GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

Joel

Ready to race!
I believe the torque limiter is called under " starting vibration reduction" atleast for the obd11 tweak.

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone else can chime in, but I don't think the GTI has torque limiting like Ford does... I sold my Focus RS because of how neutered the car was in 1st and 2nd because of the aggressive torque limiting.

I have a Ecoboost Mustang their logic is a handful.

Davedough

Ok, I just got my JB4 and spent a couple of hours in the garage getting it installed. I could have been quicker, but I couldn't get the plug D to remove from up top, so that took extra time and I was being very particular about routing the wires perfectly.. anyway.

I took it out after I was done and on a lonely straight road, I did about 8 or so WOT pulls. I grabbed about 5 logs. I have a DSG, I put the JB4 in Map 2, I'm running 93 octane (have since I bought it almost 2 years ago) and the ambient temps outside were about 82F in the dark.

Before I start inundating people here with logs from a first run, I just wanted to ask how long it takes the JB4 to "learn" your car. The pulls felt hard but inconsistent. It would build up boost down low in 3rd at about 2,000 where I'd begin (or thereabout) and when I'd push the throttle down to just before the kickdown, I'd get a rush of boost, but I could feel it lightly backing off boost and then rushing into it again throughout the range of the gear through 3rd and 4th. I had to stop at the top of 4th because I hit speeds that would have gotten me in a lot of trouble. Subsequent pulls seemed to have this effect a little lighter, but I don't know if its just because it was actually less of a loss of boost or if it was just me getting used to it.

Anyway, long post short. Is this normal and will it even out as I drive it more?

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, I just got my JB4 and spent a couple of hours in the garage getting it installed. I could have been quicker, but I couldn't get the plug D to remove from up top, so that took extra time and I was being very particular about routing the wires perfectly.. anyway.

I took it out after I was done and on a lonely straight road, I did about 8 or so WOT pulls. I grabbed about 5 logs. I have a DSG, I put the JB4 in Map 2, I'm running 93 octane (have since I bought it almost 2 years ago) and the ambient temps outside were about 82F in the dark.

Before I start inundating people here with logs from a first run, I just wanted to ask how long it takes the JB4 to "learn" your car. The pulls felt hard but inconsistent. It would build up boost down low in 3rd at about 2,000 where I'd begin (or thereabout) and when I'd push the throttle down to just before the kickdown, I'd get a rush of boost, but I could feel it lightly backing off boost and then rushing into it again throughout the range of the gear through 3rd and 4th. I had to stop at the top of 4th because I hit speeds that would have gotten me in a lot of trouble. Subsequent pulls seemed to have this effect a little lighter, but I don't know if its just because it was actually less of a loss of boost or if it was just me getting used to it.

Anyway, long post short. Is this normal and will it even out as I drive it more?

Running a flash also?

Davedough

Running a flash also?

No, otherwise bone stock minus a high flow air filter on the airbox and removed the snow guard, so basically nothing.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie

Could that be from heat soak? I mean 82 and multiple pulls adds up doesn't it? Sure George will know[emoji41] [emoji106]

Sent using Pied Piper middle out compression app

Davedough

Could that be from heat soak? I mean 82 and multiple pulls adds up doesn't it? Sure George will know[emoji41] [emoji106]

Sent using Pied Piper middle out compression app

I imagine that's possible. It's pretty humid here tonight too.

Just in case if it helps, here are the logs I was able to get in order of when I took them. From what little I know of them, they look clean. I don't notice any timing pulls when I enable ign2-6

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/initial-pull?log=0&data=1-4

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/log-1500604910?log=0&data=1-4

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/log-1500605624?log=0&data=1-4

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/log-1500605767?log=0&data=1-4

Last edited:

skian

Ready to race!
I imagine that's possible. It's pretty humid here tonight too.

Just in case if it helps, here are the logs I was able to get in order of when I took them. From what little I know of them, they look clean. I don't notice any timing pulls when I enable ign2-6

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/initial-pull?log=0&data=1-4

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/log-1500604910?log=0&data=1-4

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/log-1500605624?log=0&data=1-4

http://www.datazap.me/u/davedough/log-1500605767?log=0&data=1-4

Your intake temps are hitting 140. That will impact power output. There are some timing pull on i think your 3rd run however its not high. It's generally considered acceptable if its less than -3. Your ignition advance is also pretty low. This is likely due to the high IAT, but gas quality can also affect that. Are you running 93oct?

Davedough

Your intake temps are hitting 140. That will impact power output. There are some timing pull on i think your 3rd run however its not high. It's generally considered acceptable if its less than -3. Your ignition advance is also pretty low. This is likely due to the high IAT, but gas quality can also affect that. Are you running 93oct?

Yes, I've put 93 in it since day 1. That makes sense about the throttle temps though. This is all new to me so I don't really know what I'm looking at with the logs. I've figured some of it out just from this thread but other parts evade me.

Davedough

intercooler

Man, I'd love to, but I don't have the funds. Are those pretty much bolt up so long as your replace the piping or is there some fabrication that goes into installing them?

skian

Ready to race!
Man, I'd love to, but I don't have the funds. Are those pretty much bolt up so long as your replace the piping or is there some fabrication that goes into installing them?

Each one is different, but you shouldn't need any actual fabrication. I have the CTS FMIC(still on sale btw). The toughest part was drilling the 2 mounting holes in the crash bar, but other than that the piping lines right up.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Ya your IAT are way high (140 F). Until you bring those down, no sense in running anything above MAP 1 or MAP 2.
The whole point of running MAP 6 is being able to play with boost. Adding boost with these IAT would only make things worst ...

Davedough

Ya your IAT are way high (140 F). Until you bring those down, no sense in running anything above MAP 1 or MAP 2.
The whole point of running MAP 6 is being able to play with boost. Adding boost with these IAT would only make things worst ...

Ok.

It was very hot yesterday and I had been doing a lot of driving prior to installing the JB4 and then doing my initial run. I probably had a lot of residual heat in my engine bay.