GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Same here, I just got my Mk7 after owning a 2013 Evo. The must-do mod list seems minimal with the GTI which is nice.

Evo was a money-pit headache, the GTI seems quite the opposite so far.

You can still make the GTI a money-pit, you just get to spend the money on things that actually make your car faster or handle better instead of the supporting mods so it doesn't explode.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
You can still make the GTI a money-pit, you just get to spend the money on things that actually make your car faster or handle better instead of the supporting mods so it doesn't explode.

Money pit is right! Here's my recent progression, as a warning to others.

Woe be to you who dippeth thy toes in the performance waters...

- Deep discount on 2017 model reels me in. Money saved!
- Preemptive strike to stay out of trouble = new radar detector.
- Window tint, because Florida.
- OK, I'll buy the pricier higher octane fuel.
- Car corners great, but these AS tires...wow those PS4s sound good. $.
- I figure I'll get a tune and be done, but...
- How about some more sound? Hmm...downpipe seems to fit the bill, plus there's performance potential there. A little trumpety, so what's a few more bucks for the Vibrant resonator?
- Sounds like a protune is little better than a canned tune...more $.
- What's this FMIC all about? Do I NEED that? Ack.
- Oh crap, is my DSG going to start slipping with my awesome protune torque increase? Plus D mode sucks. TCU tune coming. Cha ching.
- These paddle shifters are fun, but annoyingly short. Wow, look at those billet extensions!
- Dogbones, mounts, sway bars, wheels, meth, E85 mix, turbo upgrades, blah blah blah$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! (whoosh)

Thank God I didn't buy an intake! lol

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Money pit is right! Here's my recent progression, as a warning to others.

Woe be to you who dippeth thy toes in the performance waters...

- Deep discount on 2017 model reels me in. Money saved!
- Preemptive strike to stay out of trouble = new radar detector.
- Window tint, because Florida.
- OK, I'll buy the pricier higher octane fuel.
- Car corners great, but these AS tires...wow those PS4s sound good. $.
- I figure I'll get a tune and be done, but...
- How about some more sound? Hmm...downpipe seems to fit the bill, plus there's performance potential there. A little trumpety, so what's a few more bucks for the Vibrant resonator?
- Sounds like a protune is little better than a canned tune...more $.
- What's this FMIC all about? Do I NEED that? Ack.
- Oh crap, is my DSG going to start slipping with my awesome protune torque increase? Plus D mode sucks. TCU tune coming. Cha ching.
- These paddle shifters are fun, but annoyingly short. Wow, look at those billet extensions!
- Dogbones, mounts, sway bars, wheels, meth, E85 mix, turbo upgrades, blah blah blah$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! (whoosh)

Thank God I didn't buy an intake! lol

hehehehe

The Tomioka calls....

Hockey

Ready to race!
I'm sure if you ask your wife/girlfriend all mods are a waste of money.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm sure if you ask your wife/girlfriend all mods are a waste of money.

True facts. My girlfriend was not pleased when she found out the cost of my AWE Track catback. Not wasted money if you buy it for the sound, not the "horsepower gain"

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
True facts. My girlfriend was not pleased when she found out the cost of my AWE Track catback. Not wasted money if you buy it for the sound, not the "horsepower gain"

My girl was PISSED when I got my wheels. She was like "They're ugly! And why would you spend so much money on them!"

Dealer

Ready to race!
Every mod is a waste of $

Dealer

Ready to race!

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
My girl was PISSED when I got my wheels. She was like "They're ugly! And why would you spend so much money on them!"

My girlfriend doesn’t really understand why I do anything to my car but she understands it’s my $$ and makes me happy, she smiles and says what’s next.
Accept she has said no loud exhaust like last car ?
Greatest thing a ex taught me was separate bank accounts, her, his and house!!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
yeah i think the majority of the mods have been viewed as needless by my wife... that said, when she does notice/like a mod, its usually due to its utility. She saw the merit of the upgraded headlights, liked the helix audio way more than stock... that kind of stuff...

since funds for car modding come around so rarely, i try to really prioritize what I get done. i would really like to waste some money on folding mirrors at some point... that would be fun... :D

Last edited:

athos56

Ready to race!

Because wheels are cheaper than new boobs. :) I'm finishing off the under body panels, front break ducts, rear sway bar and an APR dogbone insert. Next month depending on finances, Motor, Transmission and pendulum mounts. Over the summer a DP and Magic intercooler.