat & res options to keep noise to a minimum). Look again at hp gained per dollar spent. How much is 20-30whp worth?

6. Catch cans- Direct injection allows boost and timing otherwise impossible to run safely on pump gas. It also has one drawback that comes to mind, carbon build up on valves. While any modern direct injected turbo charged engine will circulate some oil film/foam thru it's recirculated PCV system ours does a pretty good job of minimizing it. Regardless of installing a catch can tho, between the inevitable oil blow by (damn turbo) and carbon deposits left from direct injection, you WILL need to clean the intake valves. If emptying a can of soupy oil broth helps you sleep at night spend the money on a can, but either way you or your mechanic will be cleaning those valves someday. Nature of the beast.

7. Aftermarket DV, BOV & spacers- The stock DV or diverter valve cuts boost pressure then dumps it back into the inlet of the turbo. This being completely controlled by the ecu and working with our electronically controlled waste gate can adjust boost in fractions of a second to match the engines demands virtually instantaneously. After market DV use old school methods such as dumping boost atmospherically (which causes the car to run rich) and or by vacuum actuation (simple spring and piston held open or closed depending on boost/vacuum in the charge pipes). Some even modified the stock valve to "ensure reliability" but at the end of the day there's no fault with your stock DV! No point in spending money on a part proven to support 500+ hp reliably.

Fire away, bring on the arguments. But if this helps a few members spend their mod money more wisely in the name of performance I've done my job. Bling mod advocates don't forget to bring your dyno graphs to back up you're explanation of why I'm wrong! Go!

Cars are a waste of money, mods are a waste of money. Why the hell are we even here? Lol. There are no independent testing labs in a controlled environment testing any of this stuff so one cannot prove one way or another that any of this stuff incrementally works better than oem. However my guess would be the car that has all of this stuff vs the one that doesn’t may perform better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Cars are a waste of money, mods are a waste of money. Why the hell are we even here? Lol. There are no independent testing labs in a controlled environment testing any of this stuff so one cannot prove one way or another that any of this stuff incrementally works better than oem. However my guess would be the car that has all of this stuff vs the one that doesn’t may perform better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been told that anything that gets the turbo spinning better helps with performance. If it's a $500+ intake I'm not sure but they sound cool.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have been told that anything that gets the turbo spinning better helps with performance. If it's a $500+ intake I'm not sure but they sound cool.

Wait until you're a little bit older - these dopey intakes will sound HIDEOUS to you when some kid pulls up next to you at a stoplight, then takes off and stands on the throttle to produce the silly "whooshing" sounds, which are really nothing more than the sound of a large wad of cash being Hoovered out of the kid's wallet.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Wait until you're a little bit older - these dopey intakes will sound HIDEOUS to you when some kid pulls up next to you at a stoplight, then takes off and stands on the throttle to produce the silly "whooshing" sounds, which are really nothing more than the sound of a large wad of cash being Hoovered out of the kid's wallet.
I'm 43. How much longer do I need to wait?[emoji3]

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I'm 43. How much longer do I need to wait?[emoji3]

I'm about the same age and agree, lol.

I'm thinking Kev never never had or heard an open intake on a MK7.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I'm about the same age and agree, lol.

I'm thinking Kev never never had or heard an open intake on a MK7.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I still get excited whenever I hear an engine rumble or a turbo spool like I did when I was 6.