GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I am considering JB4 for my 2017 SportWagen. Compared to my stock 2016 Golf S, the Wagen feels sluggish on city streets. I have little need to engage turbo with most city driving, thus seeking a tune that improves response and torque at the lower rpm bands and without activating turbo. Can JB4 do this?

The turbo is always active and engaged. There is no real on/off switch. As soon as you give it any gas at all there is boost being delivered. The JB4 increases that amount of boost which equates to more power.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I am considering JB4 for my 2017 SportWagen. Compared to my stock 2016 Golf S, the Wagen feels sluggish on city streets. I have little need to engage turbo with most city driving, thus seeking a tune that improves response and torque at the lower rpm bands and without activating turbo. Can JB4 do this?

Basically, it sounds like you want a more responsive throttle on the low end. Unfortunately, the JB4 cannot do this. This is one of the areas where a tune does something the JB4 can't. The JB4 only starts doing things once you are making boost, not before, but a tune can adjust the throttle response everywhere.

I've also heard of something called a pedal box, which seems more common with the diesel VW's and not in the US. As I understand it, basically it adjusts your throttle curve relative to your pedal, tricking the computer into thinking you are using more throttle than you are. I am personally biased against these because you can accomplish the same thing just by pushing your foot down harder, but I think it's designed to fix your very problem.

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
The turbo is always active and engaged. There is no real on/off switch. As soon as you give it any gas at all there is boost being delivered. The JB4 increases that amount of boost which equates to more power.

Basically, it sounds like you want a more responsive throttle on the low end. Unfortunately, the JB4 cannot do this. This is one of the areas where a tune does something the JB4 can't. The JB4 only starts doing things once you are making boost, not before, but a tune can adjust the throttle response everywhere.

I've also heard of something called a pedal box, which seems more common with the diesel VW's and not in the US. As I understand it, basically it adjusts your throttle curve relative to your pedal, tricking the computer into thinking you are using more throttle than you are. I am personally biased against these because you can accomplish the same thing just by pushing your foot down harder, but I think it's designed to fix your very problem.

Good info much appreciated! If anyone else has more please post.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Having only had a JB4 and never a flash, I would have to disagree with you greatly. Under any throttle the engine starts to make boost. Just adding the JB4 gave my car more power all around. With the last firmware update, it's now incredibly smooth under part throttle as well. Yes the tune will do different things, but you still can't beat the JB4 for how you can adjust it for your driving style.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
After all this time I've finally had a chance to do some tuning with the downpipe. Initial results are looking pretty good. As I expected I haven't been able to push it up quite as high as I was with e85, but it's not far off. boost in the mid range has increased by 2psi even though I only increased boost a tiny bit.

https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/downpipe-4psi?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-25-26-27-28 (1st log, pre-heatsoak. Only +4psi max)
https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/downpipe-55psi?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-25-26-27-28 (4th ish log, heatsoaked. +5.5 psi max, but too much timing drop so boost reduced)
https://datazap.me/u/meltedsolid/downpipe-5psi?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-25-26-27-28 (Last log, heatsoaked. +5psi max, what I'm sticking with for now)

I'll try logging the last one again when I'm not so heatsoaked, but the timing rarely gets much above 11 when the IAT is 115+. Next engine mod is definitely an intercooler.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Solid boost numbers, I am assuming this is on 91 octane? Question: looks like you are running very rich based on the afr. Wouldn't there be more power left on the table if you were to lean it out a bit and how would this be done with the jb4 if at all?

That rich AFR is just how APR does their tune, there's not much I can do about it. I suppose I might make a bit more power with a leaner mixture all other things being equal, but I think APR's logic is that the rich mixture cools down the cylinder allowing for safer power. And based on APR's reputation and numbers I really don't think it hurts power much.

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
That rich AFR is just how APR does their tune, there's not much I can do about it. I suppose I might make a bit more power with a leaner mixture all other things being equal, but I think APR's logic is that the rich mixture cools down the cylinder allowing for safer power. And based on APR's reputation and numbers I really don't think it hurts power much.

Just realized you are apr stacked ?...I’m going the same route so good to see some logs posted.

Steenbeek

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry guys for coming up with a new topic, but does anyone of you recognize vibrations when accelerating from low rpm with DSG manual?
I try to figure out what it is. I have a relative strong map6 setup and start wot at 2000 in high gear (4/5/6). I hear and feel (in the steering wheel) some vibrations. At higher RPM they are gone. In the logs I can't see anything suspicious.

Gesendet von meinem ZUK Z2121 mit Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
You mean lugging? Yea, don't do that. Downshift before using throttle. Common knowledge with us manual guys. Generally anything above 2500 tends to entirely eliminate any lugging for me, but I can do about half throttle at 2000 safely.

Steenbeek

Passed Driver's Ed
You mean lugging? Yea, don't do that. Downshift before using throttle. Common knowledge with us manual guys. Generally anything above 2500 tends to entirely eliminate any lugging for me, but I can do about half throttle at 2000 safely.
What is lugging?
I have DSG but I often drive it manually. So wot at 2000 is not good?

Gesendet von meinem ZUK Z2121 mit Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i