GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundskins sound-deadening material review

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
How hard is it to remove/reinstall the door panels? I had someone break my front passenger window to steal my radar detector and I can still hear glass even after it was all "cleaned" and replaced by insurance. Thinking about removing and cleaning again myself.

Pretty simple. Two torx screws to unscrew, don't remember the size, maybe T30, and one of them is behind the door handle trim, then one "screw" at the bottom center that you rotate, then pull out from bottom, then pull the whole thing upward to pull it out of the window... basically.

I used USP's folding mirror install as a guide. I believe I posted the link in the original post.

Is there an only place to purchase? How do you know about the new product launch?

I went directly to their website and found vendors in my area and called around for the best price, and picked them up locally. The way I found out was that I recommended the same thing to a friend, he called a vendor today and they asked him "which one" he wanted. He asked me and I was like... there's only one! Then I went to the website and found some Instagram posts showing that they had just released the other versions. So there's that story...

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
How much does dynamite cost and weigh?

Any idea on how much it would cost to pay someone to do this? I enjoy working on performance parts but I hate dealing with trim and plugs... also... who would install something like this?

It's considered insurance fraud, probably just better to sell the car. :D

B95zP

Ready to race!
Tesa tape! It is magical! :)

Tesa tape is amazing! Worth every penny.

Installed sound deadening on the hatch this weekend, and noticed the weight is too much for the air shocks now. It only opens about halfway. :D:D

Between that and the trunk area the car is quieter. I'm looking forward to what it's like after I do under the rear seats and doors.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Anytime! I am still so pleased and constantly impressed by how much better everything sounds after this mod :)

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Anytime! I am still so pleased and constantly impressed by how much better everything sounds after this mod :)
I'm pretty amazed even bone stock at how quiet this car is compared to my mk6 Golf. And that car was much quieter than my previous 06 Honda Accord that had some serious work done as far as the sound system goes. The accord also had all the doors and even the trunk done with sound absorption.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Thanks for this and the how to on door panel removal.

I've started this with a budget version of sound deadening sold on Amazon. My passenger door has a vibration that's obvious when the front passenger base is turned up. I'm doing the whole car, but I completed that door and I'm cautiously optimistic that the vibration problem is solved. I'll know for sure when the weather heats up as it tended to be extreme when the car is left out in the afternoon sun.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Hi OP, is there any trick to removing the rear door panels? I followed the theme of removing the top of the door pull, then remove the torx screws, then pull on the panel.

Maybe I'm just getting weak but couldn't break them loose. Wondered if there is another fastener in the back or do I just have a stubborn panel? Thanks for any advice.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Hey there! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, yes there is another sort of screw behind the reflector at the bottom of the door. I thought I mentioned that somewhere but I will look at updating my post if I didn't.

I hope you enjoy your Amazon stuffs! Should help cut down vibrations for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk